“Okay, a little "Beachy"”

The Cove on Ormond Beach
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Ormond Beach
Elma, New York
“Okay, a little "Beachy"”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We are Marriott Vacation Club owners and booked an extra week we had for this property through Interval. We stayed in the South tower. If you want your own washer/dryer, make sure you request the South Tower and not the North. Check in was fairly easy. I was not happy with the resort fee of $7.99 thrown at me upon checking in. When I booked, there was no mention of this fee. I guess it covers WiFI and the use of chairs and towels on the beach. Still, it was a surprise and I don't like surprises. After checking in, we were directed to the concierge desk to pick up our parking pass. Of course they could have given us this pass at the registration desk, but it was obvious what was to happen next. While picking up the parking pass we were asked to go to a presentation to introduce us to Diamond Resorts, the new owners of this facility. After a few "No thank you's" we were allowed to go and start our vacation. The room was a bit small compared to the Marriott's. Floors were gritty, because of the sand, patio very small and some utensils were missing. It was comfortable, but in need of some work. Bring your own toiletries, because all you will get in the room is two small bars of soap. Each time you wish to use beach towels you must sign them out at the front desk in the North tower. I might stay there again, but would probably try a different property first.

Room Tip: If you desire a washer and dryer in your room, book the South Tower instead of the North Tower.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Donald C
diamondresorts, Manager at The Cove on Ormond Beach, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for your review. As we are committed to creating an experience that exceeds guest satisfaction, we are concerned that you may have not been made aware of our resort fee. We would like to note that we make every effort to ensure that our 3rd party rental and exchange partners advise our guests of this at the time of booking. We also include this information on our website. We consider this expense to be a minimal cost covering Wi-Fi, local calls, in-room safe, parking for one personal vehicle (no RV or trailer), beach towels, beach amenities, weekday papers (available in the lobby), business center, daily coffee/tea (available in the North Tower lounge), and barbecue facilities that guests may find useful. Nevertheless, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. As we are primarily a Vacation Ownership property, the offering to attend our vacation ownership sales presentation is a part of the check in process. While many of our guests are interested to find out more about our products (and the free gifts that are included for attending); unless you are staying on a promotional trip, you are not required to attend this presentation unless you want to. Lastly, our property offers a midweek cleaning and toiletry replenishment for longer stays however, our front desk team would be happy to provide additional personal care items if needed. We are glad to read that you had an overall enjoyable visit and we hope to have another opportunity to see you back soon! Till then we wish you safe travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Shamong, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I have to say that as always reading many of the reviews we were not sure what to expect. We traveled with our son, daughter-in-law and 19 month old granddaughter on a timeshare exchange. We were upgraded without a problem to the 7th floor in the South Tower, which had 2 balcony's and a wonderful ocean view. There is not a restaurant or bar on premises, therefore the low rating though truly not a negative.....
No, mother nature did not always participate, though the resort was very nice. Local restaurants are terrific and Publix to the Ormond Beach and Daytona way is great. If the kids like McDonald's or Burger King, close as well. We could walk to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts if that coffee fix was needed.
The indoor pool was not quite what we expected (small and loud) and not as clean as a Hilton or Marriott indoor pool (sorry, travel a great deal for work and our next destination was Orlando Embassy Suites). The resort is clean, safe and even my husband and son had fun on the water slide!!!.
Great to walk to Daytona area, Ormond Beach over the beach, great parks and a short drive to wonderful St. Augustine. We would definitely return again.

Room Tip: South Tower, higher level
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank B F
Halifax , NS! Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We exchanged our time share for a week at this resort. We had a one bedroom unit in the North Tower. Clean and adequately equipped. Comfortable bed and pillows. The balcony overlooked the ocean. The outdoor pool was not heated so quite cool at this time of year. The closest grocery store was a bit of a drive, approx 2-3 miles but easy to get to. The staff were pleasant and always spoke when you encountered them. When checking out there was initially only one person one the desk with quite a few people trying to check out as it was a Saturday so this process took a little longer than it should have.

