“Comfortable and quiet, but they need to work on the details”

Monumental Hotel Orlando
Ranked #200 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Miami, Florida
“Comfortable and quiet, but they need to work on the details”
Reviewed 5 June 2011

First, the good... the hotel is quiet and tranquil, the beds are comfortable, the rooms are spacious enough, a nice variety of pillows to fit all tastes, parking seems sufficient.

Now, the problems... they really need to look at some of the details of care that make the difference between a top hotel and a budget motel. Especially in the bathroom. One of the fresh towels had a small but clear orange stain on it. The clothes hook on the door had obviously been ripped off at some point and never replaced. The fasteners hold up the shower rods were not properly secured and as a result the whole thing was shifty and unstable. But all these are "little things". So the q is do they sweat the little things.

The big one this place needs to work on is branding. I guess they're in some sort of transition, because signage outside and around the hotel is horrible / nearly non-existent. I pulled in and spent 10 mins driving around the property at night trying to ensure I was in the right place!

So... if you're looking to pay just a little more than the cheapo places and get a nice comfortable upper-middle level place for a fair price, this'll do. If you're expecting Disney Grand Floridian level experience at 1/3 of that price, you're in for disappointment. This place is above average.

Room Tip: Specify when you reserve if you want a king bed.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank blg1538

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Fairfax VA
Reviewed 2 June 2011

We arrived at this hotel for a family affair. Upon arrival we asked and recieved a room upgrade that gave us more room for our needs.
We found our room to be quite comfortable and clean with an oversized bathroom and large bedroom. We also had a nice livingroom with a small fridge and microwave.
The hotel is quiet most of the time, the pool is clean and sparkling and not many chlidren around so noise level was low.
The restaurant is only open on certain days for dinner, but is open for breakfast everyday.
There are many other dining options available nearby.
We will be back to stay here again. We enjoyed the "quietness" of the place

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank deedeeFairfaxVA
Sarasota
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Called to make a reservation for tomorrow night Thursday May 26th. Found a coupon online for $59.00 which said to call the hotel and mention code OTIB, print coupon and bring to hotel at check-in. Called the hotel and the phone was anwsered by a very rude person. I asked if there was availability for tomorrow night and he said maybe... then I asked about the OTIB discount and he acted iritated and said all we got is $79.00 a night. So I said.... have a nice day!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wrightman1

Travellers are raving about these Orlando hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2011

I stayed at the Monumental Hotel for 5 nights in April this year and would definitely recommend it. It’s a relatively small and very quiet hotel, which is great for people like me who love going to the theme parks but like a peaceful place to sleep afterwards.
It’s at the southern end of I-drive, so you don’t get the same amount of traffic as you would further north and although the nearest restaurant is about a bit of a walk down the road, there are plenty of buses and the I-ride trolley can get you pretty much anywhere you want to go. The Premium Outlet mall, a Publix supermarket and Walgreens are only 5 minutes away by bus, the I-ride or car.
There's a mini bar size fridge in the room so you can store food if you want. This saved me a fair bit of cash, as I could take my own sandwiches, snacks and bottles of water to the theme parks, which meant I then only had to buy dinner each day.
The pool area is very nice, the cabanas could use a little maintenance, but the jacuzzi and the pool itself were lovely. The one thing that would have made it better still is if someone from the bar came out to the pool area from time to time & offered me a drink :-)
As some people have mentioned in previous posts, some of the decor is getting a little tired but I think for the price you pay slightly faded chairs in the room are not really an issue, especially if you’re spending most of the day at the parks anyway. I booked an advance purchase non-refundable rate through Expedia and got a King room at Easter time for £32 (approx. $50) per night, as opposed to the cheapest Disney resort I could find which was £90 per night (approx. $140).
As I was out at the parks all day I never had dinner at the hotel, but I had breakfast one morning which was fine.
A car would be useful if you have a family to transport. If you use the local buses, you have to transfer between different routes no matter which park you’re going to, which was OK for me travelling by myself but would be boring for kids. If you do plan on using the Lynx buses I recommend that you download the timetables and print out a few copies to take with you.
If you like a big, buzzy hotel with hoardes of staff and guests, then this isn't the place to go, but if you're like me and prefer a nice, quiet place with unobtrusive but friendly staff, the Monumental is a great choice. It was excellent value for money and much better than a 2000 room hotel like Disney's with loads of screaming kids dive bombing in the pool!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank west49th
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I booked this Hotel getting a great deal, but having no idea, on what to expect. I must confess that I was very nervous after reading other reviews of other hotels, but the worse thing I read about his hotel was that it was 'like a ghost town'.

On arrival it seemed like a 'Ghost town', but that was not a bad thing, as it meant at night time we had peace!

My only negative comment would have to be when checking out I was given a bill for a service charge (which I thought I had paid everything when making the booking) The Charge was only $13.?? ($6.?? per night), but would have be nice to be told this before hand.

The rooms was to a HIGH standard, everything was clean. I had a problem one morning with the iron, house keeping replaced it straight away. Free internet connection in the room. The bathroom was very clean. The pool was clean.

My summary- well worth more money than I had paid. We were about 15 mins away from Disney, 5 from Seaworld. It was clean, and the quality was great. Would recommend, just ask about the service charge!

Room Tip: Check out the reviews
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank slcw
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed 22 April 2011

I was 9 days with my family at the Monumental Hotel Orlando and loved it. The room is big and comfortable. Clean and completely mold. the heated pool is very tasty and the hotel is so quiet that despite being crowded, it seemed there was nobody. great to sleep, relax and enjoy. It is very close to the Outlet and close to Disney Parks. Recommend.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank serejo
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 April 2011

We had a fantastic trip at Monumental. Clean, spacious room, comfortable amenities, and we LOVED the fact (as adult travelers) that there were few children and few residents in the hotel. Not that we are opposed to kids, but it is a spectacularly quiet environment. The pool is gorgeous, clean, and lightly attended. The location is close to I-4 and Sea World, a short trip to anything we needed. For the price, at a peak week of travel, this hotel was fantastic!

My one and only complaint is that our booking was not quite as we thought. I had some trouble with confirmations and the number or days we were staying. It worked out fine, but the front desk wasn't terribly concerned about the mistake, and didn't really work with me well to fix it. I could certainly have put up a bigger stink, but if they simply had e-mail confirmations it would solve all the problems.

Regardless, I would stay here again. Excellent value, especially for childless adults looking to relax.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple