“We will be back!!”

Driftwood Beach Motel
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Ormond Beach
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Having not had a vacation or even a weekend away since 2001, being "burnt out on life" I can say that this place brought me alive again! I had read all the reviews before booking, knowing that this is a older place and the new owners are working on rehabbing the place, so I went in with eyes wide open and what did my eyes see?
A beautiful ocean steps away from my room, with all waves and gorgeous sunshine just waiting to be soaked up!
The room itself was nice, don't get me wrong it wasnt the Hilton, but the attempt is being made. Fresh clean room, sheets, clean towels, I needed extra pillows request was immediate in helping me.
All my appliances in the room were working, although there was a red line running through tv-not a problem to watch, office was aware and waiting on new tv.
They allow small dogs up to 20 pounds,I have a little dog who just loved the ocean breeze coming in on her while she slept;)
What made this hotel so special? ANSWER: They Care.
Well the last night we were there some younger people rented a room by us and was being quite loud when they arrived. I overheard a young girl outside our room on the phone telling her friends to come to a party, which me and my husband were like :Oh great, our last night here and we wont get any sleep!
We went ahead to dinner and decided that we would call- non-emergency police if it got out of hand, we didnt want to get them in trouble just to be quiet----so when I arrived back at the hotel
I seen the manager outside and asked her for the number, she said she would handle it, and they were told only 4 people could be in the room. As we were talking 4 more people went up to that room, next thing you know she tells me go back to your room everything will be fine and that was that! She went up and kicked them out before they could get loud and crazy!! Yay for us AND we had the best night's sleep !
Me and hubby have decided that we are going to try to stay here for a weekend every 6 weeks, to make up all the years we were to busy with life and never enjoying any of it, so Miss Vickie and Kelly we will be back soon!!

Room Tip: If your going to spend the night on the beach pay the extra and get a balcony, you can't beat th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sherri L
There are newer reviews for Driftwood Beach Motel

Reviewed 29 April 2013

The hotel is in a good location and accepts dogs which is a definite plus. However on the negative side the refrigerator did not work in our room on day one. The staff was very attentive and immediately came to give us another one. We also noticed there was not a coffee pot in the room but had coffee and cup. We were assured the refrigerator would work just fine. The next morning we realized the beer in the fridge was not cold and the coffee pot would not work. We finally realized neither the coffee pot, overhead light or fridge would work because there was something wrong with the outlet. We reported it both to the cleaning crew and the front office and got a "could care less" response. On a positive note the pool area is very nice which is where we spent most of our time. Good thing we had brought a cooler for beer!! The hotel needs a lot of work and really could not be categorized as a Resort!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Kingfish11
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Driftwood is an older motel, nothing fancy..but if you need a good nights sleep while listening to the oceans waves crash outside your window,,then READ ON.. Our room was oceanfront, comfortable (beds were great) and convenient to restaurants both up and down the street.
Miniature gold across the street was a blast.... We spent a great deal of time on the ocean and we also tried out the pool, which was very nice. The couple that run the motel were VERY kind..they kept the office one 1 and 1/2 hours after closing to accommodate us a late arrivals. Price is excellent!

Room Tip: Get an oceanfront room!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank drdave57
Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in oct 2012 and it was in the middle of being remodeled but there stair wells need to be better lit i fell the first night there and hurt my knee so my vacation was a bust but the view was amazing had a view of the ocean woke up to the sounds of the ocean will go back and try again

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank nyffemt
Reviewed 28 November 2012

This motel and its next door sister were doomed for razing and "rehab" as a multi-story deluxe condo. Fortunately, the developer failed before the motel fell, but there was a rough stretch of no maintenance during bankruptcy and foreclosure. We stayed there about 10 years ago and were thrilled to see it still in operation. The new owners are hard at work, trying to address deferred maintenance and eventually improve the whole property. It's not perfect yet, and face it, it's old and on the salt water and sandy beach. So sparkling windows and sandless floors are just not possible. But our room was tidy and clean although it was still undergoing repair and renovation (caulking, patching, etc.) It was equipped with a full array of kitchen appliances (full fridge, microwave and 4-burner stove and oven), pots and pans and utensils -- even ceramic (not plastic) dishes. The rates are a real bargain for a beach-front property. Don't expect the Ritz but enjoy a vestige of "old" Florida.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank glue55977
Reviewed 14 May 2012

When I say it’s good to be back I mean it. For over 15 years my sister and I stayed here but, because of the change in owners and conditions of the room and pool, we had no choice but spend our last 3 vacations somewhere else. To say things were bad is being kind and having no air conditioner was the least of our problems then.

The good news is, because of its new owner and staff, the Driftwood is back and better than ever. Each room now has, to name just a few up-grades, tiled floors, new frig, new stove and a new air conditioner.

You can stay there without a worry and fully enjoy the view and easy access to the beach.

This year’s vacation was like going home again.

Good job Driftwood!

Room Tip: Try to get one facing the beach. It's wonderful to be able to open your window and smell and hea...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Leslie N
Reviewed 4 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a few nights and were pleased with our experience! We were aware that they were re-modeling, and decided to stay anyway. The room wasn't 5 star, but knowing that they are working towards something better, we could see the strides they've made to upgrade, and we're excited to go back sometime soon to see what other improvements have been made.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple