“A place to sleep and wash up ONLY”

Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Center - Sports Complex
Ranked #271 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Very disappointing. We had to take dirty towels and exchange at the front desk, there was no housekeeping service, breakfast was all garbage and sugar! It was a place to sleep and take a shower (with a door that wouldn't close or lock). If just needing a place to sleep and shower with no amenities...then this is your place. We couldn't even use the pool to the Extended stay america in front of us as we didn't pay the expensive $$ to allow us to use it (per the girl at the front desk)
I hate to leave bad reviews but it was just a sad situation.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Center - Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for the maintenance issues and the level of cleanliness in your room. I will meet with our entire staff to review our maintenance policies and cleaning procedures to ensure that your experience is not repeated. Please know, our housekeeping service is provided once a week for guests staying 8 or more nights. For those who are staying for shorter periods of time, services can be purchased for a minimal fee.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Overall lighting in the facility is poor and depressing. There were no shampoos or lotions included in the room. The breakfast was inadequate and not quickly replenished and the area was less than clean. The breakfast included syrups but nothing to put it on and consisted of only dry cereal, instant oatmeal and breads with coffee and watery juice. So dissappointed that after the first day of my three day stay, we went to Denny's for breakfast. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND BREAKFAST FOR ANYONE THERE. Some people came in, looked and walked away in disgust. No room servicing during the three days. Would have been better to reserve three separate and consecutive nights stays, then each room would have been serviced. Additionally, the facility was hard to find, since it sits behind another of the same name, which had a pool and ours did not nor were we advised as to whether we could even use it.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any pets in nearby room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Center - Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I sincerely apologize that our breakfast options were not to your satisfaction. Your comments will be useful as continue to improve our breakfast offering. As well, I am sorry that our housekeeping policy did not meet your travel needs. We provide housekeeping services to guests staying eight or more nights; however, please know that these services are always available upon request for an additional fee. Toiletries are also available upon request at the front desk. Finally, I am sorry that you had issues with the lighting in your room and finding our location. Thank you again for all of your great comments. We hope to have the opportunity to provide you with a better stay in the future.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

In our first room #120 the bathroom was unacceptable, they changed us to room #101. We left our luggage and returned late at night, when we realized that the beds were unchanged with hair on sheets and pillow cases, also the garbage pail under de sink in the kitchenette was full with garbage, it took us an hour to find somebody who was no well trained to deal with this situation, the only thing he did was apologizing, finally he tried to find another room, but the facility was full, started another apology until I suggested to change the linen for clean ones, of course we had to change the beds. We ended the day at 3 am. Really a nightmare!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Klau5

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I sincerely apologize that both rooms were not to your satisfaction and that our staff was unable to help you with your situation. I will be speaking with our staff to ensure that the rooms are properly cleaned and proper procedures are taken with these types of issues so that this does not happen again in the future. Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at occ2@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

My most recent stay in Orlando was a gamble because, being that it's Spring Break, most of my usual choices were either fully booked or marked up too high. I thought I'd return to the area of town I always favored as a kid, the Westwood area (west of International between the Beachline and Sea World). It's a quieter area, a little off the beaten path, but with a small, convenient strip mall within walking distance. My friend often stays at the Hawthorne Suites so I thought I'd give the Extended Stay America a try.

Let me clarify that there are two completely separate ESAs on neighboring properties, 6443 and 6451 Westwood Blvd. I chose the property in the back at random, though I thought it may be a bit quieter. It was small with really no frills about it, but as this was mostly a place to sleep it was fine.

Check-in was quick and easy. When we arrived at the room the first thing we noticed was that the comforter was very dirty and unchanged (I know that there is a common practice of not washing these as often, but this was NOTICEABLY foul). I told the desk about it and they handed me a freshly laundered one wrapped up in clingwrap, no problem.

The bed itself was new and very comfortable. The amenities were fine, including the kitchenette, bathroom, cabinets, and television. It was a spartan facility, but did have silverware and table settings for two, as well as a few pots and pans to use on the two-burner range. Also, it had a full sized refrigerator. All in all, the room was bit tight but exactly what you'd need for a two night stay or a full working month.

