“Could have been worse”

Palm Beach Oceanfront Inn
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
Reviewed 19 February 2014

It had its positive points and negative.

Positive: The pool was nice, sitting beside it was nice and watching the ocean was wonderful. The pool side bar was alright, the service was a little slow and the food wasn't too bad. The service as the office was friendly, the rooms were clean. The beach access was nice, good for walks and jogs on the beach.

Negatives: Police are driving by here or driving in at least twice a day. We didn't stay in the hotel much during the day, but still saw them around often on the property. I wanted to be on the bottom floor in case the top balcony went down. As well, the room was not the nicest. The light didn't work, only the bathroom lights. We had a hole in our bathroom door, as well as a broken phone and no hair dryer. When you tell the front desk, they don't seem to care.No tv guide, no menus for local restaurants or attractions. And please, bring your own blankets. We had these white, thin waffle blankets that were unattractive and uncomfortable.

If you stay here, remember the resort fee and a deposit. As well, plan your days so you are rarely here. It's best that way.

Room Tip: Rooms look nicer than suites!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Stephanie B

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Who knew Palm Beach County had this dirty little secret hidden in plain sight. On the up side, the pool area, though the railings and walls appear to be rotting, provides a nice place to sit oceanside and have a drink. It's also the only place we found in the area that allows dogs. Unfortunately the rooms are so bad not even my dog wanted to stay there. That pretty much sums it up... you know it's a dump when your normally happy and easy going shelter dog suddenly becomes irritable, sullen and tries to literally bolt. The room was so bad it was almost comical. Yea, 100 bucks a night is quite the deal, especially in a town like Palm Beach, but it was not worth it. Everything was dirty, falling apart, pitiful and depressing. It felt like a good place to check in if you want to get the clap just from sleeping on the crunchy, thin and questionably clean sheets.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor, pack your sleeping bag and sleep on the beach, you'll wake up feeling clean...
Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stratch
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Time Travel is Actually Possible!

Hidden in plain sight is a time portal that when found will instantly teleported you back to the 1950s. Yes it is true, hidden in Palm Beach FL with entry at 3550 South Ocean Blvd if you look hard you will probably see Rod Serling, cigarette in hand telling an unseen audience about the weary traveler about to enter the “Twilight Zone”.

The trick is to find it. As any traveler knows, 3550 is located between 3570 and 3580…. No? Humm on South Ocean Blvd. it is!! Once you make the fateful turn your will wonder why we ever left those wonderful years. What will you find? Well for starters, no worrying about which channel you will watch… there are only 3 (when the TV worked) and one is in Spanish. No fretting about those glaring hotel room lights... only one lamp worked. The Air-conditioning system gives you peace of mind with its wood block support that evidently keeps it from falling on the floor.
My fellow business travelers who never know what type of padding you will find on the mattress, will it be too fluffy?, too rough?…. no worries, while you exist in the 50s, those pads did not exist either. No, here the bed sheet (not fitted) is placed right on the 1950s mattress where you can inventory all the springs while you try to get to sleep. FYI (21st century lingo… I am trying to recover from my teleportation) the mattresses have never been cleaned… I guess they did not do that in the 50’s either.
Do not worry about the phone ringing with inane messages from local restaurants or the front desk telling you about your visit or special discount, no here the room does not have a phone!
However the room is a great place to study science … mold, fungus and other unidentifiable creatures seem to thrive in the 50’s.
Also not available in the 1950’s are those annoying snack displays or cookies from the oven in the lobby. They did not even have fresh pots of coffee to greet you when you get back from a hard day on the road. It is a real comfortable atmosphere!!!
“Frigidaire”, GE or Westinghouse evidently did not make a ‘hotel’ size model till later so you do not have to worry about buying food to stock up for your stay, a real money saver. Microwaves apparently were not available neither was bathroom caulking. I am happy to report that there were ice buckets in the 50’s… alas; they must not have gotten around to the ice machine till the later part of the decade.

Lots of surprises…. Not a lot of staff names to remember… I met three in one week.
No long lines for check-in…. I was only one of 5 rooms rented.
Lots of free exercise time trudging up the very tall stairs (no elevator)
The towels can double up for sand paper if you have the need to do some woodwork.
And the best for last… after all of the wonders of the 50’s have plagued you for your week of work and delight, they vault at light speed during check out to have the computer (yes they have one) spit you out a “resort fee” for towels, pool and beach that you probably never found in the first place.

Rest easy… the driveway from the resort does not have a toll…..and Palm Beach County apparently does not do public safety inspections or have building condemning officers.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank Papakoop
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We reserved this room based in part on the great photo of the pool area. What a mistake. As we pulled in, we immediately noticed the state of disrepair that this place was in. I asked to see the room prior to giving my credit card at check in. The room was nasty and in all sorts of stages of remodel or repair. The floors were hard and dirty. They were clean but had a residue on them from having old carpet torn off. I would not recommend staying here. We returned the key and drove the 90 minutes home instead of staying another night at the beach.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Nancy R
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed at the Oceanfront because the price is great and it is much more laid back than its neighbors. Unfortunately, the price wasn't worth it. The room was dirty and decrepit, more akin to a rundown youth hostel. The furnishings were literally coming apart. The tv remote didn't work, and there was no bulb in the lamp (no phone in the room, so I walked to the reception desk to get one). The tiles had dirt caked into every groove, and the bathroom had a lingering musty smell. A positive is that we did enjoy the bar cafe, and our server was very good. However, the condition of the room made us feel like we were being punished rather than having a short vacation.

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank KRISTANITZA
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This place is dirty, the walls are crumbling down, the floors are slippery. The pictures on their website are old and depict the place shortly after their last remodeling, which was probably 20 years ago. The windows don't lock and the doors are not secure. Not gonna see us again!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank AmericanEagleFL
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This motel does not look like any photos posted on their website or on Expedia. I booked 2 nights here. I didn't stay. I couldn't. I was given an old-fashioned key for the room. I entered and yes it was old. I locked the door behind me and locked the deadbolt. There were no curtains on the windows and the wooden blind was broken. (The windows were darkened on the outside.) I looked into the bathroom and there was urine in the toilet. The room had 2 beds, tile floor, and no cabinets. I immediately decided to not stay because I did not feel comfortable and I definitely did not feel safe. The door did not lock behind me. I had to use the key to lock the door. I just couldn't stay here. I wish now I would have taken photos but I just wanted to get out of there.

Room Tip: Read every review before deciding if it is for you.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
#1 of 1 in Ocean Ridge
Tideline Ocean Resort & Spa
Tideline Ocean Resort & Spa
#6 of 10 in Palm Beach

Been to Palm Beach Oceanfront Inn? Share your experiences!