“Charming and elegant”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Charming and elegant”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Things were a little rocky at check in when there was initial confusion over who would help us and we got a room overlooking an ugly rooftop although the hotel did not appear to be booked. But, things vastly improved from there.

The bell staff and concierge were very helpful and we eventually got a lovely room on the 5th floor. You might want to request one here if they're available since they've been remodeled and the results are breathtaking. The decor...drapes, bedspreads, etc. appear to be custom as I looked to find a lable so I could buy them myself but there were none!

The waitress and bar tenders also get high marks and the breakfast was very good. The silver coffee pot was a nice touch and I think the OJ was fresh squeezed. Wine list also excellent and fairly affordable.

I've seen complaints here about the service being spotty...but, this is a town where very few of the actual residents have to work for a living. I imagine it's difficult to find good people who will stay!

We would definitely stay here again and we're looking forward to next year!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donna S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I recently hosted a breakfast at Polo Steak & Seafood for a group of 8 people in honor of a dear friend who was getting married. The food was fine and they seated us in the Palm Court, which was very nice. Unfortunately, after we left I reviewed my bill and realized I was over charged by a little over $100. After bringing it to the attention of the restaurant manager that very same day, it is now five days later and I have yet to receive the credit. I have been given the run-around day after day, each day being promised the credit will be issued “today”. I am very disappointed not only in the way I have been treated but the lack of professionalism in what I thought was a top notch establishment. I will not be returning to Polo Steak & Seafood anytime in the near future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank 19Rock80
Germantown, TN
Reviewed 4 November 2013

excellent location, service warm and friendly, however we recently spent a 3 day weekend at the Colony and very loud construction was going on all day including Saturday. No apologies were made and there had been no disclosure of this at the time of booking. All other hotels were sold out so moving to a quieter hotel was not an option. Several other guests were bothered. The mattresses are "tired" and should be replaced, very uncomfortable with no support. Our bathroom had several broken but easily fixed issues. It just seems like this could be such a great hotel however there is a total lack of attention to detail. Don't know if I would stay here again but hope that the management steps it up a bit.

Room Tip: ask first about construction as we were on the 2nd floor and could hear the 5th floor construction v...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Karen K, Guest Relations Manager at Colony Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
I'm so sorry you were'nt told about the construction while making your reservation. It has been completed and we are opening a brand new floor complete with totally remodeled bathrooms with glassed in showers. All rooms are done by Carlton Varney, our designer, and are magnificent! Mattresses are being replaced with new pillow top ones that you will dream the night away in. Hopefully you will return soon and enjoy the true beauty and elegance of this Palm Beach Boutique Hotel.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Spent 4th of July family holiday here. Hotel location is fantastic. Walking distance to the beach and the high-end shopping on Worth Ave is right around the corner from the hotel. We experienced really good service in the hotel. The concierge/bellmen were quick with the valet parking and gave us towels, chairs and umbrellas for the beach.

The pool is quaint in size and 10-12 lounge chairs line the small deck area. We were there during off-season and pretty much had the pool to ourselves. If it were high-season I imagine the pool and deck area could fill up quickly.

Breakfasts were included with our rate. The Polo restaurant does english and american breakfasts well.

We had a room with two double beds. The rooms are small and the decor is outdated, but we had an ocean view. The walls in this old hotel are thin and we could easily hear normal conversation from the room next door. As long as your neighbors go to bed at a reasonable hour this is not really an issue.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BizTourist33
Reviewed 4 July 2013

My wife I and a couple of dear friends recently had dinner at the polo steakhouse where we have had several wonderful dinners in the past. but on this occassion which was a friday June 28 ,from the moment we sat down we felt rushed as if they could not wait for us to order eat and go.
When I told our server that we were in no rush he smirked and walked away.
He ( our server) went over to talk to the manager and both of them proceded to talk about us as if we where not even there , laughing and making several rude comments less than 10 feet from our table , the reason I know it was us they were refering to is that i understand french.
We have always enjoyed the colony but will not be returning.

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank NellyJ1960
Karen K, Guest Relations Manager at Colony Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
I am so sorry you had a bad experience at the Polo Restaurant. Fridays are our "Motown" dance party night (as you probably know) and we are usually very busy so I can't understand why you would have been rushed. The servers are there until after 11:00 or 12:00 PM most of the time. The music goes until 1:00 AM. Please come and join us again and I will be sure to take great care of you.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Ok property a bit aged, great location . Checked in saturday night ate at the bar had a great martini entertainment was fun good piano player. sadly I was informed there would be no dinner service sun through tuesday but carlos at the bar was extremly helpful with local recommendations.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Patrick H
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Went here for a girls' weekend. When I booked my hotel online, I was given a decent rate. Upon checkout, the rate was nearly $100 higher per night. I was told there was nothing the front desk staff could do and they wrote a message for the manager to call me the following day. I never heard back from the manager and even left 2 further messages and never heard anything back.

The rooms are small and definitely on the bathrooms seem a little old. However, everything was nice and clean.

The clientele is on the older side, at 40 myself, I felt like the youngest person there by several years.

The pool is tiny with only a few lounge chairs (10-12). And by 10:30 in the morning, they were all taken. The beach is a block away, but beautiful. Worth Avenue is around the corner with great shopping and restaurants.

The front desk staff were not particularly friendly nor were they very helpful. I needed to pick up a prescription at a nearby pharmacy and the front desk was unable to help me except to give me a number to a pharmacy no longer in business. The doormen were much more friendly and helpful. They were very helpful with recommendations. There is a house car and the doormen were very helpful arranging transportation for us.

All in all, this was a disappointing hotel with really poor front desk staff and we opted to leave after 2 nights, and moved to The Breakers.

Room Tip: The rooms are not quiet from the hallway. Make sure to ask for a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank SusanT29
Karen K, Guest Relations Manager at Colony Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
I'm sorry you were disappointed in your stay.It's true the rooms are small as is the pool area but the hotel was built in 1947 and retains the same ambience. At the Colony we pride ourselves in customer service so I was quite surprised by your account of the unfriendliness of the staff. Next time you visit ask for a corner room. (they're much larger)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Beach
Bradley Park Hotel
Bradley Park Hotel
#9 of 10 in Palm Beach
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Downtown
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Down...
#8 of 34 in West Palm Beach
The Breakers
The Breakers
#2 of 10 in Palm Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,161 reviews

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!