“Not so hot”
Review of Colony Hotel

Colony Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
Reviewed 16 August 2007

I recently stayed here on business, and it's true. The hotel is quite a bit dated. The review about the wireless not working was is also true, at least for me. It's also true that there was no morning paper delivered to the room, a fact that surprised me but wasn't really a life-altering omission. It was a bit annoying that even in the lobby, there were no papers to read. You could BUY one if you wanted. Kinda tacky for such a supposedly swank hotel, when you know most hotels provide them for free. Another true fact: The staff is really awful. From the front desk to the people who take the room service order, every staff member was sub-par. The person who took my room service order was gruff and didn't even ask me how I wanted my burger done (medium rare, a request that even when offered was ignored, which I realized when I took a bite of the hockey puck delivered to me under a dome), and was actually annoyed that I asked for a glass of water along with the other things I had ordered. The room service table arrived with hairs on the cloth (yes, multiple hairs), and the cloth was a bit dirty. It's one of those things that doesn't make practical sense to complain about at the time, because by the time a new set up and burger arrives, one wonders what "gifts" have been left in the food, so you are forced to deal with it or starve. I would say that if the staff had been excellent, accommodating and helpful, I would be able to overlook such things as the wireless not working or the lack of the newest decor. Fact is, though, the staff stank.

I will mention that although I didn't spend any time there, the pool looked marvelous. I would have loved to have lounged around there for a while and maybe had a drink or snack poolside. I don't think there will be a next time, but if there is, that's where I'll be.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Babola123

Reviewed 13 June 2007

A good friend and I stayed at The Colony the weekend of May 19th after debating among it, The Chesterfield and The Brazilian Court. We wanted to be close to Worth Avenue and needed a two-room suite, so The Colony seemed to satisfy both criteria.

It's definitely a boutique hotel (small lobby, few staff, attractive but small pool, tiny elevators) in the best sense of the term. The hotel was very quiet while we were there, service was discreet and efficient, and the room was very comfortable.

Our "executive king suite" had two rooms separated by a solid door. Each room had its own complete bathroom with good quality toiletries (LOVED not having to share a bathroom!), bathrobes, and plasma screen televisions. The living room had a sofa that converted into a very comfortable bed. Before heading out to dinner at the Breakers that evening we requested it be made up, and when we returned it was done, complete with turn-down service and chocolates.

The hotel was a one minute walk from the shops on Worth Ave, and a three minute walk to the beach. I will definitely stay here again when I'm next in Palm Beach!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
5  Thank Kodachrome_Dreams
Reviewed 27 April 2007

We enjoyed our one night stay at the hotel. Front desk was less than helpful when I tried to book one of the "special" rates - they tried to get me a room for $425. Eventually, I found and secured a $250 Internet American express rate for a two queen room (shared with my sister). This is a little pricy for a smallish room with an old bathroom - clean, but small and limited toiletries (one bar of soap??) - and no place to hang a wet towel.

ON THE OTHER HAND, we spent next to no time in the room. The setting, pool, lobby and restaurant were lovely. We went for my uncle's 80th birthday party poolside - they did a great job on the party and service was excellent. Continental breakfast buffet was lovely (I always give high marks for the availability of plain yogurt of all things - often not available at breakfast buffets).

Other points:
I didn't try the wireless access.
There was a nice flat panel TV (which we watched for about 5 minutes.
$3.50 for a small bottle of Evian (Didn't like that).

I would stay there again - particularly if I had an event in the area. Perhaps not for business travel.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank out_of_VA
Reviewed 27 March 2007

Classy boutique hotel, very posh colonial feel with a touch of safari, the owners are south african. food was amazing and pool area is outstanding. The villas are gorgeous and very well appointed. Would recommend to older clients who are after something different. All the rooms are different in style and are well looked after.

