“A Little Gem....so glad I stayed.”

The Crown Aldbourne
Ranked #1 of 1 Aldbourne B&B and Inns
Liverpool
“A Little Gem....so glad I stayed.”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stay in hotels at least a couple of times a week with my job. I have stayed in far too many hotels to remember and I have forgotton most of them. The Crown, however I think will stay in my memory for quite a while. It is a lovely old building with bags of character. I stayed for just one night and was greeted by a very pleasant young man who showed me to my room.

The room ( Room 6 ) was spacious and pleasantly decorated. The bed was very comfortable and the room had everything I needed.

I decided to eat at the pub and was not disappointed. A roaring log fire, lots of intelligent friendly locals and a pleasant chat with the owner. The pub is clearly the centre of the local community with people rolling up to the cinema night which was being held in a separate part of the pub...so refreshing to see families enjoying time together.

My meal itself was very good. I had whitebait to start then a home made pizza which was very tasty indeed.

I had a really good nights sleep and my breakfast was freshly prepared with local ingredients and very good also. I am so glad I stayed in this lovely old inn that is full of character as opposed to a bland chain hotel with no atmosphere and no "real " people who will take the time to have a chat with you.

I was made very welcome at The Crown and will certainly stay again when in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Cags1970
crown2011, Owner at The Crown Aldbourne, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
thank you for your honest and kind review this always lighten my and will pass this on to my staff which make them fill they are doing a good job for me and my clients

Once again thank you and hope to see you soon and for you interest we are upping the game as we have employed an new and very experience chef to add to out team

thanks alan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 November 2013

For our last night in the UK we decided not to book ahead and just find a place off the main roads. Not the best way to find good places.

The Crown is located in the quaint village Aldbourne. It's the only pub in town, with lodging above. We spend 135 pound total for a double and single room. The most expensive one of our stay. The rooms were average. I had the single (lucky me). The bathroom was equipped with a automated pump. Which had some problems with flushing toilet paper. The brush next to the toilet fell apart when I took it out of the holder. Furthermore, in the middle of the night some sort of automated irrigation system activated which made an annoying whistling sound.

The only other restaurant was closed, so we ate dinner at the Crown also. I had the veggie pizza which was very nice. My traveling companions had nice dinners too. The staff was friendly enough.

The pub area is ok. Lot's of locals took a pint after work, before dinner. The room was smoke-filled from the fireplace. It was a bit suffocating and annoying. The drinks were fine though!

Our real complaint came the following morning. When we arrived we were asked at what time we wanted breakfast. Because we were on our way back to the Netherlands we wanted to eat at the earliest possible time, 7.30am. Next morning we arrived in the restaurant which was completely dark. The two cleaning ladies phoned the owner, which instead of cooking us breakfast had gone hunting! He had completely forgotten the arrange a replacement cook! We had to wait till 8.45 before breakfast was served. We did get a half-assed apology, but a discount would have been in order.

All in all, very average for the amount paid.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RubenB_12
crown2011, Owner at The Crown Aldbourne, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
I am all way disappointed if customer are not satisfied and take in constructive criticism what fir and I would like to point out since your visit I have had all to saniflow systems inspected and serviced and this has made the toilets work correctly and silent. Plus I will change all the toilet brushes in each bedroom with new one. Plus The problem with smoke from the open fire we have found the problem was caused by brick displacement due to the storm couple of days earlier. which has now been replace and the smoke is now going up the chimney much to my relief as well.

I have to say I am very sorry that my temper chef did not arrive on time as instructed and can only once again apologies ( as for me taking the morning off this was my 1st day of for 2 weeks and again I have to say sorry please note all price inc. VAT at 20% and many b/b are not vat registered.
Seaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Stayed for 2 nights at the end of October 2013, room was satisfactory (although the toilet was extremely noisy due to the macerator), however on the Sunday the room was not cleaned at all, nothing was replenished nor beds made (apparently the cleaner has a day off on the Sunday and nobody was arranged to take over) despite the price being exactly the same on both nights (£75). On the Monday morning we came down to breakfast to find that the area was locked up and didn't open up until after 9am when we and another couple had to wait whilst the landlord first cleared the tables of glasses from the previous evening before getting ready for breakfast, which was then pretty chaotic and only average in quality. I can only assume that the landlord had overslept. Quite disappointing overall as we had high expectations when we first arrived.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
crown2011, Owner at The Crown Aldbourne, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
I sorry have to put my hand up a catalogue of errors will try to make sure this dose not happen again once again I am sorry and if you contact me I fill I can come to some arragment

your Alan
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This is a lovely welcoming and friendly pub with great beer and brilliant evening food but the accommodation really let it down. The toilet did not work, it was noisy and worked with an electric pump system that was intrusive. The manager initially fixed it but it then continued to be a problem overnight when we then had to deal with it ourselves.
At breakfast the food was lacking with uncooked tasteless tomatoe and extremely burnt toast. The table was sticky from the previous evening and the lack of attention to general cleanliness was a shame especially after the lovely meal the previous evening and the great service from the young barman.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JOYJ93
crown2011, Owner at The Crown Aldbourne, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
One can only apologies for the system In in the en-suit but as this as you said I tried to repair and this morning Monday I got a plumber it to fix the unit. As for the toast and tomato plus the stick table all I can do note you comment and make sure I improve and be more carful.

I always take in constructive comments and will always adjust and improve as quickly as possible

Hope you will come again if in the area and you will see that we have improved.

Once again that's for staying with us

Alan
Durham, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Returning to Wiltshire this Summer (2013) I was looking for a country pub and Inn, of which I heard there were many. I chose The Crown Aldbourne randomly, and don't regret it.

First of all, it is an independent pub with a totally local flavour! And that flavour takes many forms, from the locally brewed beer to the home cooking and, above all, the Publican or Patron. He is a charming man, helpful in every way to make the stay at his Inn a pleasant one.

While as a Pub, The Crown Aldbourne is excellent - with locals popping in and out both at night and in the morning - as an Inn the place is a bit tired. It is old and charming, but could use a facelift. My friend and I benefited from the fact that on this particular night we were the only guests, and the Publican proudly showed us to the 'best' guest room! That was certainly appreciated, but opens the question as to what the others might be like. However, we had a good night's sleep and can't complain! Country charm sometime comes at a price!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Daniel K
crown2011, Owner at The Crown Aldbourne, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for telling it as you see it and I happy for review which tell the truth. I hope we offer a god standard and are always looking to improve as only last week I change to dining room chair which make the place look light and airy. For your information all the room are of simpler standard.
In the spring I will be repainting the outside to bring the out wall up to standard.

Once again thank you for staying here and hope you will recommend your friends when in England to or try our beer and traditional English foods and hope to see you again

alan
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed here few weekends ago as attending a nearby wedding, what added to the weekend was the annual carnival held here combined with funfair and lots and lots of people. We didn't mind, we did have to park a short walk away but village is so small it was not really a problem. We also found out through the landlord that this is where 'Band Of Brothers' was stationed during the war before going to D-Day landings. He was happy to chat but kept a nice distance and respected us as guests I'd go here again as its a great area for the horse racing trainer stables, Stonehenge and beautiful countryside surrounding village. Good ales and good breakfast. Lovely room too decoration suited the building very well but retained its character and charm.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Martin P
crown2011, Owner at The Crown Aldbourne, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Thank you for your very kind remarks and we await your return.
Its always nice to receive review epically when they reflected our pub / inn and restaurant so well

once again thank you Alan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Amazing food and a comfortable bed in lovely room in a picturesque village. Can't rate the meals high enough, everything was delicious and plentiful. Staff were very friendly and the inn is smashing place to spend an afternoon or evening. Extensive selection of drinks too. Would highly recommend to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank AlexNoonan
crown2011, Owner at The Crown Aldbourne, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank you its is always nice to here that our effort is recognised and I will pass your kind comment of to my chef and staff

once again thanks Alan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldbourne
Chiseldon House
#1 of 1 in Ogbourne Saint George
Alexandra House
Alexandra House
#1 of 1 in Wroughton

Been to The Crown Aldbourne? Share your experiences!