“OK But Not Palm Beach Standards”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Bradley Park Hotel

Bradley Park Hotel
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
Palm Beach, Florida
“OK But Not Palm Beach Standards”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I booked this hotel last December so we could spend a couple's night in Palm Beach and see the great fireworks provided by the Fourth on Flagler event that West Palm Beach sponsors every year. I did put in the comments that we were celebrating a 35th wedding anniversary and asked them for a nice room. Over the seven months from the time I booked until we arrived, I checked the price online for the one bedroom suite I reserved. Noting that the price remained the same, it seemed that there was plenty of vacancy.
A few days before our arrival I received an email reminder. I responded that I hoped they had a nice king room room picked out for us. They responded that all king rooms were already booked. I was very disappointed because we booked so far in advance. Since it was only for one night, I let that go.
A nice young man checked us in. He did not even mention the anniversary or anything about not being able to give us a king bed. There is a small parking lot next to the hotel. There was no charge for parking. All of the staff we encountered were very pleasant. There is a K cup coffee brewer in the lobby which is a nice touch. The outside of the building has scaffolding which has apparently been there for quite a long time. Previous reviews talked about the construction noise. Since we were there over a holiday, there was no construction, however, the balconies on all the floors were taped off.
The one bedroom suite had hardwood floors and typical "Palm Beach" furniture- overstuffed sofa and chair, lots of flower patterns and brocade. There is a full kitchen with a stove and full sized refrigerator. There is no dining room table, though. Two bar stools are at the kitchen counter, forcing you to eat looking at the sink and stove. I suggest that they put a small table in the living room area to alleviate this oversight.
The coffee table is actually a large rattan storage chest, which we pulled up to the couch and used as a make shift table for the dinners we brought back to eat before leaving for the fireworks.
The windows have wooden blinds that need some maintenance. Some of them would not open with the wand. The view from our room was to the west, which is probably one of the better ones. The queen sized bed was very average. I have back problems and I would not have lasted more than 1 night on that mattress.
What appeared to be a small closet in the living room is actually the door to a connecting room. I didn't even open that door for the first couple of hours because it really looked like a closet. When I did notice that there was a lock on the outside of it, I realized that it had to be more than a closet. Ours was open, meaning that from the time we checked in, the people next door had full access to our room. I think at one time it was a closet, since the corresponding connecting door was several feet away. That was a bit disconcerting.
I think the biggest disappointment was the bathroom. It is so small that a larger person would have difficulty using the commode. Everything in the room was tiny. There is no room for even a toilet paper holder- it is on the back of the door. If you forget to lock the door and your spouse opens the door, you will be injured. There is no vanity and no place to put any toiletries. A very strange medicine cabinet is mounted on the same wall as the door, up so high that I could barely reach the handle. You have to reach over the toilet and to the opposite wall if you were to try and use this. I truly had never seen anything like this. It seemed like everything in the bathroom was an afterthought.
I know that hotels are usually happy to supply extra towels, but I believe that each person should have two already in the room. Especially in Palm Beach, you expect more than one towel per person. The strangest thing, though in this mini bathroom was the mini soap. I am not sure if this was a theme or just a coincidence. I have seen soap bars three times larger in a Days Inn. I thought it was a joke actually. The bath and the hand soap were identical. It was a half oval that was 2 inches long by 1/2 inch wide by 1inch high. Yes- if you do the math, 1 square inch of soap. I had to take a picture. It is a good thing I travel with my own bath gel and face wash. I had to include this picture because it is really hard to believe.
There is no central air, but I knew that in advance. The old fashioned window air conditioners were adequate for the day, but it was overcast and intermittently rainy all day, keeping it cooler than usual in July. You do have to set them at the lowest setting to keep it comfortable.
The best part of the entire experience was the location. It is two blocks from a public beach access and one block from the Intracoastal Waterway. You can walk to dining and to the Lake Trail. It was a great choice for viewing the fireworks.
When we checked out the next morning, there was a woman in the small reception area that might have been the owner or the general manager. Neither she nor the young woman that checked me out even asked how my stay was. I thought was extremely odd.
Overall, it suited our purpose for one night.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JulieKJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I would've given a "good" rating but it wasn't an option. Recently I stayed at this 1920s historical property for two nights in order to attend a work-related conference at The Breakers, which is half a mile away (5-10 minutes walking distance). If you're looking to see The Breakers and all that fancy-schmancy Palm Beach has to offer, but you don't want to go broke doing it or worry about parking, then the Bradley Park Hotel is your best bet.

There were no problems checking in. I received email confirmations & reminders in advance. The staff person, Sylvia, was very friendly. She even called me on my cell phone to see what time I expected to arrive and to wish me a safe drive up from Miami. I arrived late at night and parked on the street because the hotel's free parking lot was full. There's no street parking available between 9 am-6 pm or something like that, so if you arrive at night then the next morning you have to be sure to wake up and move your car to the hotel's parking lot (immediately adjacent to the hotel, uncovered) at your earliest opportunity, lest you be towed or ticketed.

