“Great Family Park”
Review of Tomoka State Park

Tomoka State Park
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I love going to this park on the occasion that I'm around the area because of the numerous nature trails and it's great historic location. There is much to see and behold and the camping is great. However, the thing that I've really disliked is the tremendous bumps in the dirt roads. Some of the are quite big and you have to keep a constant eye out. Several times (especially when it rains) I've almost gotten stuck or scratched the underside of my car. Definite work needs to be done on the road because not everyone has a truck that can withstand the holes!

2  Thank Rob W

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Beautiful state park for hiking, picnics, canoeing, kayaking, and geocaching. I recommend taking insect repellent any time of the year and plenty of water.

1  Thank love2gonyc
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Park is South of Bulow Creek & North Peninsula State Parks, so it's closer to Ormond Beach.... Can ride through part of it on bikes, and there's some other sites to see.... Park's website is helpful with visiting...

1  Thank CharlieB24
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We love Tomoka State Park. Here's why:

The campground is nice. We stayed in #38 with our teardrop, families and older folks set up with mini-lights, playing cards in the evening are all over the place. But, after midnight...the carpet is rolled up and you can own the park by bicycle. Sandy wide open paths cast in blue moon light. So quiet and pristine. There are many areas to fish and picnic with bbqs, and tables dot the park.

You can ride a bike to the camp store, which has all the regular stuff, and...a stage for the ukelele performances, (Saturday nights) a dvd/ book library, good ice cream treats, canoe rentals, records, SPAM, t-shirts, oddball bric a brac, tables and chairs for hanging, perhaps to play a game of checkers or chess...

$25 for two hours on the canoe. We paddled out on the Tomoka river, and manatee are seen in the area this time of year. We didn't get that far and it suited us fine. We were content with drifting about.

The history of the Timucua Indians that resided there 1,000 years ago and the vibe of the park makes it that much better. Lots of places to hang out, fish, bask in the dappled sun.

Now I have a tip on firewood, which apparently is a current issue. The camp store does not have it, so I recommend a gentleman across from Iron Horse, he sells a gang load of awesome seasoned wood for $10, wheel barrow full.

5  Thank Recgypsy
Reviewed 10 February 2014

15 minute drive does the entire park, taking side roads a bit longer. See the vegetation in an unspoiled state, lots of fishing, nice scenic views from side roads.

1  Thank ChesapeakeLinda