“Such a disappointment”

Monumental Hotel Orlando
Ranked #199 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I booked this hotel due to 3 factors: it's location, the price and the good reviews I've read online. Clearly those reviews were by people affiliated with the hotel itself. My husband and I arrived on Thursday, February 13th for a belated honeymoon. Thankfully I'd brought my print out from when I booked the room which clearly showed a booking date of 2/13 - .2/16. The woman at the front desk said that the date booked with the hotel was for 2/3 - 2/6. She said they held the room for those 3 days and marked us as a "no show". At no time did they attempt to call me during the dates of our "no show". Had I not had the printout of my booking showing the correct dates, I'm certain they would have attempted to charge me twice.

At the front desk, there is a pamphlet about the hotel that states that pay-per-view tv is available. It is not. They have a very limited selection of basic cable channels only. The booklet inside our room stated that room service was available from their "Pineapple Grill" in the mornings for breakfast and from 5PM -11PM for dinner. Later in the evening I attempted to call for room service but noticed that there was no phone cord attached to our phone. I went down to the front desk to let them know about the phone cord and asked about ordering room service. They told me that there wasn't enough guests staying in the hotel and that room service was only available for breakfast.

1st night: We had to keep the bathroom door closed because of a constant noise of running water behind the bathroom's wall. The worst part of this ordeal was the bed. The mattress was either incredibly old, or decidedly cheap. It was so uncomfortable that my husband and I woke up several times in the night to adjust and change our sleeping positions. We woke up with pain in our backs and necks. The mattress had absolutely no support. Before heading out to Universal Studios that following morning, we asked if we could have a different room and explained the bed situation.

2nd night: Upon return from the theme park, the employees at the front desk gave me card keys to the new room. The bed in the 2nd room seemed more firm upon initial inspection, but that night proved that the problem is with this hotel's choice in mattress. Again, my husband and I had a restless night and again we woke up with aches and pain. We decided that morning that we would drive home later in the day. We didn't even care that we were paid up through another night, we just wanted a decent night's rest.

That afternoon I went to the front desk to let them know we were checking out early. The manager at the desk didn't even ask why we were leaving early.

What's sad is that this hotel has the potential to be really great. The pool area seemed nice and the lobby was lovely. But their cutbacks in service and non-apologetic approach to their failure in hospitality will not win back guests or spread good word of mouth. Travellers beware, you'd be better off at a franchised motel than this place.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chelktty
There are newer reviews for Monumental Hotel Orlando

Reviewed 16 February 2014

This was our 3rd stay. We love the place. Not only is it really close to the Palm/TurkeyLake Road supershortcut to Universal or Magic Kingdom, the property must have been a former high-end hotel because the rooms and hallways are w-a-y beyond what you normally get for less than $100.
(For example, in the attached photos look at the huge bathroom door, veranda, pool area, secondary lobby, etc.)

HowThanace could write his "what a dump" review is beyond my comprehension.

Room Tip: We've stayed on 2nd and 3rd floors and all were fine.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank daytripperusually
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This is a great hotel, clean, really polite staff and good facilities.

Its not right in the midst of International Drive (about a 5 minute drive to Seaworld/Discovery cove) but as long as you have a car that's not a burden at all. Its also only 10 mins from Premium Outlets shopping and an easy 20 min drive to Disney and Kissimmee.

All in all I highly recommend this hotel if you are visiting Orlando and prefer a slightly quieter location as a base.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Simon C
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel was awesome the people were so friendly and very helpful, provided great service. Definetly recomend it to everyone. The rooms were very clean, it was also very peaceful. The staff made us feel very welcomed added great suggestions. Over all id rate this hotel 5 stars.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marsoc
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

I don't even know where to begin. Do no stay here. Run! You will thank me later!

Upon arrival I had to change rooms three times before I could find a bed that did not contain human hair or secretions. The carpet was ripped and torn. Stain were on the floor. Rust and chipped paint were everywhere. And the service, horrible. Perhaps this whole place needs to be bull dozed over so that they can start from scratch. I have NO idea how they are a 4 star hotel!!! It was a MONUMENTAL waste of time and money.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Thanace
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My wife an I stayed in Orlando a week. Stayed in 3 different hotels due to changing plans. This was our first 2 nights. Great location, quiet, great pool. Ate breakfast at restaurant one morning, very nice stay

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank trvlnut21
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We booked a room for only one night. The Hotel it is located in a quiet area, close to all of the attractions such as Sea World and Aquatica and to the Orlando outlets for shopping, but you need to have a car. This Hotel definitely looks better from the outside. Our room was big and confortable with a king sized bed, the bathroom was also big, but everything was kind of old, walls, furnitures,carpets, bed, pillows, toilet.This Hotel needs to be renovated and modernized especially the interior. The rooms don't provide you with any complimentary snacks or beverages, and the air conditioning was very noisy.The Hotel has a nice big pool and a jacuzzi area. There is no complimentary breakfast but only a kind of breakfast area which is available for USD 7/8 per person.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple