“Rude Manager...don't bother with this place” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Colony Hotel

Colony Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
greenwich, ct
“Rude Manager...don't bother with this place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2007

While the location is great, the hotel has some serious staff issues - starting with the manager. At a cocktail party at the hotel a hotel staff member announced that a bracelet was found - another staff member quickly took his arm and asked him to stop the announcement. Several days later I realized that the bracelt in question was probably mine and called the hotel. I was put through to housekeeping after describing the event and was told that no bracelet was turned in. I asked to speak to the manager and was put through to the ass't manager's voice mail. She never returned my call. Several months (yes months)later I decided that I should try to speak to the manager to explain what happened - perhaps he could look into it. I didn't think I would ever see it again but felt he should at least know what happened. He was amazingly RUDE - he berated me on the phone and implied that I would "find" my bracelet at home - this happens he said... When I suggested he at least ck his records to find out which young man/woman made the announcement that night about the bracelet - he said "this conversation is over" - "I know my staff" and on and on. After reading several other reviews about the hotel - many, many talk about the shortcomings of the staff. Stay ELSEWHERE!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — not people friendly, should be in another business - very small rooms
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with friends
9 Thank Greenwich_CtLcp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2007

I recently stayed here on business, and it's true. The hotel is quite a bit dated. The review about the wireless not working was is also true, at least for me. It's also true that there was no morning paper delivered to the room, a fact that surprised me but wasn't really a life-altering omission. It was a bit annoying that even in the lobby, there were no papers to read. You could BUY one if you wanted. Kinda tacky for such a supposedly swank hotel, when you know most hotels provide them for free. Another true fact: The staff is really awful. From the front desk to the people who take the room service order, every staff member was sub-par. The person who took my room service order was gruff and didn't even ask me how I wanted my burger done (medium rare, a request that even when offered was ignored, which I realized when I took a bite of the hockey puck delivered to me under a dome), and was actually annoyed that I asked for a glass of water along with the other things I had ordered. The room service table arrived with hairs on the cloth (yes, multiple hairs), and the cloth was a bit dirty. It's one of those things that doesn't make practical sense to complain about at the time, because by the time a new set up and burger arrives, one wonders what "gifts" have been left in the food, so you are forced to deal with it or starve. I would say that if the staff had been excellent, accommodating and helpful, I would be able to overlook such things as the wireless not working or the lack of the newest decor. Fact is, though, the staff stank.

I will mention that although I didn't spend any time there, the pool looked marvelous. I would have loved to have lounged around there for a while and maybe had a drink or snack poolside. I don't think there will be a next time, but if there is, that's where I'll be.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — The dated decor
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank Babola123
London, Canada
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,422 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2007

A good friend and I stayed at The Colony the weekend of May 19th after debating among it, The Chesterfield and The Brazilian Court. We wanted to be close to Worth Avenue and needed a two-room suite, so The Colony seemed to satisfy both criteria.

It's definitely a boutique hotel (small lobby, few staff, attractive but small pool, tiny elevators) in the best sense of the term. The hotel was very quiet while we were there, service was discreet and efficient, and the room was very comfortable.

Our "executive king suite" had two rooms separated by a solid door. Each room had its own complete bathroom with good quality toiletries (LOVED not having to share a bathroom!), bathrobes, and plasma screen televisions. The living room had a sofa that converted into a very comfortable bed. Before heading out to dinner at the Breakers that evening we requested it be made up, and when we returned it was done, complete with turn-down service and chocolates.

The hotel was a one minute walk from the shops on Worth Ave, and a three minute walk to the beach. I will definitely stay here again when I'm next in Palm Beach!

• Liked — Location, 1950's Glamour, Room
  • Disliked — Limited dining options
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
5 Thank Kodachrome_Dreams
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2007

We enjoyed our one night stay at the hotel. Front desk was less than helpful when I tried to book one of the "special" rates - they tried to get me a room for $425. Eventually, I found and secured a $250 Internet American express rate for a two queen room (shared with my sister). This is a little pricy for a smallish room with an old bathroom - clean, but small and limited toiletries (one bar of soap??) - and no place to hang a wet towel.

ON THE OTHER HAND, we spent next to no time in the room. The setting, pool, lobby and restaurant were lovely. We went for my uncle's 80th birthday party poolside - they did a great job on the party and service was excellent. Continental breakfast buffet was lovely (I always give high marks for the availability of plain yogurt of all things - often not available at breakfast buffets).

Other points:
I didn't try the wireless access.
There was a nice flat panel TV (which we watched for about 5 minutes.
$3.50 for a small bottle of Evian (Didn't like that).

I would stay there again - particularly if I had an event in the area. Perhaps not for business travel.

• Liked — lovely, historic building close to the beach and high end shopping
  • Disliked — the bathroom
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank out_of_VA
kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2007

Classy boutique hotel, very posh colonial feel with a touch of safari, the owners are south african. food was amazing and pool area is outstanding. The villas are gorgeous and very well appointed. Would recommend to older clients who are after something different. All the rooms are different in style and are well looked after.

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank keelyjane
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2007

I have stayed at excellent hotels all over the world and this hotel must be one of the worst I have stayed in. I had booked a 2 night stay.
When we arrived, we were kept waiting an hour before the room was ready ( we were told it would be ready shortly). When we then went to see the room, it was not the type of room we had requested and we were then told they had no such room available for us! We were given an alternative room
There was no sign of a bell boy to help with luggage.
All the food in the restaurant - fish and vegetables had been smothered with garlic.
At breakfast we had to ask three times for salt and pepper, sugar and tea spoons! The glass in which orange juice was served had a large chip in it.
On our second day, we were asked to leave the room we had been given as other guests wanted it! We then had to waste another hour of our short break packing up and unpacking again!
When we complained the hotel was totally unsympathetic!
I have written to the hotel since we returned and they have not given me the courtesy of a reply...
Avoid this hotel!!!

Stayed February 2007
6 Thank Ros57
Ft lauderdale
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2006

The Good:

1. Walking distance to Worth Ave.
2. Bartenders
3. Lobby area
4. Pool

Not so good:
1. No newspaper delivered to room
2. No atm in lobby
3. Taxis take 15 minutes min to arrive to hotel.
4. Wireless internet does not work
5. No express check out.
6. very few restaraunts close by.

Stayed August 2006
The Breakers
#2 of 10 in Palm Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,109 reviews
Four Seasons Resort, Palm Beach

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!