“The Lowest Rating that I ever gave to a hotel that I liked so much . . . .” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Breakers

The Breakers
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Moreland Hills, Ohio
“The Lowest Rating that I ever gave to a hotel that I liked so much . . . .”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2011

I go to Palm Beach every year for an industry conference. This year the conference was at The Breakers. I was quite excited about this. This hotel was a significant upgrade from the hotel that this conference normally used. I decided to bring my wife along for the trip.

We had a little trouble finding the main enterance to the hotel. The signs are small, and there are many enterences to the property. We did eventually get to the front door.

The hotel is beautiful. It could be the most beautiful hotel in the world. The 1920's lobby is just breathtaking. The facilities are maticulously kept. The place is simply stunning.

The checkin procedure was excellent. It seemed that most of the current guests were checking out and the new guests were checking in at the same time. The valet parking and the front deck were absolutely mobbed, yet the process went suprisingly smoothly. There were hotel attendents placed in strategic areas to keep things moving. I've never seen a check in done this well outside of Japan.

We recieved an upgrade to a partial ocean view room. It was small, but quite confortable. I really appreciated the view of the ocean. There were no ocean view rooms available when I made my reservations, and I was very glad to be upgraded.

The hotel staff was gracious, well trained and very friendly. I would like to give a special compliment to housekeeping. They did a spectacular job, and did it in a very unobtrusive manner. My wife wasn't feeling that good the first couple of days. She spent most of the time in our room. Yet they managed to make it up whenever the room was unoccupied.

The thing I did not like was the quality of the lotion and conditioner in the room. The soaps and shampoo were of good and very good quality respectively, but frankly the lotion and conditioner reminded me of the stuff provided at the Hampton Inn--greasy, not effective, and not pleasant smelling. This was the only thing that I considered as "bad" at the hotel.

Now why do I rate this hotel so low? One major reason--the prices here are utterly crazy. I have traveled a lot and I am not afraid to spend money at a good hotel. I am used to the generally higher prices and don't mind spending more for a quality meal or service. It is just that this hotel digs way too deep. One example is the only meal that paid for out of pocket at the hotel. My wife, my partner and I had lunch by the pool at one of the hotel resturants. None of us had any alcoholic drinks or dessert. We had a bowl of soup, a salad or a sandwich, and iced tea or lemonade. The bill? $160. $45 would have been fair. A ripoff price would have been $60. But $160? It was so nuts that we did not buy any other food or drink at the hotel, which is the first time that we have never bought anything else at a place that we have stayed any length of time. This is especially unusual since my wife and I stayed an extra two days after the conference ended. We ate quite a few meals because of the conference, and everything except for the main course at one of the dinners was very good (beef was a bit dry and overcooked for that one meal). The food was generally very good, but not worth anything near what they were going to charge.

There is a spa at the hotel. The hotel informed us multiple times that there was a 10% discount at the spa for people attending my conference. (They even left a voice mail message informing us of the discount.) With the crazy lunch price experience, I was going to be very careful on purchasing anything here. I looked in the folder in the guestroom for spa information. There was much detail on the treatments offered, but not one price. Hmmm. I called over to the spa to see what a manicure and pedicure would cost. They told me $99 plus 20% mandatory tip. I would normally expect to pay about $80 for that at a place like this. With my 10% discount, it wouldn't be out of line for a hotel like this. I was then informed that my discount was not applicable to this. It seems that this discount applied only to individually priced items. It would apply to a manicure or a pedicure but not both as a package. So basically they gave me a discount on nothing. It felt like a hook to bring me in, then rip me off.

As an aside, my wife and took our car and ended up at the Boca Raton Town Center at "Venetian Nails and Spa" and where she had a manicure and a pedicure with a foot massage for $44 including a 20% tip. The job they did was top rate, at it was one of the best jobs she has ever gotten. My wife was a runway model for years, so I've have much more indirect experience with these things then most guys. The lady who did her nails was named Lotus. 4 and 5 star hotels usually charge double the local going rate for these services, so my $80 expected price was rational.

Now if this hotel is keeping the prices way high to keep the "riffraff" out, then they are succeeding. If they want to maximize their guests enjoyment of their facilities and make more money by selling more services, then they need to rationalize what they are charging for food and services.

It is a real pity because I would like to go back and really enjoy the place, but I cannot enjoy a place where I feel that I am getting ripped off.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank jmk5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Lausanne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2010

We discovered the Breakers a year ago and completely fell in love with it. So when we decided to go back to Florida this year on vacation, first thing we did we booked the Breakers. We have 3 young children so we booked a regular suite and upon arrival they upgraded us to a larger suite and everyday they would come in the evening to open the sofa for kids and set the pack&play bed. Toys were ready in the room for kids to play at the beach. The breakfast at the Circle is just amazing and at night we would go to their Italian restaurant which is perfect with kids who can play in their kid's room where we can see them through the window or my kids would rather play at the coins machine room where they were given coins to play. Everything is just perfect there and we are used to travel in Europe, Middle East, Australia, but the Breakers is definitely the best.
If we decide to go back to Florida on our next vacation we definitely will return to the Breakers.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank grillonLausanne
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2010

This is a 5 star hotel with every ammenity one could ask for! Each guest is treated like royalty--and it's common to see a variety celebrities enjoying the first class service. This would be my "home away from home" if I had that choice!

Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Oak Island, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2010

Was only there one night before we flew to Alaska for a cruise but I must say it was a gorgeous room. Absolute elegance. A perfect hotel for romance and relaxation!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Fort Smith, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2010

Some number of years ago, my husband and I stayed at the Breakers. While in Palm Beach with a girlfirend, we decided to have breakfast at the Circle restaurant at the Breaker since I had not been there in quite awhile. Went online to check for details, etc. Read all there. We then went to the Breakers on a Monday to have breakfast (we were staying at her condo). The staff informed us that "the public" cannot eat in this restaurant, or apparently, any other. I told her we were dissapointed that the web site did not mention that since we had been careful to check. She was quite rude with her tone and attitude and repeated several times that "the public" could not use the restaurant. She finally stated that "just for today" "the public" could eat in the restaurant near the pool or we could look around the grounds. I hardly came to look around the grounds! My complaint is that they do not make it clear that restaurants are open only to guests and that their attitude of snobishness was unbelievable! Someone needs to update their web info and tell them it would be far better business to refer to people as guests and non-guests rather than 'the public" spoken with great disdain. I can well afford to stay there again but they can be sure I won't. Behavior like that belies a corporate thinking I don't like.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

The Breakers is one of my family's top 5 favorite hotels. I've been here several times, sometimes for business and sometimes for pleasure. Our six year old LOVES this place as he is treated like a king. You will pay through the nose to stay here but you never have to leave (and if you do want a meal off site they have a great shuttle to several great places).

Italian place is very kid friendly and has a "toy room" and video center attached to the restaurant so you can watch your kids playing through the window while enjoying a little Mom & Dad time over a glass of wine. Best of both worlds - a bit of relaxation but kids are just 30 feet away and can jump back to the table when dinner/dessert is served.

Pool is fantastic and great food/service at the poolside hotels. My wife loves this place so if you are looking to get a quick 4-5 days off line to tell your family you love them you can't go wrong with this place. Again, it'll cost you though!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

First, let me say that I work in the hospitality industry and am not easily impressed with other hotels and resorts. Boy were my expectations exceeded at The Breakers! I love, love, love this place! It is clean, beautiful and the service is unlike anything I have experienced before. Can't say one bad thing about the resort or the staff! It was simply amazing from the moment we arrived until we checked-out!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Bradley Park Hotel
Bradley Park Hotel
#9 of 10 in Palm Beach
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Downtown
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Down...
#8 of 34 in West Palm Beach

Been to The Breakers? Share your experiences!