“Poor Customer Service”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
New York
“Poor Customer Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2008

Room was very dated and there was a bad smell in the hall. Needs renovation for the amount of money you pay. We were promised certain things that were not provided and when we questoned them to get our money refunded for the extras, they said it was not included to begin with. Will not stay there again.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank LL411

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2008

I stayed at the Colony in January 2008 and everything was wonderful, from the staff at the desk to the waiters in the Polo restaurant. They have a great Motown band on Friday night where everyone is dancing and having a great time. The food is excellent in the Polo and so is the service. The steak was better than Morton's! i would definitely go again!

Stayed January 2008
S. FLA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2008

I have traveled to many of the capitols of the world and have experienced staff that bent over backward to make their guests feel welcomed. Isn't that the reason we enjoy a nice hotel, the service that makes us feel welcomed for the handfuls of money we exchange for being accommodated?

Well if you want to be treated rudely, shabbily and contemptuously then rush to the Colony Hotel on the Island of Palm Beach.

The public should be warned that this establishment could careless about treating their guests right and I can recommend staying here only if it would be a refuge of absolute last resort.

I can recommend the Breakers just 1/2 a mile away yes they know the finest points of taking care of their guests and they don't mind doing it.

Having looked at the other reviews it appears that POOR Service is their only standard.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The customer service is RUDE and offensive
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
7 Thank gourmet-guru
Petoskey, MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2008

Staff is not professional nor welcoming. The font desk "went through the motions" but nothing more. If you asked for anything (like where was the nearest place to buy toothpaste) they simply shrugged their shoulders.

Additionally, it is surprising that a hotel in the $500/night price range does not even deliver a newspaper to your room in the morning! Further the hotel is noisy, During my 3-day stay the room generally was quiet. However, on the final day of my stay, there were two people in the room next door. They were not loud, but I could hear everything they were saying.

On the good side, the hotel is adjacent to Worth Avenue shopping.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank Ithnan
greenwich, ct
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2007

While the location is great, the hotel has some serious staff issues - starting with the manager. At a cocktail party at the hotel a hotel staff member announced that a bracelet was found - another staff member quickly took his arm and asked him to stop the announcement. Several days later I realized that the bracelt in question was probably mine and called the hotel. I was put through to housekeeping after describing the event and was told that no bracelet was turned in. I asked to speak to the manager and was put through to the ass't manager's voice mail. She never returned my call. Several months (yes months)later I decided that I should try to speak to the manager to explain what happened - perhaps he could look into it. I didn't think I would ever see it again but felt he should at least know what happened. He was amazingly RUDE - he berated me on the phone and implied that I would "find" my bracelet at home - this happens he said... When I suggested he at least ck his records to find out which young man/woman made the announcement that night about the bracelet - he said "this conversation is over" - "I know my staff" and on and on. After reading several other reviews about the hotel - many, many talk about the shortcomings of the staff. Stay ELSEWHERE!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — not people friendly, should be in another business - very small rooms
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with friends
9 Thank Greenwich_CtLcp
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2007

I recently stayed here on business, and it's true. The hotel is quite a bit dated. The review about the wireless not working was is also true, at least for me. It's also true that there was no morning paper delivered to the room, a fact that surprised me but wasn't really a life-altering omission. It was a bit annoying that even in the lobby, there were no papers to read. You could BUY one if you wanted. Kinda tacky for such a supposedly swank hotel, when you know most hotels provide them for free. Another true fact: The staff is really awful. From the front desk to the people who take the room service order, every staff member was sub-par. The person who took my room service order was gruff and didn't even ask me how I wanted my burger done (medium rare, a request that even when offered was ignored, which I realized when I took a bite of the hockey puck delivered to me under a dome), and was actually annoyed that I asked for a glass of water along with the other things I had ordered. The room service table arrived with hairs on the cloth (yes, multiple hairs), and the cloth was a bit dirty. It's one of those things that doesn't make practical sense to complain about at the time, because by the time a new set up and burger arrives, one wonders what "gifts" have been left in the food, so you are forced to deal with it or starve. I would say that if the staff had been excellent, accommodating and helpful, I would be able to overlook such things as the wireless not working or the lack of the newest decor. Fact is, though, the staff stank.

I will mention that although I didn't spend any time there, the pool looked marvelous. I would have loved to have lounged around there for a while and maybe had a drink or snack poolside. I don't think there will be a next time, but if there is, that's where I'll be.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — The dated decor
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank Babola123
London, Canada
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,468 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2007

A good friend and I stayed at The Colony the weekend of May 19th after debating among it, The Chesterfield and The Brazilian Court. We wanted to be close to Worth Avenue and needed a two-room suite, so The Colony seemed to satisfy both criteria.

It's definitely a boutique hotel (small lobby, few staff, attractive but small pool, tiny elevators) in the best sense of the term. The hotel was very quiet while we were there, service was discreet and efficient, and the room was very comfortable.

Our "executive king suite" had two rooms separated by a solid door. Each room had its own complete bathroom with good quality toiletries (LOVED not having to share a bathroom!), bathrobes, and plasma screen televisions. The living room had a sofa that converted into a very comfortable bed. Before heading out to dinner at the Breakers that evening we requested it be made up, and when we returned it was done, complete with turn-down service and chocolates.

The hotel was a one minute walk from the shops on Worth Ave, and a three minute walk to the beach. I will definitely stay here again when I'm next in Palm Beach!

• Liked — Location, 1950's Glamour, Room
  • Disliked — Limited dining options
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
Bradley Park Hotel
Bradley Park Hotel
#9 of 10 in Palm Beach
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Downtown
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Down...
#9 of 34 in West Palm Beach
The Breakers
The Breakers
#2 of 10 in Palm Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,138 reviews

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!