“Breathtaking at Christmas”

The Breakers
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Wow, the lobby is extremely grand. You can sit and people watch for hours.
It was decorated for Christmas when I was there. The Majestic Christmas tree is where everyone stops to take a picture. A couple actually got engaged right in from of us while standing in front of the tree. Very Romantic... A must visit. :)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SkysMommy4
Write a ReviewReviews (2,371)

Reviewed 15 May 2014

It's important to start out by saying we didn't "stay" here.
We did however film a rehearsal dinner (Beachclub Restaurant) and an all day wedding the following day. We saw some of the ocean view suites and worked closely with the staff. If you're considering doing a wedding here I highly recommend it. The ballroom is stunning as is the outdoor ocean front garden. The staff there was absolutely amazing before and during the wedding. They worked with us and the bridal party for whatever they needed months ahead of time and was one of the most professional wedding teams I've worked with. From the food to the rooms, security, the grounds, pools, beach club restaurant, I give it all 5 stars. It felt like one of the Hawaii weddings we've done and yet was right here close in Florida. I can also say that Vox Blue is the most amazing wedding band we've heard. Check with Katie with their wedding team and she'll take care of anything you could imagine.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My wife and I stayed 2 nights at this hotel and resort and what an amazing time it was. From the hundreds of hotels we have stayed in worldwide, this hotel probably has to be one of the best ever.

Okay, so this resort is not cheap and everything is top dollar but it is worth splashing out once in a while, isn't it?!

Unfortunately things did not get off to a good start with Tim on the front desk saying we were only booked into our deluxe resort view room for one night instead of two nights. Our pre-paid voucher we had from our UK travel agent clearly said two nights. Initially he said we would have to check out of our room the following morning and then check back in again to another room. We said this was unacceptable and the hotel did try and blame our UK travel agent for the error. This did mean about a 10 to 15 minute wait whilst Tim went to speak to his manager. On his return he said that we wouldn't have to check out and then in again the next morning and he gave us the room key. However, he didn't tell us we had been upgraded to a Deluxe Suite! Hopefully this was their form of compensation for the error! We have subsequently found out from our travel agent that there was a misunderstanding on the part of the hotel!

Our third floor suite near the front was amazing with king bed in bedroom, tv and mini bar, a large bathroom with a bath (and spa jets) shower cubicle and large mirror with a built in tv in it! There was also a living room and third tv. We had an end suite with resort view as well as partial ocean view in the distance. All the furnishings were of high quality. Turn down service was also available.

The architecture within the hotel is amazing, in particular the ceilings in the front lobby area and also in many of the large rooms/ballrooms. The grounds and building are huge and you certainly need the map given out to initially find your way around.

There is an 18 hole golf course either side of the main driveway and other holes across the street. There are at 4 outside pools and whirlpool spas and eating areas. There are plenty of sun loungers, chairs and umbrellas. The is pool service is for drinks only. Food is available by going into the Beach Club Bar, Surf Break or the Ocean Grill, which are all adjoining the pool areas.

We ate both nights in the Seafood bar and the food and service was very good. On both mornings we had our breakfast buffet in the Circle restaurant and the hotel gave us vouchers for these meals. These were excellent. Chris our server on the first morning was very attentive.

All the staff, but especially the servers, bellmen, valet were very friendly and professional.

This was a great hotel to finish off our Florida tour and one we would certainly return to on our future visits to Florida.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Me and my family went to the breakers for my graduation dinner. The place is undoubtedly georgeous and breathtaking, however, we went to the HMF restaurant and the food left nothing to desire. I have had better at the local restaurants than the food at this particular restaurant. The food was salty, salty, salty and bland. For the price and the portion they charge the food I think should be out of this world. I do not understand how people rated the food at this restaurant 5 star. I must say though that the flourless chocolate dessert was great. Also, the restroom by the restaurant are extremely small no form of privacy in there and you better not be no more than a size 12 maybe because you will not fit in the stales and you better not want to anything than pee because if you do, this is not the place to have that erge. Overall though the place is as I said magnificent. I would return but just for drinks. I don't know what their other restaurants are like but I don't think I want to take the chance to find out because they are more expensive than HMF.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kenken-34
Reviewed 14 May 2014

27 of my family members met at the Breakers this year for Christmas. The hotel was decorated beautifully with a huge Christmas tree in the lobby. The hotel was completely sold out so things were a bit hectic, but the staff was well trained and they were quite pleasant. The key to success for this trip was having a cabana. With so many family members in one place, we needed a meeting place and individual rooms really don't work for that purpose. The cabana worked out great. It was expensive, but it is the Breakers and everything there is expensive. On Christmas Eve, we walked to St. Edward's church for mass and then came back to the lobby where Santa Claus was visiting. We took pictures of the children with Santa. The hotel is located right on the beach and is walking distance from town. I did play tennis which was a short bus ride away but I walked back. It's really just across the street. There is also a biking trail around the town that starts at the Breakers. I walked it instead of biking it and it was pretty. My room had a tile floor and I did not like that at all. My sons' room was adjoining and that room had carpeting. For the price, I thought that the tile floor was not nice. Overall, the Breakers is a pretty hotel with old world charm. Even if you don't end up staying there, there are some very pretty shops and nice places to eat lunch--stop there just to check it out.

Room Tip: Do not pay extra to get an "ocean view" room. You have to stick your head out the window...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Looks beautiful but a little old fashioned/outdated. Stayed there several years. Sometimes we had very nice rooms or they upgraded us and sometimes we had very very small rooms. Service was sometimes excellent and sometimes horrible. Restaurants and breakfast room are good and good food. Sometimes wanted to invite friends joining lunch at the swimming pool and sometimes they had to pay an entrance fee and sometimes not!! Overall its OK!

Room Tip: Ocean Suite!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Visited for a business awards conference in April, left pretty disappointed. We had a 4th floor room that looked out to the other 4th floor rooms and over the courtyard. Could not see the beach. Room very small and very basic, nothing special except for the cool in-mirror TV in the bathroom. Walls are paper thin...we could hear our next door neighbor cough, talk on the phone, etc. Considered skipping a buffet style breakfast for room service until I noticed that 2 eggs are $25. I don't consider myself to be 'super cheap', but anything more than $10 for 2 eggs is a blantant rip-off. The Breakers definitely hire a good staff, who were sympathetic to my food allergy and provided excellent service all around. Two thumbs up for the literally hundreds of employees here. No chance I'll be back here, even if the company decides to pay for it again, just an overrated, old, expensive, noisy hotel.

Room Tip: I imagine one of the rooms that face the ocean would be a better view that what we had, overlooking...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Hilton West Palm Beach
#4 of 34 in West Palm Beach
Fairfield Inn & Suites Palm Beach
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Downtown
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Down...
#8 of 34 in West Palm Beach

Been to The Breakers? Share your experiences!