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank keelyjane
Reviewed 4 March 2007

I have stayed at excellent hotels all over the world and this hotel must be one of the worst I have stayed in. I had booked a 2 night stay.
When we arrived, we were kept waiting an hour before the room was ready ( we were told it would be ready shortly). When we then went to see the room, it was not the type of room we had requested and we were then told they had no such room available for us! We were given an alternative room
There was no sign of a bell boy to help with luggage.
All the food in the restaurant - fish and vegetables had been smothered with garlic.
At breakfast we had to ask three times for salt and pepper, sugar and tea spoons! The glass in which orange juice was served had a large chip in it.
On our second day, we were asked to leave the room we had been given as other guests wanted it! We then had to waste another hour of our short break packing up and unpacking again!
When we complained the hotel was totally unsympathetic!
I have written to the hotel since we returned and they have not given me the courtesy of a reply...
Avoid this hotel!!!

Stayed: February 2007
7  Thank Ros57
Reviewed 8 September 2006

The Good:

1. Walking distance to Worth Ave.
2. Bartenders
3. Lobby area
4. Pool

Not so good:
1. No newspaper delivered to room
2. No atm in lobby
3. Taxis take 15 minutes min to arrive to hotel.
4. Wireless internet does not work
5. No express check out.
6. very few restaraunts close by.

Stayed: August 2006
1  Thank conciergesyt
Reviewed 6 July 2006

A gal pal and I stayed at The Colony in April 2006 while in town for the ladies polo tournament finals at PBPCC. We flew in on a Thursday and stayed through Monday. We had a wonderful time, and largely due to the Colony stay.

From the moment we checked in, the service was exceptional. Our bags were promptly brought up to the two room mini suite, ice was delivered within moments of request, and the room was light, airy and immaculate. Beds appear new, lushly draped with a bevy of strikingly white pillows and fluffy down comforters. Closets are ample, with computer programmed safes. The bathrooms are standard, but good sized and well appointed. We requested an ironing board and iron which was also delivered immediately. A quick call to the front desk and our car was driven to the curb or a taxi called for our convenience.

We spent the first afternoon at poolside. The pool was immacuate and the other patrons were well heeled adults. The mood was peaceful and and quiet. This is not the place to come with splashing, screaming kids, thank you. The Bimini bar offers a full array of drinks and snacks while the Polo Lounge serves more upscale dishes. We tried them both. We had a quesadilla of some sort at the Bimini bar, moving to Oysters Rockefeller at a set table next to the pool. The oysters were the best either of us has ever had, period. We ordered another serving of the oysters and some shrimp, which were also amazing, to go with our chilled white wine.

On Saturday night, with my travel partner not feeling so well from all the partying the night before, we ordered dinner in the room at peak dining hour, 8pm. Not only did what we order arrive within twenty minutes, it was fabulous. We enjoyed a hearts of lettuce salad, prime rib, asparagus with hollandaise, a bottle of wine and a dessert to share. The food was prepared to perfection and the service was top drawer. By the morning my travel partner was right as rain and we carried on with our daily activities.

You should also know that we ordered room service every morning for continental breakfast and it too arrived immediately with a smile and perfect service. In addition, if on occassion housekeeping came by at an inconvenient time, they cheerfully agreed to come back later, and they did.

Along with other accolades, the hotel had no problem allowing my friend’s adult son stay the night a no extra charge in our suite’s pull out bed. Of course, we had requested this in advance and advised the staff that we would have two guests with us for the afternoon. He and his friend enjoyed use of the pool as well, with no dirty looks or additional fees. This has not always been the case in other upscale hotels, no matter how much you pay.

I have to say the only complaint we had is the attitude of the concierge, a middle aged woman with a non American accent. She was impatient and short with us when we asked for a flight confirmation the morning of our departure. Apparently she doesn’t like to have anyone stand at the counter while she works on the computer and told us she couldn’t do this if we were going to watch her, breathing down her neck! I have to say, we were stunned at the dichotomy of performance, given what we had experienced up to that point. Despite her behaviour, we would return and pay the high prices, as we feel we certainly got what we paid for.

3  Thank rustletpig
Hilton West Palm Beach
Hilton West Palm Beach
#3 of 34 in West Palm Beach
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Downtown
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Down...
#7 of 34 in West Palm Beach
The Breakers
The Breakers
#2 of 10 in Palm Beach
Four Seasons Resort, Palm Beach

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!