“Loved the hotel but the Disney shuttle was a disappointment”

Ranked #179 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We were in town for a weekend Disney visit and chose this hotel based on amenities, price, and availability. Check went fine and the public areas were clean and nice. Our room was the standard newer RI room and we were satisfied. The kids were happy with the sofabed. We have gluten issues and eating out can be a challenge so having a kitchen was comforting. The kids loved the pool. The breakfast was very good. One of the reasons we booked this hotel was the complimentary Disney shuttle. When we checked in we found this shuttle ran a total of 3 times a day. The times were not satisfactory to us so we opted to drive (20-30 minutes) and pay for Disney parking. If the shuttle ran more often the hotel would have gotten a higher rating.

Over all we were satisfied with our stay. It did take longer to get to Disney than I expected but we had no regrets. It was a wonderful family weekend.

Tip: there is a Walmart a mile or two away that has a big Disney section. Get your souvenirs and save a bundle over Disney prices.

Room Tip: Our room faced the Hyatt and they had a rowdy/loud group hanging out in the parking lot one day. Yo...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank banc
Gina F, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Orlando Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Banc,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property! We truly appreciate your business. We apologize that the Disney shuttles were not up to Marriott standards. We have been communicating with Disney about the transportation times and they are working on improving the pickup times. We hope you give us another chance in the future. We would love to have your stay with us again. We are glad to hear you enjoyed everything else about your stay! Please do not hesitate to give me a call with any other concerns or to book your next vacation! Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We previously stayed in this hotel in 2010 & were disappointed as it was so old and dated

Fast forward to April 2014 & imagine how disappointed I was to get this hotel on a Hotwire booking!

How wrong I was,,the hotel has had a makeover ,the pool area,breakfast area & reception are fantastic ,light airy, clean and with some really nice furnishings.

Reception staff were courteous & pleasant as was the lady in the Breakfast room.
Our room was clean, and quiet and light.

Plenty of free parking.
Close to I Drive and multitudes of restaurants.

The managers reception is four nights per week and compared to others hotels attempts this one was very good.
Breakfast was reasonable and with a fair amount of choice, the breakfast area was clean & well run.
Pool and hot tub are exceptionally clean even the night after a bad storm, the pool towels smelled great !
All in all as I'm a Marriott member now I will definately include this hotel in my next stay in December.

Room Tip: Room 303 is a nice room at the quieter end of the corridor, close to stairs out to car park
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank virginatlantic

Dear Virginatlantic,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property! We truly appreciate your business. We are glad to hear you how much you enjoyed your stay with us. We have been improving our lobby, rooms and guest service areas and love to hear when our guests enjoy these upgrades. Please do not hesitate to give me a call with any other concerns or to book your next vacation. Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I love Marriott they always impress and earning and using points has been great for our family that loves to travel. However this trip just left a sour taste. I had booked this trip almost a month prior using our points to pay for a one night stay. We planned to take our kids to Epcot on Sat and Animal Kingdom on Sunday. I requested and received the confirmation for a suite with TWO queen beds and a sofa bed so that we would all have enough room. I specifically requested this type of room based on the reviews and the pictures, even saving the room picture for my kids to see how nice and spacious it was.

When we arrived at 10 @night, exhausted with my 6 year old asleep and carrying all of our bags, we had ONE bed, a king, and it was a handicap room. I called front desk and I got a "sorry we are completely booked, someone gave away your room" How did they just give away my room?? One that was confirmed?? So with no other option to move, they gave us a roll away bed in this already tiny space, which my 10 year old said was stinky and she could feel all the springs in it.

I am not a happy mom or traveler at this point. Not to mention I also did not have a tub to bathe our kids in since it was a walk in shower (the water sprayer faced the wall also, I could not get it to point out to clean the kids)

The manager did restore 10,000 of my 25,000 points we had used for the trip so that was kind and appreciated. I was just so angry and disappointed and too tired to feel any different. The room was not good for our family (esp after putting another bed basically in the kitchen area for my daughter, it was ridiculous trying to walk around the room at that point), there was milk left over in the fridge I am assuming from previous guests, as mentioned there was no tub, and after using the walk in shower, the floor of the whole bathroom is completely wet and tell me how this is supposed to be safe for kids?

The only good I have walking away from this hotel is under half my points restored. What a waste.

