“This place is # 1......dump”
Review of Makai Beach Lodge

Makai Beach Lodge
Ranked #22 of 29 Hotels in Ormond Beach
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I booked this on-line based on the number of rave reviews. I read some of the gripes but figured with such a wide variation that some people were just complainers. I can usually overlook shortcomings but this place is terrible. It's old, dirty, the towels and linens are thin and dingy, the corridors are dim lit, the elevator is nasty. I went for breakfast once and it was so unappealing, I never went back. If you are wondering why I stayed, my husband said it was punishment for booking on-line.

3  Thank kycats941
There are newer reviews for Makai Beach Lodge

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Our vacation was June 19-24, 2014.
First I would love to say thank you to Carrie and William who was a big help to me and my family.
When arrived there was issues with the room type. When I spoke with a form employee I was told something totally different from what was told to me upon arrival. I was very pleased how fast the issue was fixed. Our room was clean , housekeeping was nice, the whole staff was nice. Only thing was the pictures online and in person seem different. But we had ball.. yes we will be back...

Room Tip: Please look at the pictures. Because they are different.
1  Thank Renee B
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Rooms were dirty, floor and inside of mini fridge had stains. Banister was loose, lock to balcony door was broken and had been rigged with some bar that you pull up when you want to step outside. Elevator was out of order. I will say front desk staff were courteous and gave us a full refund.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank 4flynnsfamily
Reviewed 20 June 2014

these people make you feel like your the only coustomer, the whole staff was wonderful. i would not hesitate to stay there again. thanks to steve and all the staff. the place was not super big but it was very friendly. the pool was nice and the beach area was nice. the whole stay was quite pleasant

Room Tip: ocean front rooms are awesome.
1  Thank Rick K
Reviewed 15 June 2014

After weeks of reviews and consideration, we made reservations for an ocean view King Standard room which to our surprise and (what we thought) joy,was upgraded to a ocean view King Suite. Well, we were disgusted immediately due to the hair balls we found on the couch, food on dining chairs, food left on stove, hair in the bed, floors not clean(hair and film). The locks on the door didn't work and the lock for the glass sliding door was a piece of pvc pipe that we had to drop down in the track. We did however enjoy the beach and pool, and was impressed with the Breakfast they provided...I'll have to say one of the best continental set ups I've seen...but NO we won't return to this "Lodge" simply because of the NON cleanliness....THEN!!! when we go to check out we are asked to pay a $2.00 a day Resort Fee..Seriously????

Room Tip: Ask when the last time the room/floors have been cleaned or even ask to inspect the room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KarenStarlingCrisel
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I planned my vacation a month and a half in advance. Turned down pretty decent rates at Best Western to stay here and very disappointed. We stayed 3 nights and 4 days. Never received a clean towel or rag, trash was never taken out(except for our own housekeeping ability), and the floors left a black film over all of our feet (7 guests). The kitchen still had food crumbs in the cabinets and spilled food in the fridge. The bed sheets were obviously not changed as there were dirt stains and a weird green blob on one of them. Televisions worked...sometimes. Beach experience was fun, local restaurants were okay, but the hotel was a drag. Continental breakfast? More like cereal, a few danishes (swarmed by flies all 3 mornings), and waffles...burnt to a pure crisp. Nothing like charred waffles in the morning. Thank god for the Denny's just down the road. After calling all three days to have these issues resolved, I met with the manager upon checkout to express my disgust and utter disappointment...she proceeded to acknowledge my concerns and assured me that she would help to resolve the situation and call us back later that day...after 3 days were still waiting. Will not recommend or return.

6  Thank Adam J
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed in a nice double room suite with kitchen on the ground floor, facing the ocean. What a wonderful view of the sunrise in the morning! We only stayed there 2 nights this time. Next time will be longer! The rooms were clean and well laid out, the beds were ok, but not the best. It was nice to sleep with the sound of the REAL ocean in the background! (We left the patio door open so we could hear it.) We did not eat breakfast on Sunday morning, because we had to leave early for a pancake breakfast at De Leon Springs. Monday(and other weekdays) breakfast isn't worth getting up for. We went to IHOP. The staff was nice and helpful. Rates were not bad for an ocean front room.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are worth the $$.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family