“Nice one bedroom Condo in great location”

Ocean East Resort Club
Atlanta
“Nice one bedroom Condo in great location”
Reviewed 10 March 2009

We stayed in one bedroom oceanfront unit #3024 for a week in February 2009. There are only a few of these oceanfront units. Be sure to try and get one, as they are much better choices. Beautiful wide Beach. Rooms small but adequate for a couples, and everything we needed was furnished. Great Base location for exploring the area. Anything you want is close by. Resort is an older timeshare catering to owners and guests. It is at the south end of Ormond Beach above Daytona Beach. Some rooms are updated, and some are being renovated. Friendly helpful Staff and servers, and a good small restaurant with outside deck dining on the ocean. We would stay there again if in the Daytona Area.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bestrip

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 11 December 2008

My in-laws have been going here for years and really enjoy themselves. When they offered up their time share this year to us... I jumped at the opportunity. I didn't know what to think after reading some of the reviews but hoped for the best. At the minimum clean sheets, clean room and good weather to get out on the beach. We had just that. My husband wasn't able to go so a couple of my girlfriends decided to come along and we just had a ball. The furniture was a bit outdated, but it was clean and represented the loud Florida style. The staff was friendly and helpful and I have to admit we used TripAdvisor often to find some excellent "hole-in-the-wall" restaurants (see my other reviews). The pool could use a fresh coat of paint, but the water was clean and smelled a bit bleachy which at home isn't my favorite, but when sharing with others I am totally fine with. We relaxed on the deck over looking the beach every evening and saw stars and galaxies. It was wonderful and we typically ended the evening with a soak in the hot tub. It was also clean and big enough for several to enjoy. Beach access was so convenient. You walked right out to the sand and ocean and you can walk for miles in either direction. The other people who were staying there were very courteous and seemed to be enjoying themselves, too. The pool area, halls, restaurant and lobby were all very neat and clean and everyone was very nice.

There were three in our party and we stayed in an efficiency which wasn't tiny, but it was closed quarters. I slept on the Murphy bed. It was firm and I slept just fine. The other gals slept on the sofa bed and were fine, too. My MIL told us to ask for another mattress if it was uncomfortable, but we managed to get a good nights sleep. I loved the fact the room had a vacuum for our use because the sand followed us in a few times. We loved having a full kitchen with a Publix right down the road.

One disappointment was the restaurant. The food was decent but the wait staff was terrible. We sat with empty drinks, asked for more and you would have thought I wanted her kidney. This happened twice and we decided we'd grab snacks, coffee and tea else where. It took a long time to even just come and get our orders. There was only one other table!! One girl's shorts were so short I was appalled and I am a pretty liberal person.

We have already put in a request to stay again in the event the time share is up for grabs. We had a great time & always felt safe. Cool places to check out are the Ponce de Leon Inlet and Lighthouse, the Daytona Beach Pier and Smyrna Dunes.

• Liked — Access to everything like the beach, restaurants, pool and entertainment.
  • Disliked — It was a bit outdated.
  • Stayed September 2008
1 Thank Navone
usa
Reviewed 20 April 2008

This resort is in a wonderful location. The beach is fabulous. The resort has a simple, but nice beachfront restaurant. That is really all the good things that I can say about Ocean East. This resort is extremely dated and in need of some serious updates. Everything from the obnoxiously upholstered furniture (take a look at the pictures, you'll see what I mean) to the very uncomfortable beds. I know that time shares have to be durable because of the nature of the business.
Here are some of the things that I noticed in our 2 bedroom. There evidently is no one following up on the cleaning crew. There was dust just about everywhere, the shower had mildew, no light bulb in the bedroom lamp. The sweeper in the closet was 1/2 full and probably hadn't been emptied in weeks. The patio had cig butts from the last guest. I wouldn't say that our 2 bedroom was filthy, but there was NO attention to detail that I expect when traveling.
Further, the front desk employees could use a little customer service training.
I will not stay at Ocean East again.

• Liked — beach front
  • Disliked — cleaniness of the rooms
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank beachlover052
NY
Reviewed 19 April 2008

As they say in real estate, it is all about location, location, location. This resort has it, sitting directly on the ocean in Ormond Beach. You literally walk out the back of the resort to the beach. The resort also has a very nice pool area. It is very kid friendly, but accommodating to travelers without kids also. Friendly and helpful staff. The attached Beach Bucket restaurant sits directly overlooking the ocean and has great inexpensive breakfast and lunch, not to mention some great deals on tropical beverages you can sip while waiting for the dolphins to swim past in the ocean. Located in walking distance to many fine restaurants, including Charley Horse which is a local favorite.

• Liked — Location on the ocean
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2007

I was at Ocean East during March Break with my parents and my fiance. I have to say, it was nice to have a vacation where I didn't have to eat out every night, so I truly did enjoy the kitchenette it came with.
Being from Canada during March, this was PARADISE compared to the flurries that were happening back home. That being said, note to travellers....DON'T GO TO DAYTONA DURING BIKE WEEK!!
Unless you are a bike (Harley etc) rider yourself and enjoy that lifestyle during you're vacation, by all means, do what you want. But honestly, you cannot sleep nor can you feel SAFE on you're vacation when you are surrounded by bikers.
Apart from that, the location is good. Still on a busy road, but lots of restaurants and civilization nearby. Right on the beach, so we had a great view (well, apart from the fact that we were on the ground floor next to where all the bikes were parked.) All in all, a decent trip.

• Liked — The kitchenette, Pool, Ocean View
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed March 2006, travelled with family
5 Thank sarah_awake
Rockmart, Georgia
Reviewed 25 April 2007

We are owners at this resort, and have been since 2002, we really enjoy going there. Everyone at the resort is very helpful. We have met a lot of really nice people there that have been owners for a lot of years,this and the view from the balcony and the pool area helped us to make our decision to buy there. It is true the murphy beds are BAD!!,We keep hoping they will change this and put more comfortable beds in the rooms.We will continue to go to this resort.

Stayed April 2006
4 Thank vlm2007
Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 27 January 2007

I have been staying at this resort for 2 weeks in February every year since I was a baby. I can't say enough about it. Everything is so clean. The pool and jacuzzi are amazing. Easy access on and off of A1A. Great view from the rooms. The penthouse suites are huge with a large balcony. They are constantly making upgrades. They even have a ping-pong table! I will be staying here for years to come.

• Liked — Jacuzzi
  • Stayed February 2005, travelled as a couple
#7 of 27 in Ormond Beach
Makai Beach Lodge
Makai Beach Lodge
#21 of 27 in Ormond Beach

Been to Ocean East Resort Club? Share your experiences!