“Resort? No. Clean Rooms? Yes. Decent stay, but far from great”

Monumental Hotel Orlando
Ranked #200 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I rate this hotel 2.5 stars....It was "okay", but definitely not a "Resort" and I am still kind of peaved about having to pay the $6.75 a night "resort fee"...
PROS:
---I saw and felt absolutely no bugs/spiderwebs/black mold or anything that other reviewers have said... and I turned over the furniture, drawers, mattress, and even looked under things in the closet. The room was clean, except for aging carpets.
---The small staff was nice and seemed helpful, especially the gentleman taking care of the pool.
---They have a nice swivel shaving mirror in the bathroom and big, thick bars of soap.
---The pool and hot tub were clean and the fountains in them were nice... the walk-in pool edge was nice.

CONS:
----Hubby said it just needed painted gray to look just like the haunted mansion with its gargoyle towers, shutters, and pompously-plastic-antique decorations ---and he was probably right.
---- The room fridge needed defrosting and did not cool properly.
---- The shower curtain bar was broken/crooked and shower curtain drooped toward the middle.
---- Hotel was hard to find --- no signage on building at all and the sign at the driveway had the seemingly-smallest writing ever.
----There is an overhang and front door that is open with no directions to go through the back pool entrance --- when you go through the "normal" entrance, the hallway is empty, and there are no people or signs to direct you to the "new" front desk or to the back pool door entrance which creates a VERY bad first impression.
---- Only 2 of the 6 pool gazebos had canvas covers and the other 2 were in desparate need of cleaning. Some of the furniture was torn/broken and the pavers needed pressure washing.
---- Landscaping was unkempt, weedy, and needed care.
---- Hallway carpets were aged and torn in places.
--- The ice maker could use a good cleaning.
--- Vending machine on our floor did not work, and the vending on 1st floor gave me the wrong soda and did not provide my $.50 change.
--- Have to pay for breakfast but we did not eat at hotel so i can't review it.
--- No glasses in the room and when they sent 2 up to the room, the "real" glasses were dirty and spotty looking.
--- No plastic liners for the ice bucket and the trash cans.
--- Hallways had a weird cleaning fluid odor.
--- Absolutely no counter in the bathroom --- just a stand alone sink - nowhere to put stuff or makeup. Some of the other rooms had counters though.
--- There was a weird doorbell thing outside our room 326... why???? no other rooms had it.

Also, i could not decide whether beds were pros or cons,,,beds themselves were not real comfortable and jiggled with every move. But they used several pillows and had clean (average quality) bedding.

Anyway, this hotel is trying too hard to keep up with the big boys and trying be a resort,,, but they need to concentrate on the little details and work on just being what they are - a clean, cheap hotel. And drop the $6.75 resort fee ---- they do not have amenities to justify a resort fee,

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week, beginning of 3 week holiday in Florida.

Pros:
- Good location, easy to get to parks, shops on i-drive
- Good parking
- Quiet hotel, pretty much had pool and spa bath to ourselves whenever we wanted
- Clean room, made up everyday
- Helpful staff

Cons
- Pool didnt seem to be heated as described, but when nearly 90 degrees it doesnt really matter
- Poolside furniture in need to replacement, alot ripped or damaged
- Having to ask for pool towels everytime wanting to use pool

Overall, good hotel in good location but could be so much better will a small amount of work.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Good location on international drive. Convenient to get to the concention center. Rooms look very old. Bathroom was very dirty. Booked on priceine, but was not very impressed with the hotel in general. Most of the hotel looked pretty empty.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This hotel is great if you want to stay close to most of Orlando's attractions and save some money. On that price level the only alternative would be a motel.
Overall, I knew what to expect based on tripadvisor reviews. I knew the hotel was a little older, in need of some renovations. I knew it would be quiet and I didn't expect too much from the breakfast which is not included in the room rate. However, there are a few reasons why I wouldn't stay there again.
First, the WiFi. In our room, which was on the third floor, we could never successfully use the internet unless we went into the bathroom with the tablet or phone. Even though we notified the front desk about this issue, it was never resolved during our stay. Other then trying to reset the router, the staff didn't seem make any efforts to help us. This to me is a deal breaker. The least thing I need at a hotel is the Wifi, so I can plan my day and look for restaurants, attractions etc.
Second, our beds were very uncomfortable. I woke up with shoulder and back pain every day. The mattress was uneven, not properly distributing one's body weight. Same thing with the pillows, they were all scrunched up.
I encountered a few ants in the bathroom but that didn't bother me.
Excluding the wifi problem, the staff was always friendly and helpful.
All in all, the hotel felt safe and clean and I liked the fact that it was quiet.

Room Tip: Make sure the wifi works in your room. If not, request a different one!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Pros:
Price was awesome.
Very quiet, we were able to sleep without being bothered by tons of noise. (Not sure if this would change if the hotel actually had more than an handful of people staying at any one time.
There was an i-ride trolley stop outside the hotel which is helpful if you do not have a car.
The room was pretty clean (and i checked the bedding thoroughly).
We had the pool and hot tub pretty much to ourselves.
Free (I think) Wi-Fi and parking

Cons:

As another traveler said, it makes absolutely no sense that the entrance of the building is in the back so when you enter....nothing and no one. You have to walk through to the other side of the hotel to check in and get to the lobby. It is just silly.
Since there is nobody manning the entrance to the hotel, people come in and put flyers under the door for pizza delivery service which I found out was a scam! They get your credit card info and make fraudulent charges. They don't even have a business, If you call them and ask to pick up the food they don't have a location, they tell you delivery only, so beware.
I did see the tiny ants that other travelers were talking about in the hallways but thankfully not in our room.
No breakfast at all unless you buy it.
This is the biggest one. It seems as though when something breaks or is in disrepair it stays that way. Every chair by the pool was torn, some completely through so they were unusable. They canopies to the cabanas were all ripped with huge gaping holes. The vending machine on our floor was out of order the whole week. One of the elevator inspections had expired in 2013!! This place could be so much more if the manager/owner just cared.

All in all I would go back if the price remained the same as it is okay for families on a budget or people who don't need ANY frills and are just looking for a quiet place to rest at night after days at the parks.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jmipie
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The hotel is very beautiful on the outside.
We stayed for 3 nights and had a very nice stay.
Pros: very quiet, if you are craving peace, quiet and relaxation this is the place.
The pool is gorgeous, we had it to ourselves the entire time we were there and the kids had a blast.
The hotel staff was friendly.
Cons:
When you drive up the hotel there is no one to greet you at the front you have to walk a long way to get to the front desk, that makes no sense. It's easier to park in the parking lot and walk thru the pool area to get to the front desk.
The rooms need refurbishing as well as the cabanas at the pool, most of them did not have a covering. With some TLC this hotel could be really nice hotel it's as if the owners have given up and am not sure why.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank rachel181
Reviewed 24 March 2014

After reading several reviews I was relieved to see a beautifully decorated hotel. The hallways were bright with well appointed artwork, the floors glistened, and attention to detail was evident by how each chair was lined up perfectly at the bar area. However, after checking in and unpacking my daughter noticed a few ants in the bathroom. Upon further inspection we saw that the ants were running across the dresser, night table and desk. About 5-10 in each place. The front desk staff told me they would "send someone up." After explaining I did not want to stay in this room but wanted one without ants they told me they did not think one was available. After packing up and staking out at the desk we were eventually placed in another, ant free, room.

The beds were comfortable, and we slept well. I would have expected a bit more, "we are sorry," and a bit less of a feeling that I was expected to stay in the room with ants, and was inconveniencing the front desk staff. I know that in Florida we sometimes have problems with insects, but it is inexcusable that no attempt was made my staff to quickly rectify the situation. I would not stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family