“Go for a Taste of Europe”

European Cafe & Schnitzel House
Ranked #21 of 208 Restaurants in Ormond Beach
Cuisines: German, Central European
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Boulder, Colorado
“Go for a Taste of Europe”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Schnitzel is the word here. The have other items available, but this is the reason to go. If you've never had schnitzel, this is a great place to have your first experience in Florida.

The restaurant is small, with maybe 12 tables, so a reservation is highly recommended. Decor is very old world (see photo), with a hunting lodge feel (animal heads and skins) and certainly lets you think you are not in Florida. And our server was friendly European woman who fit the feel of the restaurant.

They offer more varieties of schnitzel than I have ever seen, so it is up to your taste as to what to order. I got the Wiener Schnitzel a la Holstein, which is breaded veal with anchovies, capers and fried egg. The veal was excellent, but they made the fried eggs hard so there was no yolk to become a sauce. That's the main reason to get a la Holstein. So if you order it tell them how you want the eggs. And bring your own capers...which they don't have.

They also have a sausage plate that is VG. The warm potato salad is delicious. Close to what my grandmother made. A little bacon would be nice but the light vinegar really helped cut the richness of the breaded veal.

Desserts were just ok, but like I said, you go for the Schnitzel.

• Visited April 2014

Marietta, GA
“We loved it!”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This restaurant was right across the street from the hotel we were staying and we were intrigued and decided to try it out. The decor is interesting, lots of deer heads, animal skins and antlers but comfortable and clean. The server we had was excellent. We had never had schnitzel before so we didn't know what to expect. We had excellent bread and an interesting and delicious spread, potato pancakes with applesauce, wiener schnitzel and I had a nice glass of wine. The food was excellent and the portions large. It was my birthday and we had a delicious piece of Bavarian chocolate cake and a complimentary glass of wine. We enjoyed this place very much and will return next time we are in the area.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank DebieDC
Ormond Beach, Florida
“A unique restaurant for the area and good food.”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My wife and I eat at this restaurant every three to six months and it has always proven to be good food at a decent price and there is no others with this type of German cuisine within 30 miles. We always make a reservation because it is small and we like to eat in the back room if possible. Our service has always been excellent and this particular night we had Sergy (sorry if the spelling is wrong). Only two of the six people in our group had the same thing and everything was excellent, see the photos and the size of the proportions. They are served on what we use for platters at home. The dinners also came with a choice of two soups: chicken and barley, both excellent. I must make one comment about a earlier review from a lady who said the restaurant was not children friendly. I agree because this is the type of restaurant some people like to dine at and not have children running around, being loud, playing on electronic devices or complaining. I asked and they do have a childrens lunch menu they use when asked. It's not a McDonalds or Burger King. We will continue to keep going back for the good food.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank norme-ormond
Ormond Beach, Florida
“Awesome!”
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

I have been to Germany many times and this is the real deal!
The food is excellent along with the service and atmosphere .
Very enjoyable night out.

• Visited March 2014
Thomaston, Connecticut
“Best German meal I ever had”
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Went tonight and had the Wiener schnitzel (veal) recommended by our Russian waiter and went with his recommendation for goulash that comes with the meal. We substituted spaetzle for something else. WOW, they were all outstanding!! My wife's late grandma but these were better!! Sorry grandma!! And piping hot! Not spicy, just hot.

Also had some kind of cheese on rye bread and that was great too. Strudel we brought home needed more sugar and was just average. Quaint interior and the kind of "local" place you wish you could find everywhere when you travel or when you are home! Enjoy!!

Visited March 2014