“Good value, good service, welcome to the A-list”
Review of Agave

Agave
Ranked #57 of 208 Restaurants in Ormond Beach
Price range: US$6 - US$17
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Bar
Description: family restaurant authentic Mexican food taco specials drink specials fresh lime margaritas made from scrath table side guacamole
Ormond Beach, Florida
“Good value, good service, welcome to the A-list”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I literally read ALL 40+ reviews of Agave Fresh Mex and Cantina in Ormond Beach before my first visit. I take everything with a grain of salt, both the gushing raves and the grumpy grousing, but I did have my expectations met.

I arrived hungry a little before the rest of my party and saw the sign on the door advertising Happy Hour (2-for-1 drinks) and $1 tacos (which I'd learned about here on TripAdvisor). But to my pleasant surprise, tonight they were also offering $1 quesadillas (chicken or cheese), $1 flautas (beef or chicken) and 50¢ wings. Since the bar seating was mostly full, I was offered a table at the patio which offered the same special (I'm assuming the specials are only at the bar, not in the dining area). I was able to order a flauta and quesadilla directly from the friendly hostess. Chips and salsa were brought promptly, and my party arrived soon thereafter. The red salsa is mild but flavorful, comparable to that of Chili's, but you can request green chile salsa which is much spicier. If you're adventurous, mix them together for a red salsa with kick.

Between the three of us, we were able to enjoy the chips, salsa, flautas and quesadillas, all brought promptly by more than one server and washed down with white sangria. The chicken quesadilla came with sour cream plus a little bit of lettuce and tomato. The chicken flauta was crispy and warm, with a bit of special sauce on top. The white sangria was refreshing, but make sure to ask for no ice (or low ice), or you'll end up with very little to write home about.

The only item I was disappointed with was the frozen house margarita, which was rather bland, even after dumping the leftover sangria fruit into it. I wish I had ordered one of the premium margaritas, as recommended in other reviews. That's where 2-for-1 can bite you back. We finished most of them just because, but they were really forgettable, other than remembering not to order them next time. Wish I had tried the red sangria instead.

Overall, it was quite an enjoyable dining experience, and I plan to go back sometime. With the drink specials, free chips & salsa, and $1 menu items, we had a full meal without going broke. My only other minor complaint was the outdoor seating area allows smoking, and we were downwind. Couldn't really be avoided on this trip, and if it rains or storms it could ruin your dinner as well. I would still recommend this restaurant, and I look forward to another good experience in the future.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Zik J

DeLand, Florida
“Up and Down”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Three of us arrived on Friday right at 5pm. Looks good when you step in and only a few of us inside. Service was poor our server was not attentive at all. My mother had the special, hawaiian quesadilla , which we had to go upfront and read, as the server Salvatore? never shared that information with us..she said it was good. My wife had the spinach quesadilla also very good. I had the fish tacos again no complaint. However they were not busy had lots of help visible but they seemed to not care that we were there. I had to go and ask one of the other workers for water and i didn't ask for a 2nd beer but he brought me one right after we finished eating. These guys have a good thing goiing but it will be ruined by this sad service. Frankly for the prices they charge i expect someone to occasionally stop over not just plop the plates down without a word and never follow up.

Sheboygan, Wisconsin
“It was ok”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

It was just OK for me. I would not say authentic other than the waiters and bus boys. Others at the table really loved what they got. I ordered the mole burrito, mole sauce was good, beans were OK, rice looked like it came out of a package.

Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
“FreshMex Dining”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Agave Fresh Mex & Cantina, 1474 W. Granada Blvd., Ormond Beach, FL 32174, 386-677-7779. It has been open slightly more than a year and has a most pleasant South of the border decor. An efficient and cheerful staff with good attention to patrons. My better half and I dined at approximately 5pm on a Saturday, the day before Mother's day. Although there were tables available, we chose to sit at a booth. The atmosphere and music was distinctly Mexican and the seating was very comfortable. We took our time deciding what to order from a menu replete with very attractively described dishes. I settled on a chicken fajita dinner, and my date chose a Queso/chicken taco dish that arrived piping hot on a monstrous platter including four large tacos filled with chicken, beans, salsa, lettuce, and cheese. Frijoles, salad, guacamole, and Spanish rice filled what little portion of the platter remained. Everything was tasty and very hot to the touch. My fajitas arrived on a traditional sizzling cast iron skillet, overflowing with the entree. Fresh tortilla chips and salsa were in constant supply as we waited for our meals to be prepared. It was a dining experience very similar to another fresh Mex restaurant chain we enjoy, called Chevy's. Now, we do not need to travel 130 miles round trip to experience exceptionally satisfying Mexican food at reasonable (though not inexpensive) prices. We will be returning quite often and hope to sample all of their huge menu. For those unfamiliar with the location of the restaurant, it can be found in the Town Square Mall situated about 1/4 mile east of I-95, exit 268, South side of Granada Blvd, at the intersection with Williamson Blvd. Plenty of parking and a sidewalk dining area, should one desire.

1 Thank Jim E
palm coast florida
“Best Mexican I've had since Mexico”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The restaurant is very nicely decorated and sparkling clean. The wait staff is very friendly and helpful without being intrusive. But best of all, the food is excellent in both taste and presentation. There are many Mexican restaurants in the area, but this one outshines them all. Highly recommended.

• Visited May 2014

Been to Agave? Share your experiences!