“Unexpected gem that saved our holiday!”

Howard Johnson Ormond Beach at Destination Daytona
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Ormond Beach
Ludington, Michigan, United States
“Unexpected gem that saved our holiday!”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Long story short, we started out renting a private home that turned into a disaster. We couldn't stay at the home due to cleanliness issues. In a long search of "nicer" places to stay, we stumbled on Destination Daytona. Next to a Harley Davidson dealership, you say? Ummm. Ohhh. Let's at least go check it out. We aren't into staying near the beach or near the Spring Break crowd, so why not?

When we arrived, the sweetest girl on the planet greeted us. Julie was so helpful and thoughtful with making sure we ended up in a room(s) that fitted our needs. We needed at least a 2 bedroom suite for our 3 children (ages 14, 12, 8). The rooms were perfect! One room had 2 queens, another had 1 king and the "middle" room was a living area with pull-out couch and full kitchen! Bonus WASHER/DRYER in the king room. Total score!!

This hotel ended up being everything we needed. There are plenty of places to get a bite to eat near by, it's a short drive to all things classic Daytona, easy on and off the expressway, a beautiful pool area and free breakfast!

Worried that it might be over-run with biker types? Not true. Maybe during Bike Week, but we had a pleasant stay that was appropriate for our kids. The hotel was quiet, peaceful and clean. Clean being a huge thing for me! We had no major issues or problems with our stay and would totally stay again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MelissaW10_73

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Beverly, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We booked a room for the last weekend of Bike week. The room was flawless. We had the queen deluxe guest room with two beds, an apt size fridge, good size TV, microwave and a nice clean bathroom. The Harley Davidson dealership is on the premises along with three nice restaurants. There is even a concert area called the coca cola pavilion which had name bands and other events going on. The staff was very courteous and took care of all our needs. They went out of there way to make sure we felt at home. We will definitely book a room there on our next trip. It is located at the intersection of Rt 95 and Rt1. Very convenient to get to and from. Would not hesitate to recommend them. Especially during either bike week. You are right in the middle of all the action.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor which had a nice view of a small pond.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John T
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I stayed one night during race week and I was given a ground floor patio room as my boyfriend has a handicap status. We liked the room and the fact it was first floor. Upon check out we asked if that particular room Was available for three specific nights during bike week.. The clerk said it was for only those nights so we paid $900 believing we would have that room based on the clerks word. What a surprise when we arrived and our room was occupied by a young non-handicap couple. We were then told rooms are not guaranteed. ( after quite a bit of back peddling by the clerk) we were placed in a second floor balcony room over the bar. The rugs were stained and had a cigarette burn. After speaking to other people it appears that the hotel had done the same to Them. Definitely a very expensive mistake. We could have stayed beachfront near main street for that price and saved destination Daytona for a day excursion. Live and learn.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Abcdwxyz
MAlexander910, General Manager at Howard Johnson Ormond Beach at Destination Daytona, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear Ms. H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your Bike Week visit at Destination Daytona Inn & Suites.

It is apparent that we fell short of your expectations during your second visit to our hotel, and for this I apologize. When your reservation was made in February for Daytona Beach Bike Week, you booked a Deluxe Balcony Room. Although we try our best to accommodate the unique requests of our guests, we cannot guarantee that each special request is honored. In your case, the particular patio room on the first floor that you requested had been occupied for several days by the time of your arrival. I sincerely apologize that it was not effectively communicated to you during the time you made your reservation that a particular room could not be guaranteed, especially during an event as busy as Bike Week.

It saddens me to hear that the quality of the carpet in your guest room was not up to our standards of cleanliness at Destination Daytona Inn & Suites. It is a point of pride that our housekeeping department takes great measures to ensure that each guest room exceeds our standards and our guest’s expectations. It is obvious that your room was not prepared to those standards and I will address this issue with the housekeeping staff and supervisor to prevent any future deficiencies in carpet cleanliness.

Thank you again for sharing your experiences with me. Through candid guest input, I can address and correct our weaknesses to the benefit of all our future guests. I apologize again that we fell short of your expectations this visit, but I do hope that you will give Destination Daytona Inn & Suites another opportunity to regain your confidence in our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly to reserve a future reservation so I can help ensure that your next experience with us a pleasurable one.

Warm Regards,

Lane Powell
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I stayed here at the end of February for one night during Daytona 500 weekend. I was meeting my friends on Saturday and needed a cheap but clean place on the Friday night and found this place on the internet.

I arrived at about 10pm after a long flight from the UK. The place is split with rooms in the main hotel and then motel style rooms across the car park. Unfortunately I had been allocated a room across the car park - it was dark and on my floor I could see two people hanging around on the balcony which was quite scary to be honest. When I got in my room I barricaded the door with the table.

Room itself was absolutely fine - nice, clean and spacious and I got an OK night sleep. When I woke up the next morning and saw things in the daylight I felt much better about the place - very friendly staff and great free complimentary breakfast. Nice location with the Harley Davidson shop as well.

Overall this served its purpose fine, but would have been much happier to stay in the main building and avoid the car park motel rooms!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank JACKSONJE8
Toronto
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Nestled between a truck stop and a harley dealer, this motel just off the I95 was perfect for a one night stop over. The rooms were clean and comfortable. There was an exterior corridor with an elevator. The included Breakfast was decent, they had a bar and restaurant in the building but we didn't use them .

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank scott6428
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Accomodations are very nice and great for kids. Really would visit again!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sally b
Royal Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 1 February 2012

My wife and I spent 2 days/1night at the hotel and the area. The hotel staff were awesome, very friendly and helpful. The hotel and rooms were very clean, furniture was above average. Free breakfast with a view of the grounds on the 3rd floor was nice! There are shops on the grounds and of course Bruce Rossmeyer's Harley-Davidson dealership and J&P Cycles. If your a biker, this is the place to stay.
My wife and I want to come back for big events. I recommend the balcony rooms overlooking the parking lot to view the events. We are planning on coming back for a longer stay and see more of Ormond Beach and Daytona too!

Room Tip: Rooms in Building 7 (main building) on west side with balconies. You can view the activities in the...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple