“Rosen inn - July 2014”

Rosen Inn International
Ranked #122 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
“Rosen inn - July 2014”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My first review, so here it goes..
This is my 4th time in Florida, and 1st time in a hotel here (all other stays were in a villa, with family)
Currently staying here in the Rosen inn, and have been here since the 9th July.
First impressions of hotel was that it looked very clean and grounds are kept immaculate.. upon arrival to the front desk we were seen to immediately and within 5mins had our keys..
As a smoker, here is where I asked the question "where are your smoking areas?" To which the guy replied "there aren't any, just smoke outside your room".. quite odd.. seen a few reviews on this matter, so thought I would mention this, as I don't believe in making people who don't smoke be put around it, would rather go to a smoking area..
Upon getting to the room (3602) we had a beautiful view, could see universal studios, fun spot, and I-drive, which looks amazing at night.. room was clean and tidy.. bit outdated but who cares when your out all day in the parks? Will agree with many other posts, the air con is very noisy, and to those light sleepers will probably keep you awake.. all the things you need in the room: safe, tv, hair dryer, coffee maker, fridge etc..
The beds and pillows are so comfortable!
Security is posted at both entrances checking everyone's passes and they do a lot of waking around the grounds and by the rooms, which I though was very good..
The shop is very convenient, but a bit pricey.. cannot comment on food, as we never ate here.
The hotel is in a very convenient location on I-drive for breakfast, lunch and dinner..
Also cannot comment on the transportation services, as we had hired a car.. i would say, in the car..hotel is 10 min drive from universal, 15min from sea world/aquatica, and around 30mins from Disney(all traffic dependant of course).
To experience the whole of Florida, I would say you definitely need a car..
Overall, this hotel is clean and tidy and is a good place to put your head down after long days at the parks.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Simone W
RosenHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Rosen Inn International, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
I’m happy you took the time to update us on your experience, Simone W.

I will pass on your feedback to ensure that we look into the smoking issue you mentioned.

Thank you for staying. We hope you come back soon.

tshoemaker@rosenhotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (973)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here August 2013, hotel was adequate, our room was very small for four people although we didn't spend a lot of time actually in the room it was quite claustrophobic when we did. Bathroom was minuscule, the toilet overflowed on one occasion - toilet water (and the contents of my sons bowels) everywhere- most unpleasant! There's a small coffee machine next to the sink but it takes cartridge type things and you only get given two! - they didn't even sell them in the shop, I'd rather have just had a normal kettle in the room. Also no room to hang wet clothes as there is no private balcony (really frustrating as we got drenched almost everyday) most people draped their stuff over ironing boards and left them outside their room. Hotel staff (especially the two at the ticket booking desk) were rude and unfriendly gave us incorrect trolley information and sold us a full price ticket for my son who we later found out should have got it at a cheaper rate being a child! However, The bedding and towels were clean and so were the public areas of the hotel, didn't eat at the restaurant as there's plenty if choice nearby. The hotel is near to universal but a long way from Disney. It was ok but I probably wouldn't go back.

Stayed August 2013
Oh no, c c.

I’m so sorry to hear about the issues you ran into while staying with us. This is definitely not the norm.

If you would like to talk about anything, please feel free to reach out to me. I will pass this on to the management staff to ensure they are aware of your review.

Thanks again. We truly hope you come back.

Leicester
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Went to this hotel in 1988. Enjoyed it then and enjoyed it again. International Drive on the doorstep. Best investment was buying two week trolley ticket which gave us access to a few of the parks. Worst of all was having to get to the major theme parks. When we last came shuttle buses called in to the hotel. This has obviously changed over the years and taxis cost us around 80 dollars (negotiated) a time which we hadn't really budgeted for so you need to keep that in mind. Plenty of places to eat although the food at the hotel (buffet style) was just as adequate. We were located by the pool area which was very handy for the grandchildren. July brought with it some tremendous thunder and lightening storms. I quite like them myself but do have to say some of the heaviest, longest and loudest I have ever heard in my lifetime. Only one storm spoilt our afternoon at one of the parks so for two weeks must not complain. Extremely hot. Staff at hotel were friendly and helpful as were the staff manning the 'taxi' booking and information desk

Room Tip: Would ask for a room pool side as the outer rooms just face car park
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank LJN345
Thanks for coming back so long after the first time you were here.

We appreciate you updating us on your experience, LJN345!

