“Absolutely blown away”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
Virginia Water, England, United Kingdom
“Absolutely blown away”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

With Four Seasons you expect to pay for, and get the best......THIS, is the best!
Service, quality, friendliness and attention to detail, with a relaxed family friendly feel, that is what The Four Seasons at West Palm Beach is all about.
NOTHING, but nothing is too much trouble, and we left after two separate weekly stays in July, with the feeling that we had made some lovely new friends at our now favourite hotel.
It's not cheap, but better to stay here for a few days than an alternative for a week......take my word for it!

Room Tip: They are all fabulous, most with great views, so go for size
4 Thank Jeremy S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Arabic first
NY, NY
Reviewed 31 July 2014

love the service and location....this time around we discovered that small dogs are allowed in the rooms....i was NOT happy to learn this...heard barking and yipping...i am allergic to animals and would have needed to know about the accommodations and policy about small dogs...they were allowed on the beach and at the restaurant...in the past 3 times of staying there i was not aware of this ever...i was actually turned off...my room had wet spots on the carpeting and when i questioned it i was told there was spot cleaning of the carpeting....omg!!!!! the yoga classes were great...the staff for the most part excellent...just this time around i was a bit put off...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank deepeeNY
Denmark
Reviewed 30 July 2014

First of all - I'd like to point out that my reviews do take several factors into consideration. Namely, Fair Expectations, based on location, based on price point and based on my experiences from similar resorts.

Before booking this hotel, I did do my due diligence via trip advisor, and I was surprised to see so many negative reviews on a Four Seasons property - but at the same time - there were also lots of glowing reviews.

I personally, think it comes down to expectations. My expectations for a Four Seasons property is high - very high. Mainly because the other FS properties I visit regularly, always give me a 5 star, no nonsense, experience. I am a very big fan of the brand and concept, and I do at occasion go out of my way, to make sure that my travel plans, include at least one FS property. This trip was a family vacation. We had been to Orlando with the kids, and after 2 weeks of Mickey Mouse, we decided that we needed 4 days of R&R. The new FS in Orlando was unfortunately not open yet, so we gave Palm Beach a shot. Reservations staff (Patty) was excellent and very cooperative. We booked two interconnecting sea-view rooms.

We arrived pretty late (around 8pm) and already at check-in I was getting worried. A lot of the staff seem very kind and hospitable but also very "green". Stuff like using my first name as my last name, asking me if I have ever been before (when the CRM system tells them i'm a regular) and not even having a staff member follow us to the room, seemed odd. Whatever, no big deal. Walking the maze like hallways got me a bit more worried. This hotel is old. Not like FS:FLO is old - but old - as in - 30 years since it was crisp. We find our rooms - and find out that the interconnect hallway and both rooms reek of paint. I mean, really strong to the extent that you can't be in the room. I call reception - ask them to send someone. A young receptionist arrives, a bit confused, and has clearly indicates that she can hardly stand being in the room. She starts out - well we are 100% booked - I just look at her and say "Manager". She scurries away and a few minutes later I am contacted by phone by someone else at reception. She starts out of the same tangent - and offers me to send housekeeping? I have no idea what house keeping is supposed to do, on a saturday evening in a room that smells like paint thinner. I say, I need a manager - she offers to send the housekeeping manager. Oddly enough another receptionist arrives instead, and offers to move us (which should have been the knee jerk reaction all along) - but alas - no rooms available - but they have *1* room, we can exchange for the "most smelly room" - we accept.

I insist that we go check out this "other room" that mysteriously materialized - so we walk over with the is receptionist. Its very close - so thats a plus. We enter the room, and its obviously not cleaned. I mean - as in tossed - completely. We both look - and she decides that its not occupied, but just needs a clean. OK - I say - get on with it. Meanwhile we are in the "less smelly room" with tired kids, getting rooms service. We manage getting everyone to bed around midnight. Great first impression. One of the staff, does acknowledge that we will of course not be paying for the first night (1 room, 1 night was deducted), and that all sorts of people will contact us the next day.

Next day we go enjoy our breakfast. Interesting. By far the poorest most disorganized breakfast I have ever had at a Four Seasons hotel. First of all, the breakfast venue has way too many seats for the tiny room. There is literally less than 1 meter between the people eating, seated - and the food stations. Al fresco dining is very nice though (uncommon in Florida), so we opt for this. Staff seems very young and enthusiastic albeit green. My main issue with breakfast is that the food stations of pre-cooked food seems to vary. One day, they didn't even have pancakes (can you even do that in the US?), when asked, the staff member said - "oh, they are over there" - I go look - Nope. Staff member looks confused - "Uh - should I go get the kitchen make some?" - Sure.... 20 minutes later.... Back and forth - just too much hassle to even eat a meal. Odd things such as community shared butter bowl (thats a Four Seasons first in my book), very small selection of bread and pastries, just made the whole dining experience seem awkward. Items we ask for during service would usually show up - sometimes not.

We spent most of the day enjoying the tiny pool and the excellent beach. We also made use of the house car - which worked really well. The two gentlemen running that, were certainly above and beyond. In the afternoon a disengaged person calls us, telling us that we can move rooms now, if we want. At this point, we are getting ready for dinner, and considering that we never heard back from any senior management staff, I decided to just stay put, with the replacement room we already got the day before.

Besides from not wanting to waste another half day on moving back and forth.
One should note one little detail about the interconnecting rooms - they are - like most other things in this hotel - very awkwardly designed. The space they take up, is the same as two standard rooms, but theres a hallway (look at attached picture). This means that one room is considerably smaller than the other - Considerably! And it also means that unlike normal hotel rooms the door opens directly into the sleeping area. There is no hallway or room divider. So if you have a interconnect room, and the staff walks in on you, they are literally directly by your bed. Very uncomfortable - and usually never done.

When staying at this hotel you should also note how close to the elevators your are. Especially on the lower floors. the first 2-3 rooms after the elevators, pointed towards the pool will have little or no view. The lower floor rooms, would for me be totally unacceptable. We were on 4th (which is the highest, which as OK).

Aside from the awkward room configuration, the rooms themselves looked like they had been recently renovated. The bathroom fittings and tiles were on par with other Four Seasons. I even think that the door handles are similar to those in FS:GVA's new top floor. The bathroom is however - small. The bathtub is like 1 meter long. Our 4 year old son could lay in it comfortably. The toilet room is so tight that you can hardly close the door. Its like 1.5m2 - max. Again - these are sea-view rooms. Not the lowest, cheapest category.

Food overall was mediocre. We had excellent wood fired pizzas at Jove, which were very nice. The room service food was often a bit messy. The outside pool/beach restaurant by the bar, was a disgrace. There was one employee, who did a really good job (Stuart), the rest seemed disinterested and to the extent where you would have to walk out, in order to get a check. The area between this eating venue and the bar was considerably less maintained than the other common areas, it was, in reality, dirty. The two doors into the kitchen and from the bar to the kitchen, were often left open, and the sight was not pretty. It also seemed like a meeting area for staff standing in groups of 3 or 4, chatting, having fun, while guests were wondering why it could take 30 minutes to make a burger, with like 6 guests in the restaurant.

Technically, there are issues as well. TV reception in both rooms was poor. Internet access (even using a meeting room or premium plan) yields you no more than 5-6mbit. The IT guys went above and beyond to help us, but both rooms on the 4th floor had horrible coverage - on a various range of devices and it was clearly identified as poor coverage. In our room we could get circa 0.1mbit and a latency of 200-500ms. That means its useless.

Luckily this place is in no way representative for the general quality of Four Seasons resorts and hotels. I can honestly say that the other reviewers, who were disappointed, can safly try another FS property and be happy with it. The reviewers who gave this 5/5 should try to go visit FS:FLO in order to see what true luxury really is.

11 Thank MorganJ
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 29 July 2014

After spending 5 days at the Four Seasons Palm Beach, we had no complaints. We commented on our way home that we never heard the word "no" the whole time we were there. Yoga classes on the lawn near the beach, the world's best coffee maker in the Living Room, house car rides to Worth Avenue / dinner, bike rides in the evening... room service, fresh flowers everywhere (EVERYWHERE!), WONDERFUL spa... and best of all the staff at the pool, the beach, the servers, the concierge... the staff truly makes this place wonderful. They go above and beyond to make this resort a truly wonderful experience. My only complaint is the only dinner option is Jove. It was good, but for us this was a beach vacation where we really wanted to relax and unwind... and for some that means having a casual dinner in comfortable, casual clothes. I understand many people prefer to dress up for a more formal dinner, and Jove does that perfectly. But aside from Jove the only other dinner option is room service (which was excellent). Wonderful experience, will definitely be back. I have stayed at Four Seasons in the past, and now I don't remember exactly WHY I loved those hotels so much, because the Four Seasons Palm Beach blows all the other resorts away!

2 Thank emp68
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The phrase don't judge a book by its cover certainly applies here. From the outside, it looks more like a Holiday Inn but once you get out of your car the feel you get is far from that of being at a Holiday Inn. From the calmness of the lobby to the view from our room, we would have traded places with anyone. I loved waking up each morning and walking to the beach with Pascale waiting to make fresh fruit juice. The service is outstanding regardless of where you are in the resort and don't miss out on getting a massage from Cindy.

I lost my anklet (a gift from my mother that I had for years) on my last day there and didn't realize until we were halfway home and called the hotel. The immediately patched me to Travis in the security department who told me he would take a look and call me back. By this time I had accepted that I would not see it again. Within an hour Travis called back and informed me that he found it and would be shipping it to me the next day. He just made my day and the trip.

There's no doubt, you really cannot put a price on service! Thanks Four Season's staff for being so wonderful!!

Room Tip: Get a room with full view of the ocean. Definitely worth it!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alicia G
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Wonderfully quiet hotel and location. If you love pampering by the pool…this is your place. The food and cocktails were perfect. Happy hour is a must and If there hadn't been so many excellent restaurants in the area, we would have just eaten at the hotel every meal. As much as my husband and I loved our time together without the kids (tweens) we wish they had come along. They would have really loved the pool, ocean and amenities as much was we did.

Room Tip: Ocean~pool view was nice and worth the extra money.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 797Hope
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stay at many FS properties and they have become our favorite vacation resorts. The Hualalai in Hawaii is incredible, Costa Rica excellent, loved Scottsdale and Maui!!!! However, we checked out of the Palm Beach after only one night into a planned 7 night stay. It is a nice clean hotel with a very nice beach... however, the service and property do not match the experience we have come to expect from a Four Seasons property.

9 Thank Tony C
Hilton West Palm Beach
#2 of 34 in West Palm Beach
Fairfield Inn & Suites Palm Beach
Boca Beach Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Four Seasons Resort, Palm Beach? Share your experiences!