“Unwanted wake up call”

Ranked #201 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
“Unwanted wake up call”
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I am currently writing this from my hotel room because I have been woken up and can't sleep. Unbeknownst to us, this hotel is undergoing MAJOR renovations. We are on the 3rd floor, and I was woken up to the sound of hammers pounding into the wall, and a chisel scraping old paint off of the walls. The 3rd floor is the only floor with rooms on it undergoing renovations at this time (the lobby is also being renovated) so WHY would you put us on the 3rd floor?!
Anyways, enough of my rant. We arrived late, around midnight. The entrance to the hotel makes no sense at all- I read this in other reviews so I was preparing myself for it.. But it's worse than I anticipated. The pull around where you park where you check in is as far away from the front desk as it could possibly be.. And on top of that, you don't need a card to access any doors! Anyone could just walk in and you'd never know the difference. We had to walk through the entire lobby to find the front desk.
As far as our room goes, it is very spacious and the bed is very comfortable.. The air conditioner is my only complaint about our room, as it took about an hour and a half to get it to the temperature we wanted.
Other than the wacky layout of the hotel and the parking, and my wake up call of hammers and chisels.. I think I would stay here again. 69.00 a night is a steal, and this hotel could easily be a beautiful property with some fixing up.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brooke O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Warwick
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Here is the thing when you take into account the price of the hotel per night you really can't complain to much. I will tell you the pro's and con's but again for the price you really don' t have much to complain about. First impression went into the atrium you can tell the must have been a awesome hotel when it first was built but over the years it has aged. So if this was when it was first built it would have been $200.00 a night. Went up to our room on the forth floor and went in and it was clean (which is the most important but the rugs were worn but still usable price now would have dropped to $150.00 per night. We were excited because the pool looked awesome in the photo's and it was with a hot tub to boot, however the cabana's and the chairs were very beat , not tops on all but two cabana's and the chairs are ripping (now this was the most disappointing thing to me because these things the chairs and the cabana tops can be replaced easily for low cost so it makes me think they don't care about what the quests thing about the one thing they probably came here for "THE POOL" note to staff "Go to Walmart and spend about $1000.00 for some new chairs and get some cabana tops and your rating will go up!, Having said all this the pool is quite nice and very quite not many people are in the pool at all and I am here on spring break. Now price drops to $100.00 per night so you are still overall ahead. It is located in a great spot and has all the restaurants you can handle. So I hope this helps. I have stayed in everything from Motel 6 To 5 star resorts, this one's right in the middle.

Room Tip: As for room Facing Pool.
1 Thank ruashark
Panama City, Florida
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Very disappointing. There is a very long walk from the unloading area to the registration desk! Only one luggage cart available for three guest groups. Only one drinking glass available in the room. Dirt is noted waving in the ceiling and wall vents. There is an extra charge for use of WiFi. Breakfast is available - but at an additional charge. We'll not return...

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I rate this hotel 2.5 stars....It was "okay", but definitely not a "Resort" and I am still kind of peaved about having to pay the $6.75 a night "resort fee"...
PROS:
---I saw and felt absolutely no bugs/spiderwebs/black mold or anything that other reviewers have said... and I turned over the furniture, drawers, mattress, and even looked under things in the closet. The room was clean, except for aging carpets.
---The small staff was nice and seemed helpful, especially the gentleman taking care of the pool.
---They have a nice swivel shaving mirror in the bathroom and big, thick bars of soap.
---The pool and hot tub were clean and the fountains in them were nice... the walk-in pool edge was nice.

CONS:
----Hubby said it just needed painted gray to look just like the haunted mansion with its gargoyle towers, shutters, and pompously-plastic-antique decorations ---and he was probably right.
---- The room fridge needed defrosting and did not cool properly.
---- The shower curtain bar was broken/crooked and shower curtain drooped toward the middle.
---- Hotel was hard to find --- no signage on building at all and the sign at the driveway had the seemingly-smallest writing ever.
----There is an overhang and front door that is open with no directions to go through the back pool entrance --- when you go through the "normal" entrance, the hallway is empty, and there are no people or signs to direct you to the "new" front desk or to the back pool door entrance which creates a VERY bad first impression.
---- Only 2 of the 6 pool gazebos had canvas covers and the other 2 were in desparate need of cleaning. Some of the furniture was torn/broken and the pavers needed pressure washing.
---- Landscaping was unkempt, weedy, and needed care.
---- Hallway carpets were aged and torn in places.
--- The ice maker could use a good cleaning.
--- Vending machine on our floor did not work, and the vending on 1st floor gave me the wrong soda and did not provide my $.50 change.
--- Have to pay for breakfast but we did not eat at hotel so i can't review it.
--- No glasses in the room and when they sent 2 up to the room, the "real" glasses were dirty and spotty looking.
--- No plastic liners for the ice bucket and the trash cans.
--- Hallways had a weird cleaning fluid odor.
--- Absolutely no counter in the bathroom --- just a stand alone sink - nowhere to put stuff or makeup. Some of the other rooms had counters though.
--- There was a weird doorbell thing outside our room 326... why???? no other rooms had it.

Also, i could not decide whether beds were pros or cons,,,beds themselves were not real comfortable and jiggled with every move. But they used several pillows and had clean (average quality) bedding.

Anyway, this hotel is trying too hard to keep up with the big boys and trying be a resort,,, but they need to concentrate on the little details and work on just being what they are - a clean, cheap hotel. And drop the $6.75 resort fee ---- they do not have amenities to justify a resort fee,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week, beginning of 3 week holiday in Florida.

Pros:
- Good location, easy to get to parks, shops on i-drive
- Good parking
- Quiet hotel, pretty much had pool and spa bath to ourselves whenever we wanted
- Clean room, made up everyday
- Helpful staff

Cons
- Pool didnt seem to be heated as described, but when nearly 90 degrees it doesnt really matter
- Poolside furniture in need to replacement, alot ripped or damaged
- Having to ask for pool towels everytime wanting to use pool

Overall, good hotel in good location but could be so much better will a small amount of work.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Good location on international drive. Convenient to get to the concention center. Rooms look very old. Bathroom was very dirty. Booked on priceine, but was not very impressed with the hotel in general. Most of the hotel looked pretty empty.

• Stayed April 2014
Keswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This hotel is great if you want to stay close to most of Orlando's attractions and save some money. On that price level the only alternative would be a motel.
Overall, I knew what to expect based on tripadvisor reviews. I knew the hotel was a little older, in need of some renovations. I knew it would be quiet and I didn't expect too much from the breakfast which is not included in the room rate. However, there are a few reasons why I wouldn't stay there again.
First, the WiFi. In our room, which was on the third floor, we could never successfully use the internet unless we went into the bathroom with the tablet or phone. Even though we notified the front desk about this issue, it was never resolved during our stay. Other then trying to reset the router, the staff didn't seem make any efforts to help us. This to me is a deal breaker. The least thing I need at a hotel is the Wifi, so I can plan my day and look for restaurants, attractions etc.
Second, our beds were very uncomfortable. I woke up with shoulder and back pain every day. The mattress was uneven, not properly distributing one's body weight. Same thing with the pillows, they were all scrunched up.
I encountered a few ants in the bathroom but that didn't bother me.
Excluding the wifi problem, the staff was always friendly and helpful.
All in all, the hotel felt safe and clean and I liked the fact that it was quiet.

Room Tip: Make sure the wifi works in your room. If not, request a different one!