“A Wiltshire Gem”

Ranked #1 of 1 Aldbourne B&B and Inns
Durham, Canada
“A Wiltshire Gem”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Returning to Wiltshire this Summer (2013) I was looking for a country pub and Inn, of which I heard there were many. I chose The Crown Aldbourne randomly, and don't regret it.

First of all, it is an independent pub with a totally local flavour! And that flavour takes many forms, from the locally brewed beer to the home cooking and, above all, the Publican or Patron. He is a charming man, helpful in every way to make the stay at his Inn a pleasant one.

While as a Pub, The Crown Aldbourne is excellent - with locals popping in and out both at night and in the morning - as an Inn the place is a bit tired. It is old and charming, but could use a facelift. My friend and I benefited from the fact that on this particular night we were the only guests, and the Publican proudly showed us to the 'best' guest room! That was certainly appreciated, but opens the question as to what the others might be like. However, we had a good night's sleep and can't complain! Country charm sometime comes at a price!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Daniel K
crown2011, Owner at The Crown Aldbourne, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for telling it as you see it and I happy for review which tell the truth. I hope we offer a god standard and are always looking to improve as only last week I change to dining room chair which make the place look light and airy. For your information all the room are of simpler standard.
In the spring I will be repainting the outside to bring the out wall up to standard.

Once again thank you for staying here and hope you will recommend your friends when in England to or try our beer and traditional English foods and hope to see you again

alan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed here few weekends ago as attending a nearby wedding, what added to the weekend was the annual carnival held here combined with funfair and lots and lots of people. We didn't mind, we did have to park a short walk away but village is so small it was not really a problem. We also found out through the landlord that this is where 'Band Of Brothers' was stationed during the war before going to D-Day landings. He was happy to chat but kept a nice distance and respected us as guests I'd go here again as its a great area for the horse racing trainer stables, Stonehenge and beautiful countryside surrounding village. Good ales and good breakfast. Lovely room too decoration suited the building very well but retained its character and charm.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Martin P
crown2011, Owner at The Crown Aldbourne, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Thank you for your very kind remarks and we await your return.
Its always nice to receive review epically when they reflected our pub / inn and restaurant so well

once again thank you Alan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Amazing food and a comfortable bed in lovely room in a picturesque village. Can't rate the meals high enough, everything was delicious and plentiful. Staff were very friendly and the inn is smashing place to spend an afternoon or evening. Extensive selection of drinks too. Would highly recommend to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank AlexNoonan
crown2011, Owner at The Crown Aldbourne, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank you its is always nice to here that our effort is recognised and I will pass your kind comment of to my chef and staff

once again thanks Alan
Pulborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I stay at The Crown regularly and have done so since discovering it several years ago - and it has been improving every time I have stayed since Alan the Landlord took over a couple of years ago. It is difficult running a place such as this, trying to keep costs down whilst maintaining standards and I believe Alan has managed it superbly compared to the previous tenants . Although a non-drinker, Alan keeps an excellent and varied selection of beers and wines and the food, fresh and as home-made as you could expect. Rooms are clean, comfortable and quiet with the exception of the one above the kitchen!
Great value, a warm welcome, sometimes quirky but I have stayed in a lot worse! Read he comments about the dog licking Alan's hands, but come on, he is a friendly animal and the dog is ok, too!
I am almost a local here now, a great village wish I lived there. Maybe I should rate the place low to discourage others so I can always be guaranteed a room!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are "Cottagey" and comfortable, but Room 6 above the kitchen can be noisy; Room...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Michael T
crown2011, Owner at The Crown Aldbourne, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Thank for all that you said and I have noted your constrictive comment about the sound from the kitchen and I will look in to this and see how I can do some sound proofing . Have call in a fridge engineer to see if we can make one of my fridge fan less noisy once I have adjusted this I will sleep in room 6 and see if their is improvement. On your next visit you will be able to here an improvement in lower volume from the kitchen
once again thank for all the kind word alan
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Sorry I'm a little late in writing this review but I got there in the end!
My husband and I stayed here last October for my birthday weekend having read some of the good reviews and were certainly not disappointed.
Alan the owner was very friendly and accommodating upon our arrival and throughout the rest of our stay (as was his lovely little dog).
Our room was very comfortable and clean with a real country feel about it.
We ate here both evenings and had breakfast both mornings. All meals were great and my husband particularly enjoyed the stone baked pizza!! We even took his parents back there for lunch as he was so impressed!
A band were playing on the first night of our stay who were really great and it created a lovely atmosphere. Both young bar staff were also very friendly and helpful.
All in all a great value stay and a lovely pub which we hope to return to at some point.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Strawb1978
crown2011, Owner at The Crown Aldbourne, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
As always we very much appreciate your very kind words and I will pass onto my staff .
We try our best and will away try to find way of making your stay even better next time.
We look forward to seeing you again Alan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I stayed at The Crown in Aldbourne for three nights a few weeks ago whilst visiting family in the village and surrounding area. My room was spotlessly clean, very comfortable and quiet with everything you need, including fluffy towels, tea & coffee making facilities(fresh milk provided)and TV.
My family and I ate three times in the Bar area, the food was fabulous, home made and perfect setting eating next to the lovely log fire.
Alan the landlord and his staff could not be more friendly or do enough to make you feel at home and comfortable. The Sunday Roast was particularly great value and such a good helping there was no room for dessert. The locals were all very nice and warm and friendly and I found the whole experience delightful and was sad to leave as it was like home from home.
I love the fact that dogs are welcome, it is after all, a typical English Country village pub too few of which remain these days.
I will definitely be staying there again and look forward to the warmth and comfort, the friendly service and great food.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Anna T
crown2011, Owner at The Crown Aldbourne, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Thank you very much for your kind word and it was a pleasure to have you stay here and we will always try our best to keep up our standard and improve were we can. On your return you note that we have upgraded the shower unit as part of our on-going improvement.
Once again form me and my staff thank you
Alan
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 January 2013

There were more dogs( of the large variety) than patrons in the downstairs bar .We felt like intruders rather than paying guests as we had to walk through the bar to the stairway up to our room.We were welcomed by a squadron of flies in our room and the coffee maker spat hot water over the cupboard and floor.The shower was awkward and the thin walls made sleep unpleasant with the midnight romping of the couple next door.The wifi was feeble.Breakfast was served on sticky tables and cereals offered straight from the box.The owner allowed a scruffy mutt to lick his hand and then he went into the kitchen to cook a greasy inedible breakfast.Just Dreadful.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
crown2011, Owner at The Crown Aldbourne, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
We are always sorry if we don’t meet your expectations but I notice you stayed in Aug 2012 and waited until 1st Jan 2013 to make a reviev. You had several complaints and yet you did not bring it to our attention at the time of staying and now 5 month later. It is not possible due to the time delay to replay to all your comments.
I would like to point out that even though I had my dog lick me before I handle any food I use anti-bacterial hand wash as do all my staff and are very aware of hygiene regulation.
We are sorry you don’t like dogs but we are a dog friendly pub and many clients like to walk their dog in the lovely countryside around our village. Once again we apologise and will always try improve
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldbourne
Chiseldon House
#1 of 1 in Ogbourne Saint George
Alexandra House
Alexandra House
#1 of 1 in Wroughton

Been to The Crown Aldbourne? Share your experiences!