“crapy room and no tv remote.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Makai Beach Lodge

Makai Beach Lodge
Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Ormond Beach
Ocala, Florida
“crapy room and no tv remote.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

I found the makai beach lodge to be one of the most terrable places I have ever stay in.
I will never stay there again I would rather sleep on the beach than in that place. I would not bring my two dogs to a place like that. And you could not go swing at night even when there where signs saying that the pool was open from 8:00 pm to 9 at night. Thanks for the rotten time I had there.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

I just got pictures from a friend in a family trip! The pictures of the moldy nasty room she sent me was the 2nd room they were given & supposedly a better room! her family tried to do the right thing after driving 20 hours & stay, but they just couldn't do it. Me personally I would recommend the health department being called!!! Moldy & filth & scum are unhealthy & deadly....guess what they refused to give all the money back!!! Shame Shame!!!
And shame on bookit.com for giving rave reviews...wish I'd have told her to use this sight, maybe her family woudnt have list a day of vaction!

• Stayed March 2012

Travellers are raving about these Ormond Beach hotels

Oshawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

I was coming from Canada and did not know what to expect. We had oceanview room, with very comfortable bed, great tv Lifetime movie channel, kitchen and bathroom. The front desk staff were all excellent, lead by Lisa. Free continental breakfast was excellent, as well as a free local paper, one of the best I have read. The shopping was excellent, and just a trolley ride away. We were there during bike week and we had 50 motorcycles in our hotel. There was not one noisy night. Spring Break was going on as well, again, no noise after 10:00. We could walk on the beach, lovely pool, onsite laundry. The restaurants in the area were all excellent didn't have one bad meal the entire month. I would highly recommend this hotel and I do not work for them. I loved the remote controlled air conditioner in our room. Thank you to all the wonderful staff, it was a wonderful time for my husband and I.

signed Sue from Canada

Room Tip: I would choose top floor ocean view....
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charmee2000
Athens, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Though this was a much older hotel, we loved it for our family trip in March. We stayed March 6-9, 2012. It is undergoing renovations & is definately not the Ritz. We had 2 adjoining rooms with a kitchen in the middle. Our rooms had new tile in the bathrooms, but had not been renovated otherwise. Our biggest requirements were that it be right on the beach, have microwave & fridge, and be cheap. It met all these requirements perfectly!!!! The staff was wonderful!!! They had beach gear & chairs you could check out for the day for free. The breakfast was fruit, yogurt, instant oatmeal, pastries & English muffins. They even had a free ice cream social on Thursday afternoon. This hotel seemed to have a lot of snowbirds from up north. It was very family friendly. Free wifi, right on the main strip, close to everything, even though we mostly just wanted to be in the water. We would definately stay here again, loved the experience, can't wait to return. Don't be put off by the age or renovation process or you will miss a jewel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Deltona, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We booked this through Groupon for a good rate. We read some reviews that were positive so we were looking forward to the little getaway. Unfortunately I checked again the day before the trip and new reviews explained the hotels condition alot better. My wife says I expect too much and since we only paid about $55 a night we got what we paid for. Well the hotel has changed owners recently. I guess they are trying to fix it up but not our room. The bathroom was missing some tiles in the shower. The tissues in the bathroom was in a rusty box with no cover. In the room there were spots in the walls that needed to be fixed. The door frame inside our room wasn't painted at all. The pool area wasn't very nice and not a relaxing experiance. The worst part is on the 3rd night our A/C went out at 11pm. We called down and they said they would reset the breaker. At 1am I called to the front desk and they had no idea it still wasn't working. At 1:20 a security guy came up and had no idea how to fix it. He came back again 20 mins. later to replace batteries in the remote. THERE WAS NO POWER TO THE A/C SO CHANGING THE BATTERIES WASN'T GOING TO FIX IT. Then I was told they would send someone from maintenance to fit it in the morning. Needless to say that when we checked out at 11 it was never fixed and VERY HOT!! I told the manager when we checked out and he told me that next time we stay there he would give us a better rate. I DON'T THINK THIS WILL BE NECESSARY. I would never stay there again. The moral to the story is next time I will spend more money to get a nicer room and you get what you pay for. I just wish the previous reviews were more realistic. We wouldn't have ever thought about staying here in the first place

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Corey M
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

I don't know who's writing the good reviews but I have an idea...the management. This place is an absolute dump. I bought a Groupon deal because the pictures looked okay. I wasn't expecting much, but this place is absolutely terrible. Old, run-down, filthy. The chairs on the balcony were covered in something that looked like soot from a chimney. The pool area is dirty and the chairs are all torn up. I checked out five minutes after checking in. Stay away!

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank wordjunkie
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

This place is old, dirty, and falling apart. Beds are so umcomfotble and half the appliance didn't work. I read these other reviews and they sound like they are an advertisment from the hotel owners. Why does every review sound the same - and they all list everything that is in the motel. This place is a dump. Stay elsewhere!

Room Tip: Stay in a differnt hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family