Room Tip: I think all units overlook the beach but if they don't make sure to ask for one.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Al W
diamondresorts, Manager at The Cove on Ormond Beach, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
We apologise if the check-in process was a little longer than you would have expected and hopefully this has not marred the rest of your stay. We hope to see you coming back in the future!
Hamden, CT
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My rating is based in part on what I expected for what I paid. My wife and I had an Interval special offer for an extremely generous rate for a 2 BR that we took with friends. We were in the south tower, which I gather might not be quite as nice as the north tower, but it was perfectly fine. While the sitting area might not be quite as large as in some other time shares, it was by no means inadequate, and the kitchen, bedroom and bath facilities were very good. We had a partial ocean view. I haven't been in the area before, and this was no in prime season, so I'd guess in season is different, but RT. A1A on which the Cove is located was quiet at all hours. Very little vehicle traffic on the beach. There is an IHOP across the street and a very good restaurant called the Starwood almost directly across the street as well. Other restaurants in Ormond Beach are a very short drive and all the Daytona Beach facilities are within 10-15 minutes.

The only real downside for us was the outdoor pool. While it is a very nice area, it really is only for wading at 3 feet, so you can't really swim in the pool. While the weather was fairly warm for early Dec,. the ocean was cold, so having a more adult friendly pool would have been nice. The deck furniture is also fairly worn and should be updated. For those who care about such things, there isn't an outdoor pool or snack bar. Overall, it was nice experience and we would return. The staff was very friendly and once we told the time share staff that we weren't interested in more time share, nobody bothered us.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Papa11
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 12 December 2013

The Cove is essential a timeshare on the beach. We used it for a two day visit to the Daytona Rod Show, Thanksgiving weekend.
The facilities are nice and perfect for extend stays and families. It does NOT have the amenities you normally would expect in a hotel -- restaurant, ice machines etc. Luckily there was an I Hop across the highway.

The resort was virtually empty and they gave us the room by the elevator back off the beach on a low floor. Since this was our first visit, being potential buyers and the resort being virtually empty, you would think that we would have been given a better room.

Check-in was interesting. The front desk mandated that you provide the license plate number of your vehicle. We then were directed to the Time Share sales desk to get our parking pass (which was pre-printed), and an attempted sales pitch. We finally were able to get to our room.
The resort is fine for extended stays and family friendly--not for over night guests.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Lucky enough to have a two bedroom unit in the north tower with a balcony that faced the ocean - view was amazing. During high tide there is very little beach but as the tide goes out there is a vast beach area. Would be a great area for children to play as the beach is very flat. Be aware that cars are allowed to drive on the beach and don't expect to find a beach full of shells - I saw very few.

The hotel and our unit was very clean. The staff was friendly and attentive. Indoor pool is open 9 AM to 9 PM. Outdoor pool area and waterslide should be fun for children if the weather cooperates.

Disappointed to have to pay an additional fee of $63 upon arrival since this was in Interval International exchange.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank wildlime92
diamondresorts, Manager at The Cove on Ormond Beach, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
We are happy to read that you had an pleasurable stay here at The Cove on Ormond Beach. It is vital to us to ensure that our guests can enjoy they stays in a hospitable atmosphere and we are pleased that you consider our team members helpful and friendly and also that you enjoyed our central location and comfortable accommodation. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Dexter, Michigan
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I have been a member of Interval International for many years. I typically am on the road 15 or more weeks a year utilizing the Getaway process. This resort is very nice, it has a friendly, professional staff, on the whole I like it. I have stayed here in the past. However this year, upon check-in yesterday, I was informed that I would have to pay an additional $9 per day fee. Sadly I have already purchased two weeks this winter. I now have to eat an additional $126 for my two weeks. It is sad because I really like it here, but they have lost a customer. I contacted Interval and was told that any resort has the right to charge you more, at their whim, and that it had said so in the box I had checked (that no one reads) when reserving the place. My plan is to now call each resort ahead of reserving to check for hidden charges. I would like to add that I have stayed at hundreds of resorts over the years and this is the first time that I have ever had to pay an additional fee above and beyond the original charge. I don't really understand it, but it makes me angry and sad because I really like this place, but I will never stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Chateau Mar Beach Resort
Chateau Mar Beach Resort
#12 of 27 in Ormond Beach
Daytona Beach Resort and Conference Center

Been to The Cove on Ormond Beach? Share your experiences!