Yes, the elevator was small (size could fit three adults w/one piece of luggage each, can't imagine that it could fit anything or anyone else beyond that) and slow, but this isn't the type of place that has a lot of foot traffic.

My room was a junior suite located on the second floor. The hallway was old-looking and stuffy and it had a strange odor, musty & smelling of food. Luckily that issue was confined to the hallway. The room, on the other hand, was nice and cool due to an A/C unit in the window (no central air). It also had a slight, yet different, odor, but it wasn't foul. Definitely an odor. The room was a decent size, with a king-size bed, a sitting area and a coffee table, another little table under the windows, and a kitchen area complete with free coffee, coffee maker, a modern fridge, marble countertops. No view from the room whatsoever but who cares at $89/night. The bathroom had an old tub but it was clean and the water pressure & temps were fine. I liked how the room was decorated with a personal touch - new wood floors and tables, neat Oriental-themed tapestries on the silver green/blue walls, nice rugs and drapes. Cozy. Bed was very comfortable and I slept great. HD TV in the dresser (or was it flat screen?).

The hotel has no pool or amenities except a small gym, which I did not see. The hotel's main selling point (aside from the price) is its location. It is two blocks from the beach and directly across the street from a big Publix grocery store THAT OFFERS VALET SERVICE for shoppers. Only in Palm Beach will the grocery store offer valet parking. The hotel is also a block away from the main drag, complete with many designer consignment shops, restaurants and bars, a book store, and assorted clothing stores. Did I mention that it's the only reasonably priced hotel within close walking distance to The Breakers, which probably averages about $600/night? Why stay there if you can walk through and dine on this breathtakingly opulent property during the day (which you can do, except no access to the poolside café is allowed unless you are a guest or conference attendee)?

There's a gourmet store downstairs on the first floor - expensive, but I picked up some wraps, juice, and chocolate for lunch. I did not eat at the Italian restaurant that is also housed in the building.

The sore spot is that by accident I left my cell phone charger plugged into the wall. I remembered that I left it only a few hours after I left. I called to inquire and the staff guy said he would look into it and get back to me, but of course I never heard from anyone. My fault, I guess.

If you're in Palm Beach for an inexpensive "staycation," are visiting family or friends who live in the area, or you're attending an event at The Breakers but don't have enough bankroll to be the dictator of a small country, then the Bradley Park Hotel will be a suitable, inexpensive home away from home during your stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Sarah B
Derby
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night. The hotel was nice but the service was not great

When we checked-in the gentleman on reception made us feel like he was doing us a favor by checking us into the hotel. We felt like we were interrupting what ever he was doing on the computer. Not the kind of hospitality which America and Florida is famous for.

The hotel was under refurbishment, which was not mentioned when the reservation was made thorough booking.com and not on our confirmation. At 8am we were rudely awakened by what sounded like a jack-hammer outside our window. We could even not open the blinds as there were workers outside our window. We were hoping to wake up late and enjoy the morning in palm beach.

When we complained to reception all they said, it that the MINOR work was mentioned on bookings.com. They were not apologetic at all. We said to them that when we booked the hotel this was not shown otherwise we would have not booked at this hotel. All receptionist said "it is on bookings.com" They were very rude and we would not go back to the hotel. Very disappointed!

The rooms were nice, but areas of the rooms and bathroom were very worn and tired and the hotel furniture is old and needs updating.

The Hotel tag line is "the best kept secret in palm beach", there are many reasons why it should be kept a secret. Nice hotel, bad hospitality, stay away.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RollsRoyce1129

Travellers are raving about these Palm Beach hotels

Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the most ultimate suite. Top floor.. 3 bedroom....... 2 bath....it was just Ok for what it was worth.. Old. Not updated..furniture smelled stale....And there definitely was a presence! Haunted!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Gennie2
Rijswijk, The Netherlands
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed here only 1 night. The service was outstanding. Very Nice Guy . Rooms where lovely. Although it had a kitchen. The fridge was partly damaged and appliences where a bit dirty. We found 2 cockroaches (already dead) on the floor, which was nasty. But in the end our stay was good and I guess reasonably pricef for palm beach.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank aschuilenga
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Very nice builidng. Although the rooms are basic, it is a very good value for money and great location close to the beach. Parking was supposed to be paid but they offered for free (maybe because it was not high season, but very much appreciated anyway).

I missed a swimming-pool but with the beach so close, it was not a real issue.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed here for a family reunion weekend and would return in a heartbeat! The staff was friendly and the location was convenient. There was no real gym which was disappointing, however with all the walking trails in the area, one could make due. We liked having a mini kitchen in our room, but only really used the refrigerator. I'd recommend this hotel to those who are visiting others in the area since the hotel has very limited activities on the premises. It served our purpose.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Fairfield Inn & Suites Palm Beach
The Breakers
The Breakers
#2 of 10 in Palm Beach

Been to Bradley Park Hotel? Share your experiences!