Please don’t wait so long for the next visit. Thanks for staying.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Got to be honest, my family booked this from England as I wouldn't have chosen this place. To get to DisneyWorld is the best part of 90 minutes on two buses, they don't lay on free shuttles which I find hard to believe. It is close to Universal which is a 5-10 minute ride away which is good. They allow people to smoke very close to the rooms which is awful if you live in or are travelling from a smoke free country with tight no smoking laws. It is close to Denny's and Mcdonalds which is good and there is a liquor store across the road but along this end of International Drive there are only generic bad American Diners to eat at. My parents booked this hotel through Thomson and made various requests from the UK to get a room near a pool and not near a road AND with easy access for a wheelchair but none of their requests were fulfilled. The breakfast is OK but if you are here at a busy time it is more like feeding time at the zoo than a civilized breakfast eating area. We have also noticed that our room only gets cleaned if we leave a large tip for the grumpy old cleaning lady in a morning. If we don't leave a large tip the beds are not really made and the bathroom looks like a small army of kids has used it. Fixtures and fittings in the bathrooms are falling off and space is at a premium. We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria for a night before coming to the Rosen which we shouldn't have done. All I will say is you get what you pay for and if you are looking for a nice quiet civilized place to hang, then this is not really it. Find a place which is closer to DisneyWorld and you will save yourself a lot of money in taxis/buses etc....

Room Tip: Miles away from all roads and public walkways facing the interior lawns.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank g8tekeeper
g8tekeeper,

I apologize for any shortcomings you faced during your stay with us. May I ask, did you have the opportunity to address any of these issues with our front desk management? I would hope that we could have accommodated a room change to better location with less issue to the smoking you endured.

Please always feel free to address these matters to us in future. We want our guest to feel comfortable during their stay with us. Thank you for choosing Rosen Hotels & Resorts.. Please feel free to contact me further if you would like to discuss your stay with me. Thank you.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is a good hotel for the price and location. They could have done with new bath mats as they were moulded but to be honest everything else was what is expected of a hotel at this price. we stayed at the Royal pacific on our last night and there was no comparison but we happily stayed there and felt safe and cosy for the 2 weeks. It is very central for everything to do and we got Lynx bus passes which took us everywhere, even Disney Parks. They are well worth getting in advance and they deliver to the UK free of charge. This hotel was good for food also but we did get some carry out meals a lot as there was so much to choose from. The pools are fine but a little small but we never wanted to spend much time lying at a pool anyway as there was so much to fit into the holiday.There are clean towels everyday and you just put the do not disturb up if you don't require any changes etc. We would go back to the hotel as we were happy with what we got. It could do with tea making facilities as it only had coffee but that is nothing really.The tv in the room had loads of channels to watch and the car park had security entry which made you feel secure. Overall it was good, just some fine tweeks needed to make me say it was fantastic. The staff were always very helpful so no complaints there at all.
Would recommend for families but if going as a couple with just my Husband i would love to go back to the Royal Pacific at Universal but at $319 a night this place does really do the same job.

Room Tip: I would ask for a garden or pool view room as otherwise you will face the car park or highway and it...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AprilMFlorida2014
AprilMFlorida2014,

Thank you! I thoroughly appreciated reading your wonderful review. You have provided our future guest with such great insight of what our hotel has to offer. We do hope to see you again in the future. Until then... Safe travels!

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Firstly I would like to say a big thank you to Troy Shoemaker for passing on our requests, they were met and we were in the perfect room with a perfect view so thank you!

We stayed here for one week from the 21st to the 29th of October. The lady that greeted us at front desk was very polite and smiled. Infact all the woman at the front desk were exceptional, their manner and customer service was as good as it could have been. However the mexican looking woman behind the counter at travel services was rubbish, she constantly ignored what we said, gave us incorrect information and seemed just generally disinterested. Every other member of staff at this hotel was friendly and good to chat to. The other issue was how long you would have to wait at the travel counter, there was only ever one person dealing with arranging shuttle buses to the parks and selling tickets, the other two members of staff always just told me that only that one person could help me, I think the other two members of staff were for car hire etc but were always available yet could never help. We ended up getting stuck behind the same Swedish family 3 times who were always buying tickets for parks last minuet and asked a lot of questions at front desk.

