“I felt that I got alot for the money. I had a suite with...”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Convention Center
Ranked #257 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Fort Myers
“I felt that I got alot for the money. I had a suite with...”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I felt that I got alot for the money. I had a suite with frig, sink, dishwasher and microwave which enabled us to save some money on our trip by eating in. It was also nice to have a buffet breakfast included with our stay. Some of the food was not very good but they always had fresh fruit, bagels and cereal that was good. The bed was very comfortable but the room had a musty damp smell.

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

gmwestwood, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Convention Center, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Dear Bonita,
Thank you for your review.I am happy to read that you got value for your money and overall enjoyed your stay.
Binta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Imagine a long day at wondering around the World and you check in with your two totally tired grandchildren (6 & 9). It is time to go to bed early to prepare for the next day and...at 8PM your room begins to rattle and shake because a lawnmower engine has been started in the hall immediately (almost touching) the door to your room. This engine is attached to a roto rooter line being used to get something foreign from the toilet in the unoccupied -- I repeat -- unoccupied room across the hall.
Now imagine you call the desk and the nice young girl is all about apology, but says, "there is nothing I can do because there is no manager available. You ask why they don't wait until morning to do their work? She says, "I really don't know." You say please phone a manager and she says, "there is no manager available?" So the bottom line is, an average hotel properly managed can provide an above average stay. An mismanaged average hotel can really mess up an otherwise wonderful day....Also, the TV didn't work and the guys with the roto rooter in the hall where yelling in their cell phones trying to overcome the sound of the machine...I mean it really was an I Love Lucy moment... but I date myself...

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
1 Thank Jim G
Dear Jim,
Once again I apologize for the short disturbance caused by the plumbers.As I had mentioned in my previous response to your earlier review it was a matter that needed immediate attention and management handled it exceptionally without too much inconvenience to almost all the guests in house.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We stayed here for a week (had to go home early due to family illness).

The staff are very helpful and cheerful. There was a lovely girl on reception (early twenties, asian, wears lots of eyeliner) who let me use her own phone when it turned out the hotel doesn't dial 800 numbers and I had to dial one to try to authorise an onine order. There was no need for her to trust me with her phone but she was concerned my order wouldn't come, and was very lovely about the whole thing.

The free breakfast does the job, although the foods available could have been alternated every day. There is a selection of 4 cereals, white or brown toast (a note to staff, having butter available would have meant the toast would be edible!) plus hot foods like scrambled egg, sausages etc, and sometimes yoghurt, pancakes and fruit. The fruit was always orange and grapefruit; some apples or bananas would have been nice for those who don't like citrus. In saying that, the breakfast is free, and does well for that fact. There is also juice, water and coffee available.

The pool was lovely, although far too many insects in it - only to be expected when it's outside in the height of summer! Lots of seating for guests, and towels available also.

The hotel also had a small convenience shop, a stamp machine, soda vending machines and lots of leaflets. The fitness suite was always empty and in darkness (and not well signposted).

We had room 407. It was clean and bright, although the berry scented air freshener was unplugged on day one because it was so strong! We found everything in the room great except the coffee percolator. Try making a cup of tea with that and you will grow a beard by the time it's done! We bought a kettle and left it in the room - British guests who aren't coffee drinkers couldn't live with the percolator. The fridge was ample sized and kept everything icy cold. Fresh coffe cups and palstic cups were provided every day. The hot water was great, although the bath is a little slippy. A bathmat on the floor wouldn't go amiss either, we had to keep wasting towels on the floor to stand on to stop us slipping. The beds were comfy and there was plenty of storage space in the living room and bedroom. The cleaner was efficient and polite, although we didn't see the sheets being changed, but to be fair we might have been reading at those points. One night we found out during a thunderstorm that the window was letting in slightly, but we alerted the staff the day we left.

The hotel is at the bottom end of i-Drive so you cannot walk to entertainment; buses and taxis are the only option. Food is an issue as well. There is a McDonalds 15 mins walk away (do NOT try walking there in 36 degrees. Your shoes will melt). However, the Village Inn, 3 blocks away, was amazing! Each main meals comes with two free sides (and often with fries and soup or a scone too) and free refills on your drinks. We went on a Wednesday and got two pork chops with fries, with a bowl of fruit and mashed potatoes and gravy, and 5 battered chicken tenders with fries, fruit, soup and two scones, two cokes with two free refills, and a slice of french silk pie and a slice if apple pit. Total? $26, because Wednesday is free pie day. We had to take the leftovers back to the hotel every time we went so we got two meals each for the money. The chicken noodle soup was particularly tasty. The menu is huge, and you don't pay much for great, tasty food. Being so close to the hotel is the best thing!

1 Thank Caroline M
Dear Caroline,
I am sorry to hear that you had to return home midway through your vacation.I wish your family member a speedy recovery.Thank you for taking the time during your difficult period to write such an extensive review.I hope you will be able to come back soon and enjoy a much more memorable vacation.
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Room spacious though older. It was clean but beds terrible. Don't stay here unless you sleep well on a board like mattress. I'm very disappointed. Nice kitchen in room. Pool area nice. Check in person didn't know where the room was or much about room, just the floor it was on.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Sweetestsue
gmwestwood, Front Office Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Convention Center, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Dear Sweetestsue,
Thank you for your review.Let me apologize if you found the mattress to hard.Many have found them to be softer and many have loved the firmness.Again I apologize sincerely for not getting any sleep but hopefully enjoyed the rest of our facilities.
Kewal
Peoria, IL
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Our first room (512) was moldy, the air conditioning unit was full of it. I didn't want to be a complainer so I bought Lysol and sprayed an entire can, but I'm allergic to mold and of course this spraying was pointless. I asked for a new room (I have never done this before), checked it out (517), it was as bad as or worse than the 1st one. Staff was VERY nice about it. They sent maintenance up to clean the unit but that just released more mold into the room and it smelled even worse. Maybe if you weren't allergic you wouldn't notice? The maintenance guy was really nice too, and offered to switch the unit out with one across the hall. I followed him over there to look at it first, noticed that room smelled fine, so I asked to switch. It was a totally different type of room (it was #512) and the hotel was very full, but they did let me do it and didn't charge me more. I would say this hotel is old and has seen a LOT of use over the years but they have done what they could to update it without breaking the bank, so don't expect super luxury, but the staff was so helpful that it saved our situation. The pool is nice and clean, they provide pool towels, they have laundry facilities, and the prices in the little shop are not as bad as you would expect so close to the parks. Our room had a little kitchenette. It is less than 5 minutes to Sea World & the Orange County Convention Center, and you just jump on Westwood and stay on it to get back to the airport. The manager or owner was walking around during breakfast, obviously proud of his hotel and happy to be there. That means more to me than the visible conduit in the hallway ceiling or some patchy paint repairs here and there. Had I stayed in my first room I'd be really unhappy, but I liked the one we moved to and if you have a problem, all you have to do is ask the desk about it and give them a chance to fix it!

Room Tip: DO NOT stay in 513 or 517, they are moldy. I would suggest Mgmt hose down the inside of the A/C unit...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear KellyA67,Thank you for taking the time to write such an informative review.You are absolutely correct in your remarks regarding the staff here.They do an excellent job,in many cases going beyond their official duties,to take care of the needs of our guests.Let me assure you that we perform regular cleaning of the air conditioners and we had our engineers thoroughly clean the units and steam clean the carpets to clear any issues with the rooms.Thank you again for giving us an opportunity to correct the problem and making the rest of your stay satisfactory.
Kewal