“Nice experience”

The Breakers
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We had a very nice time in this old classic American hotel. The building is beautiful. The rooms are not big but still very comfortable. At night a very good band is playing music and ,if you want, you get a chance to dance too. The food is average, but nothing terrible. The only bad thing I have to say is about the chairs at the pool area. If you manage to get one the trouble is that as soon as you get up there are some old ladys, members of the club that shares the facilitys of the hotel, that like vultures steal the chairs pretending they had no idea about what had happen to the stuff left in top of them. Obviously often deep pockets don't mean classy behavior!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank EleUdinTrip

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Absolutely perfect. I am not one to gush very often - been in too many hotels. But The Breakers really is Tops - if money considerations can be left to the sticker shock at the end. We had a blowout family event, and got to experience the service in all places - really good.
The food in the Seafood Bar was outstanding; Echo great; The Italian Restaurant was much above expectations.
All in all - really nice.

Room Tip: Get AMEX Platinum card, and get an upgraded room ...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank TooFrequentTraveller
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We checked into the Breakers after spending time in Ft Lauderdale at a conference at the Harbor Marriott. Wished we would have stayed. I booked through the Fine Hotel program with AMEX which has been wonderful in the past. The clerk did get us into a room early, an ADA room with a resort view. Fine but the room had no place to lay out luggage, it was too small. Then the TV would not work--not good during March Madness. So we went to a sports bar to be able to watch our team while they figured it out. When we came back, tired from cheering, we wanted to nap but there were no natural down pillows; only head bouncers. So I called housekeeping and after about an hour and a half they sent up more head bouncing pillows. So I called them up and was told that the Breakers had no natural down pillows only synthetic. Well the Marriotts do! So I called AMEX and complained. Then they had the hotel manager call me and promise a pillow the next day.

In the morning after having to sleep with a rolled up towel, we tried to turn on the TV. No TV again. The man they sent told us that the room was on the list to be renovated and he would substitute the TV if it stopped working again. This was a major pain the whole stay. We had to unplug the TV and then reset it. Not so easy when it was pushed into the tiny corner of our tiny room. I also failed to mention that the bed was so close to the wall that there was not room for a rug to step out of bed onto.

Also we found out some of the back story at the Breakers because our bedroom door was right next to the custodial area and they were constantly going in and out of the eve space. We got to see the old wood beams and all the spare parts too for the hotel. Interesting but not the experience we preferred.

Needless to say, we won't be coming back to the Breakers. It is a museum of beautiful ceiling paintings in the common areas but thats it. And we had to call back a full day later to get our bill because the computer was down when we checked out to get our early flights.

We have traveled all over the world and stayed at many wonderful hotels, including Ritz Carlton properties (last week in NYC) and this doesn't compare to any of them. Just remember to bring your own pillow to this resort.

PS. I had to go to Bed Bath and Beyond on PGA Blvd to be able to sleep at the Breakers

Room Tip: Book through AMEX to get a good response when you have a complaint
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank C V
Reviewed 21 March 2012

The Breakers, Palm Beach has history, elegance, great service and fantastic location right by the Ocean and in a residential, quiet neighborhood (well, most of Palm Beach is quiet, elegant and snobby).
We were upgraded to a Club Room and our room had a direct view of the Atlantic and was spacious. The Club Level as with other properties, offers complimentary alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, small bites, breakfast and afternoon tea. There is also a dedicated, professional concierge. The best part is the large high floor balcony with lounge chairs to take in all this great food and drinks.
The Circle (main restaurant) also serves breakfast which we did not care so much for. Although, the service was great. Front desk and room staff do a fantastic job. Do try the Spa while there. It is pricey but the massages are fabulous. Both my husband and I enjoyed ours.
There are 4 or 5 outdoor pools so none get too busy. The small and private beach is very relaxing. I found shell-hunted there for a couple of hours and found some pretty shells.

Room Tip: If you can, splurge on an Ocean view room. Otherwise, park yourself by the beach. American Express P...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2012

If I could give this place more than 5 stars I would. Hands down the best hotel stay ever. Up until now The Brenners Park Hotel in Baden-Baden, Germany topped my list but no longer! I am a sucker for Grand Hotels and all that goes with it - grand public spaces, dressing the part, and impeccable service. The Breakers delivers and then some. You don't come here looking for a deal. You come here to be pampered and escape every day stress. The atmosphere is such. People look nice, the staff is dressed up! When we arrived (it had been a spur of the moment decision to come here and I did not have the appropriate wardrobe for my 9 and 11 year old boys) I made a beeline for the kids shop and bought them nice collared shirts. They were very affordable considering where I was. My kids are rambunctious little boys and they loved the place. Kids can come and go as they wish in the huge kid center (which also hosts a casual Italian restaurant) when they are 8 and older. There is a basketball court, arcade and best of all: movie theatre and FREE x-box games. They were in heaven!!! We checked in at 12 noon, were told they would call us as soon as the room is ready and headed for the pool. The beach is fantastic, waves and perfect water temperature. They have tubies that the kids can ride in the waves and we had a blast. At 1:20 the front desk called to tell me the room was ready, mind you this was spring break and the hotel had been fully booked the previous night and official check-in is at 4!!! We headed up to our room and my son said: "I think I died and went to heaven". Our room was an ocean front corner junior suite with a beautiful marble bathroom, tons of fluffy white towels, two walk in closets, big room with separate sitting area, fluffy king bed, TWO balconies and held in the most beautiful blue shades. I did NOT want to go back down to the pool but we did... The kids ended up in the kid center and I did some shopping and bought a great pair of shoes (Missoni) that I could not even find at Saks or Neiman. At night we dressed up(!) and headed for the Seafood Bar where we indulged in stone crabs and clams. Pricey yes, but the oysters I had (West Coast) were the best in a long long time!!! A good deal is to be found at the Cafe in the courtyard where I had two cupcakes that are honestly the best I have ever eaten... Later that night (10:30) I ended up ordering room service for my little spoiled boys, hotdog and ice cream and fruit - came within 20 minutes, the fastest ever at any hotel, and was affordable! We slept with the windows open listening to the waves of the Atlantic - HEAVEN. For breakfast we did the buffet at the Beach Club which was outstanding and they took such good care of my little guys. We only stayed one night, and we DID NOT want to leave. Planning next trip next month. Checkout is at 12:00, which is wonderful! We ended up staying at the beach till about 2 and then decided to leave with a heavy heart. I had misplaced my luggage tag and valet tag but the bellman produced my bags within 30 seconds and the car pulled up in 2 minutes - mind you, the front of the hotel was packed with ladies in hats heading for a wedding and I had already braced myself for a long wait for the valet, but in true Breakers fashion they delivered faster than any other hotel would. I LOVE THIS PLACE. If you are looking for a deal, the Breakers is not for you, if you are looking to escape reality and be pampered and have the experience of a lifetime - GO!!!

Room Tip: if you can afford it - get ocean front, listening to the waves at night and the balconies are worth...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I think that the Breakers is the best resort in America. The service, facilities, public spaces and magic of the place are like nothing else.

It is a personal favorite, and I believe it is worth the extra $$.

The grounds are always immaculate. Everything *works*

Hard to leave; eager to return. As always.

Go!

Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I love the Breakers. I've been several times in the summer and always have a great trip. I love to split my day between the beach and the meditation pool. And your whole experience will be that much better if you get a beach bungalow. Its a great place to cool down in, take a shower, relax in the shade, and grab a bite to eat. I also recommend snorkeling over the small man made reef. Its a ton of fun and we usually find lots of aquatic life.

And the spa is fantastic. I love to get a massage and facial. Just make sure you don't get too burned the day before :)

And the restaurants are very nice. My favorites are the Seafood Bar, The Tapestry Bar for an after dinner cocktail, The Flagler Steakhouse and the Circle Room's Sunday brunch. This is the best brunch ever and a must on any trip to the Breakers! The Circle Room is gorgeous and the food is delicious! It has everything you could want so make sure you have an empty stomach before you go.

It's a great escape and I leave feeling relaxed and pampered. Love The Breakers!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Hilton West Palm Beach
Hilton West Palm Beach
#3 of 34 in West Palm Beach
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Downtown
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Down...
#7 of 34 in West Palm Beach
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
#1 of 5 in Palm Beach Shores

Been to The Breakers? Share your experiences!