The rooms are great, the little kitchen area was bigger than we thought it would be. The beds are very comfortable and the air-con unit was easy to use. After a long day at a park in 32 degrees it is very nice to walk into a air-conditioned room that had been cleaned spotlessly. If you leave it on it's coldest setting (60) then it will make a stall noise every now and then and that scared me to death whilst trying to fall asleep. Leaving it on 70 fixed this. DO NOT attempt to use the heater mode, I had just finished having a very nice cool bath and needed a bit of warmth, I put it on the HEAT setting and there was a awful smell that then set off the fire alarm. Panic moment over and lesson learnt I didn't touch it again. The fridge is a great size, got all my Walmart goodies in there. Only had the breakfast once and it wasn't expensive for all you can eat, plus pizza and cheese sauce for breakfast? YES PLEASE! :D

The location of this hotel is perfect, it has a good range of food places close, especially for breakfast, McDonalds, burger king, Ihop, dennys etc. We only went in the pool once for 30 mins to cool off (I don't see the reason for travelling 5,000 miles accross the world to sit by a small pool and catch rays, and you bet that's what we saw some tourists doing most of the time.

Just bare in mind that due to the price of this hotel is does attract some of the less pleasing members of the public that england has to offer. I won't go into detail as my last review was removed but all I will say is that the Jeremy Kyle show is cast from here. Not the hotels fault at all, but going downstairs to get breakfast and having two Liverpudlian 14 year old girls having a burping in each others faces competition wasn't a holiday highlight. I feel sorry for the americans I really do.

The lite bites gift shop was great although closer to UK prices than the rest of the area. There are taxis waiting outside the front which are slightly more expensive than the other cabs in the area but having one waiting was sometimes worth the cost. Make sure they listen though, one driver I told 3 times "Boston Lobster Feast" as he turned his back to walk to the taxi he said "yeah yeah" and then took us to the Red Lobster. He then accused me of giving him the wrong place. No tip for him.

The construction going on at the hotel was annoying as the entire front lobby was closed and made navigating slightly harder. I also found one cockroach hiding under my jeans on the floor but I had never seen one before so I was actually more interested than annoyed. The safe in the room is so easy to use. It was open so I just had to put in my passcode and press the hash key and I was good to go.

The free bus service was good but you have to make sure you booked the night before, one time I asked for Seaworld and the first bus time was an hour after the park opened (plus it goes to other Rosen inn hotels so it would be almost 2 hours). This was because apprently seaworld wasn't a "desired park". I think it really meant that they couldn't fill it until people were standing like they did the other buses we were on. That meant we only used it twice and never on a return journey as we finished early.

We opted for a late checkout which we were told was $28 dollars to checkout 2 hours later at 2pm. We said we would do that, went out and got back at 1pm and walked all the way up to the 6th floor only to find are keycards not working. Another walk downstairs (the lift takes too long to arrive) and after speaking to front desk it was apparent that the previous woman had not put it on the system for a late checkout. So we asked one more time for a late checkout and then went upstairs to try again, thankfully the key worked this time. A quick rush to get our stuff together for the 2pm checkout only to be told downstairs when we had our stuff that if we checkout at 2pm we have the room till 3pm...something we were not told. I paid $28 in cash and waited around the corner for out taxi to arrive at 3pm as arranged, at this point the lady from the front desk (I think her name was Darla?) brought me back my $28 for the mix up. This turned a slightly sour situation into a very good one.

Overall I was impressed with this hotel, I might pay more to stay somewhere away from the uk benefit bunch on holiday next time as they were not our crowd at all. But based on it's location and how well we were looked after it will be hard to choose another hotel.

Thank you for a great stay and for making our first holiday together such a special one.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Mark S
RosenHotels, at Rosen Inn International, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Wow! Thank you so much for your wonderful and honest review, Mark S!

I will certainly pass this on to my manager, Troy! I appreciate the well in detail information you have provided our future guest regarding all of the recommendations you presented for our hotel and the surrounding area. Thank you again! We do hope you will consider staying with us again... We would love to host you and your family! Safe travels!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

A group of 9 of us stayed here in May/ June 2014. We emailed Troy Shoemaker in reservations prior to our arrival and he was fantastic in assisting with our requests. The hotel was very clean, staff friendly & attentive. The pool area was clean and attended by staff regularly. The location was superb. The hotel rooms were cleaned on a daily basis. Having a fridge and microwave in the room was a huge plus. We all used the launderette facilities which were great. If I had to make a criticism it would be my towels were changed daily which I found unnecessary.

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Jonufc
Jonufc,

Thank you for your review! We greatly appreciate it. I am so pleased to read a group of 9 managed such a well planned vacation together. We hope to see all of you back for another great stay with us!