Room Tip: I wouldn't know, we got a handicap room in the main hallway, the busiest in the entire hotel
Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank angela4mama

Dear Angela4mama,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property! We truly appreciate your business. We truly apologize for the issue that occurred when you arrived. We have brought this issue to the attention of our front desk team, assistant general manager and our general manager. I want to assure you that we have already taken necessary actions to make sure this issue does not reoccur. Again, we apologize and truly hope this would not prevent you from enjoying your stay with any future Marriott hotels. We would also like to offer you 7000 points credited to your Marriott Rewards account for the inconvenience. If there is anything else we can do please do not hesitate to give us a call! We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Mike Zambout
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel had everything I needed, kitchen, free breakfast, coin - op washer and dryer. Checked in early...a breeze! Housekeeping was wonderful. Staff was always polite. Probably could use change machine in laundry area. Traveled with 3 kids plus the hubby, driving all the way from CT!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Candice S
Gina F, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Orlando Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Candice S.,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. We truly appreciate your business! We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and the staff as well as our housekeeping team. Please let us know the next time you are in the area so we can make any accommodations for you and your family! Have a wonderful week. We look forward to seeing you all again!

Front Office Manager

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Clean room, staff very friendly and outgoing, free beer and wine in the evening along with snacks and breakfast. For the price, this place truly eliminates at least one meal. If you like wine, Walmart brand, you can bang out a few glasses before hitting international for dinner. A number of nice places within a ten minute walk. No views from this hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UtahGrad
Gina F, General Manager at Residence Inn Orlando Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear UtahGrad,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We greatly appreciate your business. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and the hotel amenities. We have been working very hard to be the best Residence Inn we can be and seeing our efforts pay off for our guests is incredible. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Gina F.
Residence Inn Orlando Conv. Center

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

There are several not so great reviews on here about this hotel. DONT BELIEVE THEM. our experience was top notch. The rooms were immaculately clean. The furniture is not "dated" as people say. The only thing I spotted that would show signs of "dated ness" was maybe the door hinges and closet door/mirror. But still not anything to fret over. No, the dresser, coffee table, and kitchen cabinets didn't look like they just rolled out of a furniture store this week. But they also didn't looked like they were any more than 8-10 years old. The location of this placeis as good as you can get. Closer to universal but right in the middle of all the other action as well. Disney, sea world, international drive shopping. Anything you can imagine to eat. All within 5-10 minutes. The staff were the best. We were upgraded for free due to our platinum elite status. I've said this before- Marriott really takes care of their rewards members. This place was no exception. Beds were nice and comfy. Adequate and very clean and maintained. pool and got tub. Very few people in it. Towels supplied pool side. Small work out area. Never seen anyone in there. Pay for use washer and dryers available on each floor as well as dry cleaning if you prefer. They have afternoon social hour- dinner/snacks through the week which includes alcohol. Breakfast was better than most I've seen. Eggs, omelets, breakfast casserole, pastries, juices, ham, sausage, etc. Parking is on site and FREE which isn't always the case in orlando. The front desks had lists of local delivery upon request. They run a daily shuttle to and from Disney for free.

Here's one thing I'd never seen. On the fridge, there was an information sheet posted that included a part that said if you sent a grocery list downstairs, they'll go buy the groceries for you, deliver them to your room and post the total amount to your account! Wow! Needless to say this was one of my all time favorite experiences. Thanks so much. We will be back!

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank KyBlondeTraveler
Gina F, Manager at Residence Inn Orlando Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear KYBlondeTraveler,

Thank you very much for your review of our property! We truly appreciate your business and we are ecstatic to hear you loved your stay. We have been working very hard to be the best Residence Inn in Orlando and reviews like this definitely make all our hard work seem valued!

We look forward to seeing you again in the future. If you need anything or have any questions please do not hesitate to call me personally. Thank you again!

Ri.mcocv.fdm@marriott.com

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights while attending a class at the Hyatt Regency down the street. Here's what this hotel offers:
1. Walking distance to Convention Center and lots of restaurants. Note that these distinations are not right next to the hotel, but my definition of "walking distance" goes up to 1 mile. Many restaurants are less than 1/2 mile away.
2. A very pleasant staff
3. Nice outdoor pool - kept at 86 while I was there, which was perfect to me
4. Large, clean room
5. Standard business hotel breakfast - some hot items and the usual cold items
6. Weekday manager's receptions that are significant enough to make it a dinner if you're not up for going out to a restaurant. This isn't world-class food, perhaps more like high school hot lunch, but I thought it was fine. One night was hamburgers on the grill, which were very good.

All in all, a good stay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Gina F, General Manager at Residence Inn Orlando Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us. We are please to hear the good comments about a very pleasant staff, the nice outdoor pool and the weekday manager's reception. We aplogise about the destinations to the convention centers and the local restaurants within the mile of walking distance. We do appreciate you pointing to the large clean rooms and the one night hamburgers on the grill. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to you staying with us in the future.