“Never again will I EVER stay anywhere else!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sun Deck Motel

Sun Deck Motel
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Ormond Beach
“Never again will I EVER stay anywhere else!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2010

I stay at the Sundeck and I honestly have never stayed in a motel that was this comfortable. It is like a home away from home. I am directly on the beach, across the street from stores that I can get everything I would ever need for my vacation, the rooms are supplied with dishes and all i need to cook (even a toaster and can opener), the staff are very friendly and helpful, the rooms are very clean and bug free (very hard to find in florida) and most of all, the rates are so affordable that it only makes sense to stay here. I am a long time resident of Volusia county and have stayed in many of the motels along the beach and away from it, you WILL NOT find a better motel and for the price, one would be a fool to go anywhere else. I have 2 small children and i could not feel any safer. My boyfriends motorcycle had also gotten hit by a cab that tried to take off at 3am while we were asleep. The owner had seen it happen and to make a long story short, the outcome was good because Keith (the owners son) was kind enough to ensure it WASNT a hit and run. Thankyou Keith! If you have not been here and are looking for Daytona's best kept secret as far as motel's go, just come check it out. You will not be dissapointed! My review may sound as if i am an employee but, i am not. Just very happy that I found this place and you will to along with all the repeat visitors they have constantly. That's another thing, the people who come to stay here are great as well. Oh, almost forgot. They also have gas grills that make my stay that much more fun. I could go on some more but, I'll leave the rest for you to see for yourself.

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank ryansbug

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
South Mountain, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2010

I had a bit of concern when the most recent reviews I read were by first-time posters to TripAdvisor, but I decided to ignore that concern. I shouldn't have. I don't want to sound like this motel is bad, it isn't bad. It just doesn't live up to the rave reviews and probably shouldn't be ranked #1.

Yes, the staff there are great, very friendly and eager to assist. The location is wonderful with a lovely beach. Sadly, I found lower prices later for other Ormond Beach hotels, so as to value, I have to say this was not the greatest value.

The property is maintained but old. Sometimes you just can't fix "old." Our room was as promised -- queen bed and kitchen area. I wanted to open the windows to catch the beautiful ocean breeze and listen to the waves (the reason I was requested an oceanfront room) and found the windows could not be opened. The room above us had their windows open but I could not move ours.

The bed was the smallest "queen" size bed we have ever slept in. Very bad night of sleep between the size of the bed and quality of the pillows. Had to go to the office to get extra pillows. (We were supposed to sleep on the pillowcase-less pillows inside the pillow shams? I don't think so.) And also had to ask for a blanket -- the young man found one and it wasn't queen size. He told me we were supposed to sleep under the bedspread. No, bedspreads are not to be slept under. Ewww. (In all fairness, I did finally find a blanket the next morning in the kitchen area, so there was a blanket in the room.) Realized in the morning that neither shampoo nor hair dryer were provided.

The thing that unsettled me the most is that some people LIVE in the motel. We saw into a room that was most obviously a residence (personal furniture, decor, and a very green aquarium). The only way I can describe this is creepy. I know that motels in my area where people live are the ones I tell visitors to avoid.

Overall, this location was a disappointment.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cjajsmom
Longwood, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

This is a no frills motel, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's located steps away from Ormond Beach, has a very attentive staff. The furniture is outdated and the walls are paper thin, but when you figure in the price, the good definitely outweighs the bad. I wouldn't stay here every time I visited Ormond Beach, but I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2010

My husband & I were looking for a nice place within budget, no frills. Looked at the reviews on this website, and decided to give this a try. Upon first glance, it looked very clean, a little green gem among the condo high rises. We checked in and were warmly welcomed. The room we stayed in had all new fixtures, ceiling fan, and scotchguarded carpet - - not a speck of dust or stain on anything, even around windows & fan!

Now, if you don't like little kids running around on the porch in front of their parents' room, better not chance the stay. Also, if you're one that can't sleep through the second floor march above you right after the bars close, same. We noted someone at the oceanfront arguing in the later evening, but that sound was remedied by turning on the new ceiling fan and the window unit to drown it out. We didn't encounter any hobos or questionable characters that you may occasionally see walking AIA around Ormond & Daytona. If there were, I suspect that the eagle-eyed day manager would weed them out within a day or two.

The owner was out and about all weekend improving the grounds. It was quite comforting that all was congenial and guests next to you would speak and swap vacation and fishing stories. The presence of the gas grills and outdoor chairs sparked many conversations while we went back and forth to the surf. We would recommend Lenny's NY Pizza (within a mile N AIA) for value and quality of food, if you're tired of cooking in your room!

We can't say enough about the staff. Every encounter had concern interwoven through their conversation. You didn't have to worry about running out of anything or tidying up before the maid came in. They didn't bother you except if running something back to you that you asked for. We felt positive enough about the stay, that we went ahead and booked our return trip before we checked out. Now that we're home, we are already planning out the next trip!

We'll be back to stay with our friends again soon.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ricklen
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2010

I am so tempted to say that this place was horrible just so it can stay our little secret, but I would totally be lying!!! We Love the Sun Deck, and will definitely be back!! My wife and I came up and were a little nervous, the rate was so good we wondered what was up, usually when something seems too good to be true, it usually is! But in this case, we were absolutely delighted! The rooms are just what you need, no frills, mind you, but who needs them when you are there for the beach and to simply relax? The staff was Great, and were genuinely concerned about our comfort, constantly asking if we needed anything when they saw us, but otherwise left us alone. Thanks to Robert and Michelle, we will definitely be back!! Greg and Patty P.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank petryg
Lady Lake, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

My friend and my choc lab decided last minute to go over night in ormond beach, i asked neighbor who goes all the time and they highly recommened the sun deck to us. My friend and i arrived there early and the staff let us ck in early which was a great plus because of my dog and we wanted to go to beach. The room was very clean and cute. This place has mini kitchen and full size frig, very handy. We had a great veiw of beach, which takes 2 seconds to walk down to, it was beautiful. We will for sure come back again, it was so peaceful and relaxing. Thankyou to the staff for our great stay, it was the best and my dog thanks you tooooo!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank meandchloe
Evansville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

My husband and I stayed at the sun deck in june 2010 we were only going to check in for a nite on our way to fort lauderdale whyndom palm aire resort and we ended up staying for our whole honeymoon at the sun deck . we absolutely loved it it was very clean the rooms were decorated tastefully and the staff was very plesant we very much enjoyed the seclusion that we found from the hustle and bustle of most motels the access to the ocean was great we could go out anytime and just walk the beach it was never crowded and the view was amazing it was an all around great stay we will be back year after year we would not stay anywhere else

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple