“Dodge the Lodge!”

The Lodge at Hammock Beach
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Palm Coast
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Where do I begin...#1 Had ressies for a King...arrived at 4:00pm to find they did not have a King room available, just a queen...and the last room available in the 15 room LODGE. Needless to say...it was only 4:00pm and EVERYONE had already checked in...really? So they gave away the KING room to someone who really must have complained about this room...and I can understand why.
The tile floors were filthy, sand on the carpet, dead bug on the towels, light fixture unplugged and in disrepair on the bedstand, the floor lamp was broken and listing, paint peeling on the furniture,mold and dirt on the balcony chairs...and if that wasn't enough...left over razor in the shower with old soap...just gross.
Called front desk, explained the situation, said they did not have any other rooms for the night, that they would try to move us tomorrow. ummm...NOOO...they offered to clean the room, change the sheets, mop the floor .... It is now 5:30pm...we haven't unpacked, been dealing with front desk, had 6:00pm dinner reservations which we we forced to change. NOW this very embarrassed housekeeper knocks on the door and says she 'cleaned' the room earlier, and is soo sorry and went and cleaned it again...extremely embarrassed now as the towel she mopped the floor with was black from dirt, and smears on the windows, and bugs on the towels and the razor in the bathroom shower...etc...The lights in the room did not work, and after being there, we also realized the air conditioner didn't work either!. So I called the front desk...EXPLAINED everything again...and she said the Manager would call us. It is about 6:30 now and the Manager says she can move us to a main building room. We said fine and had to hike to the car, drive up the road, and start the process all over again. We are iPerfer members as well, and never received the wine, mentioned that as well, and she said she'd have it brought to the new room.
Ahh the new room...Perfect by comparison, only fault was it was over the restaurant in the main building and had to endure some load music till about 10ish...but that was ok! This room was 5 star. Beautiful, just what you would expect. Couldn't wait any longer for the wine to appear as it was almost 7:30pm and we had to head out for dinner...met the porter in the hall carrying in hand 1 bottle of wine, no glasses, no bucket...geez... grabbed it, brought it back to the room, and ran to the restaurant for dinner. So after 4 hours we finally had a King room and it was lovely. So dodge the lodge, the dunes is better,
ADDED NOTE...the Lodge has NO CELL SERVICE OR WI-Fi don't know why, management doesn't either, they however are aware of it, but they don't tell you. The main building is fine for both.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
13  Thank happy t

Reviewed 14 May 2013

The lodge at hammock beach
Pros
- literally on the beach. We had corner room in front of building which is wonderful
- room service quick
- only 15 rooms so no waiting for elevator and crowds like main building
- easy walk to all pools - the lodge pool is not heated, has own restrooms and towels. quiet of all pools
-Main pools great- kid only pool (heated) with slide , lazy river pool, pool with beach sand, adult only pool
-room has small fridge

Cons-
- no front desk- have to check in at main building and drive around
- light- the rooms have shutters that close not curtains so you may wake with sun
- no bathtub just shower- so if with tot may be issue
- lodge pool- cold, no food or drink service, needs to be better maintained like the main pools
- noise- because only 2 floors you may hear restuarant, golf pro shop noise
- Ocean- does have rocks in water that you dont see

Overall great view and easy location to get to beach and all pools.
Very simple hotel room. Newer building

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank travelwtot
Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here with our toddler for one night on our way to Orlando from South Carolina. The hotel itself is lovely. The pool facilities are fantastic - especially at the Hammock Beach hotel next door, which is just perfect for kids and families and has an indoor pool that is open until 11pm. The pool at the lodge is nice and quiet, although a little small. I am pleased we stayed at the lodge as there was a wedding at the main hotel the weekend we were there and it was busy and quite noisy. The beach was lovely, although we didn't use it much during our stay, our son just had a little paddle in the waves. The room was comfortable, quiet and had a nice powerful shower and balcony with a view of the golf course and the sea. The downside - there are a few points to mention - the hotel is hard to find, very hard to find! We had 2 sat navs which both took us to a different location and it was only through trial and error that we found it! When we did find it after a long drive, we arrived at the car park for the lodge and there was nobody at the concierge desk, so we unloaded our luggage, took our dozing toddler out of his car seat and arrived inside the hotel and there was absolutely nobody about. There were no signs to say the desk was closed or who to contact and we waited, we went upstairs/downstairs and eventually used the phone behind the concierge desk to call the main hotel. It was at this point that I was told we couldn't check in at the lodge, so we had to load our luggage back in the car, along with our toddler and drive back to the main hotel to check in before driving back again! Just what we needed after a long journey. We should have been told when we booked, at the very least they should have a sign up at the concierge desk outside so that guests don't bother unloading their car. Other than the restaurant manager, the other staff at the hotel we encountered were not particularly friendly or helpful and didn't even smile or acknowledge us if they walked past us. I am prepared to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt as it is such a nice location and very comfortable, so we would stay here again if we could get a good deal Monday-Friday rather than on a busy weekend.

• Stayed: April 2013
7  Thank ELK19772012
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My husband and I took our Spring Break trip in 2012 to the beautiful Hammock Beach Resort in Palm Coast, Florida. My husband and I have been to Florida many times before, but never to the Palm Coast. We wanted to stay in the United States for Spring Break and have a place that was a little more adult. I researched quite a bit of hotels before deciding on the The Lodge at the Hammock Beach resort based on reviews on this website.

Room: Our room had a balcony overlooking the ocean, which I am always a fan of. The Lodge only has a few rooms and is located right off the beach. There was a large closet, mini fridge, and the bathroom is gorgeous. I was satisfied with what the room had to offer because we were not really going to hang out in there all day when the Florida sun is shining.

Pools: There is a pool right next to the Lodge complete with a walk in end and a separate little wading pool. There were plenty of loungers and some sun umbrellas around the pools that we were able to use for sunbathing, relaxing and reading. The indoor pool area is gorgeous and has large windows looking outside, but we didn't use it during our stay. Not only that, there is a huge pool/water complex with multiple levels and pools. We sat around a pool that has sand all around it. At the pool complex you can order drinks and food and have it delivered right to your seat...talk about luxury! There are towels for you to use, but the Lodge pool doesn't stay as stocked with towels as the larger pool complex does. From the Lodge pool there is a boardwalk to get to the beach as well.

Food: When researching Hammock Beach Resort, my husband and I wanted a place that would have multiple options for eating, and Hammock Beach does offer that. We were excited about the prospect of having an outdoor bar for easy access to drinks and food when lounging outside. We ate at the Atlantic Grille every morning for breakfast (in fact, when we booked our trip we had a package that included breakfast and was quite a deal) and had dinner there one night. They have a really great buffet for breakfast, too. My husband's favorite meal was from there. My favorite dinner was at Delfino's Restaurant. I had the most indulgent deep fried lobster that I still dream about, no joking. We also ate at the Loggerhead Lounge two nights where they offered different buffets.

Spa: I had my first massage while at the resort. My husband booked a couples massage for us to enjoy. I had the swedish massage and he had the deep tissue massage. The spa at the resort is really amazing. So beautiful. In the locker room there are private showers, a steam room and a sauna. Not only that if you take a shower there, they have hairdryers and shampoos in there.

There was one drawback to our stay, and it was actually when we first arrived. We did come a little before check in time, and were told that our room would be ready by 4:00. We called the front desk at 4:00 to see if our room was ready yet, and it wasn't and that they would call us when it was ready. By five o'clock we hadn't heard anything, so we called the front desk again and they said the room had been ready for a while. Needless to say, my husband and I were a little angry about this oversight. He looked right at me, and said, we definitely need to put that in our review on TripAdvisor. So, just so you know we were not happy about that at all after a LONG day of traveling having that inconvenience. You know how you just want to unpack and change out of your traveling clothes so the vacation can begin? With that one inconvenience being stated, overall, we really enjoyed our time at The Lodge and at the Hammock Beach Resort. We really felt like royalty here and watched the sunrise from our balcony, took a walk on the beach, ate and drank whatever we wanted (I recommend the Top Shelf Margarita), and really did relax and connect.

Room Tip: Go for the Lodge at Hammock Beach Resort, it is a beautiful little hotel tucked in the big resort...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LuvMyMorkie
Reviewed 21 January 2012

The Lodge is actually part of the larger Hammock Beach Resort - some reviews will show there. We were extremely pleased with our stay - The Lodge is away from busier part of resort and is closer to beach with golf shop on ground floor, a restaurant, pool and right at the boardwalk to beach. There is convenient parking and rooms have balcony so if there is event tent set up pool side you may want to ask for golf side room. Very pleased with stay.

Room Tip: choose golf side if there is event tent set up
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank priceless_xx
Reviewed 28 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Lodge three nights the weekend of October 7th, 2011. It was unfortunate that a bad storm came through, with high winds and torrential rain. However, we really enjoyed it despite the weather and had a fantastic time!

I research everything carefully before booking a vacation, and I read every review on Trip Advisor for Hammock Beach. I was a little apprehensive when I read some of the negative reviews, but truly, you have to take some of this with a grain of salt. We are picky people, and we thought it was phenomenal.

We loved our room at the Lodge. The rooms are simply decorated but fitting for the space. The bathrooms are very nice with a huge shower. My only thought would be to put a solid door on the bathroom. It is in the style of a shutter, so it can limit privacy somewhat, though it can be worked around and is not a huge issue. There is a little window that can be opened to let fresh air in, in addition to a porch and view of the water. You are so close to the beach, especially at high tide, that it looks like you are almost flying over the water! It is the closest I've ever been to the water ocean front. I see a recent review saying that they had a bad experience staying at the Lodge. We found the Lodge from the main hotel without a problem. When you check in, they put your room keys in a packet that opens to a map, which is not hard to read, and the Lodge is not far from the main hotel at all. We parked and took our own things in, though they offered to have a staff meet us over there to help us. It is obvious where the front door is and there are obvious elevators and stairs leading up to the rooms, which you can see are above the main floor as you approach the hotel. We had no problem at all finding our room. There are two doors leading in and out of the Lodge- the front door and a door in the bar area. I can't see that this is a problem at all. You can use either door to easily get to the rest of the resort. Staying at the Lodge feels like your own private, quiet hotel and we absolutely loved it. I did request a corner room four months before we arrived. I emailed and called multiple times, but we did not get a corner room. It was still wonderful, but do not expect to be able to request a particular room.

I saw multiple reviews here about negative experiences with customer service. I have to say that everyone was extremely nice!! I am sorry to hear that some people did not get good customer service, but we had no issues whatsoever. Staff stopped to chat with us frequently, and we were asked all the time by passing staff if we were doing ok and and if we needed any help. The manager on duty while we were there was incredible, and he took a great deal of personal time with us when he found out we had just arrived to show us around and tell us about the resort. This is a very large resort with an incredibly large staff, so it would make sense if not every person is wonderful. It did take a minute or two to figure out that concierge is where you also check in, but really, it's not that big of an issue. They were very nice, and unlike other experiences in the reviews, they gave us great directions and offered lots of assistance, which we declined.

The food in the restaurants was fabulous! I was so impressed and not expecting it to be the caliber it was. Yes, you do pay high prices for the food. It depends on your motivation for going. We wanted a weekend getaway where we did not have to leave the resort or prepare food for ourselves. Therefore, we wanted multiple dining options, so we were ok to pay higher prices to have that experience. I would have been upset to pay more and have lower quality food, but the food was top notch. It is very hard to find a resort in the States that has multiple places to eat without having to leave a resort, so I was fine to pay the prices. The sushi bar was absolutely incredible, so worth the money in my opinion. We also ate at Atlantic Grille several times (fantastic!!), Loggerhead, and we went to the Cigar Bar. The two of us spent about as much on the food and a few drinks as we did on the price of the room for three nights. We did bring alcohol and snacks with us, which I recommend.

The grounds are absolutely beautiful. I saw a past review that the resort was not well maintained and that the pools were dirty. This was not the case at all when we were there. We didn't even get to see it in its best state because of the storm (debris everywhere from the winds, everything soaked, umbrellas down, etc) and what we experienced, we loved. The beach was wonderful, though with the weather being bad, they did not put the chairs and umbrellas out. The pools were really fantastic, some of the best I've experienced. We spent hours in the huge hot tub, despite the rain.

The taxes, fees, etc. I can't tell you how nice it was to stay somewhere and not have to worry about tipping. This was the first time we've experienced this. The downside is that you do have to pay resort fees, but I didn't mind because we loved the experience of not having to carry cash to tip. We love to travel, and we tend to stay at expensive places, so we are used to extra fees added to bills for a resort experience. If you are not used to this type of thing, I can see that you would be upset. Just know going into it that you will pay fees here, but once there, you are free of tipping, and that is fabulous. When you book a room on the website, they will show you how much the fees are before you confirm.

If you are trying to decide whether to stay here or not, know that it is not going to be a super cheap beach vacation. If you go in knowing you are going to spend a little more but get a lot out of your experience, then you will have a wonderful time. Do your research and book at a time that you will have the best chance to have a good experience in regards to weather, bugs, crowds, etc. If you want a higher end beach resort vacation with lots of options, then stay at Hammock Beach. We will definitely be going back!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Liz P
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We love The Lodge. It's a little hard to get a room. You've got to book early. If you stay on this property try to get a "beach front" room. So close you feel like you can jump into the water. The rooms are basically hotel rooms. Not real fancy but still nice and clean. The pool is average. What's cool is you can go over to the Ginn pool and play in the lazy river and go down the slide. Kids LOVE it. The food at The Lodge is pretty good. You can also walk over to the Ginn towers for food. It's a beautiful beach. We go every year and totally love it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family