The hotel, while up against the Beachline Expressway, was quiet. It was a full stay but very quiet all around. The only drawback of being on the backside of the property was our room was situated next to a security floodlight for the parking lot, and in direct line of sight of a floodlight from the back of the Convention Center, though that was just dumb luck.

Breakfast was described as 'grab-and-go', and only consisted of toast, small rolls, cereal, oranges, juice, and coffee. That was an accurate description.

Check-out was just as easy. The odd thing about the experience is that through the ESA website I received a 20% discount, though they don't apply that until check-out. Essentially, they charge you the full price and the refund you the discount upon leaving. Odd, but just be forewarned.

The staff were AWESOME. All very friendly, competent, and knowledgeable. Couldn't have been better.

The negative aspects were, and I think that this might have to do with it being pet friendly, there was a constant odor throughout the building. Even the hallways smelled of...well, at times there was a wafting, lingering scent of 'recreational merriment' from other rooms, though that has to do with the guests and not the building upkeep. We purchased a small air freshener and placed it on the air conditioning unit and it did wonders for 97 cents. Also, personally I just couldn't get comfortable here. I don't know if it was just a strange bed or the colours of the room or just something about the building itself, but I just never felt relaxed. But again, that's more to do with the guest than the hotel.

I like staying off of Westwood because it's easy to access Universal Blvd., Turkey Lake Rd., and side roads other than International. Walmart, K-Mart, and Publix are not far, and there's a new Wawa plus other convenient shops and pharmacies within a mile.

So this ESA was fine. It had its upshots and downshots, but in the end it proved convenient, adequate, and fully functional. Would I stay here again? Well, let me just say I wouldn't not stay here again, it's just I'd search my options out extensively before reserving a room. But I think that's just me. It'd be kind of tight for a family of more than four, but if you need a no nonsense quiet base to hit the parks from, then this might be the right place for you.

Room Tip: Ask if there are rooms on the 3rd floor. No neighbors above you and less traffic from the elevator...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Center - Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I’m so glad that you enjoyed your comfortable bed, our quiet location, and your fully equipped kitchen. As well, it’s great to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and knowledgeable. I will be sure to share your comments with the entire staff. Still, I apologize that the cleanliness of your comforter and the smell of our hotel did not meet your expectations. I will be meeting with our housekeeping staff to ensure these issues do not occur in the future. Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Clean and comfortable but hidden directly behind another extended stay. The whole area was under construction and this hotel was up against i-4 so traffic noises were significant. Regardless it was a great value!

• Stayed: February 2014

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I am glad to hear that we were able to provide you with a clean, comfortable stay at a great value. Still, I apologize that you had difficulties getting to our location. As well, I am sorry to hear that you experienced noise disturbance due to the nearby traffic. Your feedback will be useful as we continue to improve our guest offering. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

I recently stayed here with my family. The hotel is behind a newer Extended Stay on the same property. This one seems worn and in need of upgrades and cleaning. The complimentary breakfast was fine for my young children. Walls are thin and you can hear above you and next to you. Beds are extremely firm and we found uncomfortable. Queen beds are double beds -- very small. Overall just ok and what I expected.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I spent a week here with my husband and 2 kids at the end of December and it was an absolute nightmare. We had a room on the first floor and at all hours of the night we were being woken up by someone beating and banging around in the room above us. Numerous times we had to call the front desk to ask them to stop. It got to the point where we started calling their room ourselves because nothing anyone did at the front desk helped. The one time that we managed to make it down for breakfast there wasn't much of a selection on anything due to none of the food being refreshed as people were eating. I had to have my room key replaced 3 times, once after being locked outside when it wouldn't work. There were no pans in the room to cook with and only 2 plates and 2 sets of silverware. I have stayed at the extended stay in Pompano for months at a time and LOVED it, and thought that this one would be almost the same, boy was I wrong. I will not make this mistake again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family