“It just keeps getting better!”

Hammock Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Palm Coast
Fort Myers, FL
“It just keeps getting better!”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Spent the week of the Fourth of July and it was another outstanding experience. They absolutely do it all to make sure everything is perfect. Had an issue with the cable and they were
right on it. We love this place!

Also, Carol at the spa gave an amazing massage....and I am a spa junkie! She is GREAT!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank scanzilla
, Manager at Hammock Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
We are so happy you chose Hammock Beach as your July 4th vacation destination! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Nafplio, Greece
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Beach on the atlantic ocean, withe and fine sand!!

• Stayed August 2011
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We had a very enjoyable family vacation last week at the Hammock Beach Resort. The complex has impressive facilities that include 2 Championship caliber golf courses, 6 restaurants, 7 pools, 8 tennis courts, spa,gym, and access to a nice beach only a short walk from our villa. The sushi restaurant was excellent. The highlight of our trip was being able to play the Conservatory golf course. The is a Tom Watson designed gem that get's very little play. The Ocean course designed by Jack Nicklaus is also a great track but is more crowded and not as nice as the Conservatory course.
We stayed in a 3 bedroom villa in the Towers which offered attractive rates and convenient garage parking. We will be going back to Hammock Beach Resort again this fall.

2 Thank Dennis M
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 June 2012

The view and overall appearance is nice. The pools and work-out room were above average. However, the overall experience is massively damaged by the staff and the beyond terrible internet. The security is barely existent. On multiple occasions my son and his girlfriend were bullied and harassed by other young guests and staff just watched as it happened. The resorts hot tubs were vandalized by teens causing soap suds to overflow everywhere. The hot tubs remained in this state for more than an hour before someone showed up to lock them off. The tile floors around that area remained extremely slippery with soap suds for a day after the fact. Nothing was done and it is a wonder no one was seriously injured. On multiple occasions we would step in an elevator to find all of the buttons pressed. While this is a minor complaint, it is a sign of failure on security's ability to maintain a noticeable presence. The provided internet is beyond antiquated. It is fine for checking your email or other short activities. That said, It CAN NOT handle any modern applications. Streaming Netflix and Hulu with the family is a nightmare, as is any form of online gaming. The food was above average, as were the prices. . Everything closes at 10...which is absolutely ridiculous. The adult only pool was swarming with splashing and loud children. I don't care to write any more, because it is a waste of time. Honestly, there are MUCH better places to go in Florida on vacation and I highly suggest looking elsewhere until they fix their staffing and technology issues.

Room Tip: Research the rooms you rent, as they are all different.
3 Thank thedude_12
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This is the perfect place to go for a great family vacation or family reunion. We came last year for my mom's 65th birthday and returned this year with my in-laws and other family members. The pool complex is fantastic - 3 story water slide, lazy river, adult pool, giant hot tub outdoors, baby pool with sand/beach for little ones. The food on property is very good - there are four or so restaurants to choose from. Rooms are nice, very spacious, have kitchens and balconies with great views. Condos that include maid service and room service dining get high marks from me. I'm on vacation, I don't want to make all the beds and wash the towels! The beach is lovely, private, free chairs and umbrellas and eager staff to take your drink or food order. Beautiful golf courses and large open spaces for kids to run, play, fly kites. Very family oriented. I love this place and will continue visiting.

Room Tip: I don't know if you can request an ocean view but the "ocean and pool view" is the bes...
3 Thank ZenMama11
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 24 June 2012

My wife and me have enjoyed coming to Palm Coast for three years running. In 2010, this Hammock Beach was at its peak; the Lodge was THE place to be, and the prices were reasonable. It was still a good deal in October 2011, when we stayed at the Lodge again.

Fast forward to June 2012.

First off, the food: We stayed in the Towers for the first time. It's still very nice. However, I can see where the reviewers felt lost. We arrived at 10:30 p.m. ET, and there's no one around. If you want a late-night bite anywhere on the property, forget it. Every menu is closed at 10. That being said, the food is still outstanding. However, at Atlantic, it ran $93 for:
1. Chicken dish with salad and tea.
1. Soup, salad, $13 glass of sparkling (worth it).

That is because the service charges add up in a hurry. With everything purchased, a service fee is added. All down to the $3.25 yogurt at the coffee stand. Quite a price spike from 2010.

The entire resort is not being maintained like it used to be. Check the paint on the clubhouse/Lodge overhang. It's peeling fast. The carpets in the main tower are showing age, and the hotel needs to upgrade to bigger TVs to keep with the times. Even though I am an avid golfer, playing golf there is simply not an option at $200 a round. If cheaper rates were available, I was not informed.

The main strength continues to be the kids working there for the summer. They unfailingly showed enthusiasm for the job and were quick to help.

I don't want to keep up this bash job, but we won't be returning, and we were very disappointed that this once-wonderful spot isn't an option anymore. Hopefully, new management can step in and return this place to its former glory.

In short,

Room Tip: Rooms have their own AC units and own hot water heaters. Unlimited hot water doesn't exist, and...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank killebrew11
Fleming Island, Florida
Reviewed 24 June 2012

This is one of our favorite beach resorts. It's a cash-free/ tip-free resort that offers a lot for families. The property is nicely landscaped, and the buildings are very pretty. In terms of comparison to other beach hotels in North Florida, I think it is comparable to the Amelia Island Plantation or Ponte Vedra Inn, which are both older.

We first visited the property a little over 4 years ago when it was a Ginn property. At the time, I was absolutely amazed. Everything was so polished and well run. The property is composed of a membership club and individually owned units, some of which are rented by the property. Some are used exclusively by the owners, either as vacation homes or primary residences. These owners were definitely the "two percent" we've heard so much about. I spoke to one who had a vacation home in both Hammock Beach and the Bahamas. In short, I enjoyed the experience, but I felt a little out of my element.

Since then, the resort has changed a little. Ginn declared bankruptcy, and the property is under new management. A couple of years ago, we saw several foreclosure notices for the individual units, but it looks like things may have improved since then. This time, we didn't see any signs of economic distress. The clientelle has changed a bit (less Louis V, more Target), but I prefer that.

Here are some of the things that we love about the property:

(1) Direct access to a nice beach -

We live about an hour from Palm Coast, so we are very familiar with beaches and resorts in the area. If you book in St. Augustine/ Crescent Beach, you will have a nice, wide sandy beach, but the beach front is dominated by condos, which are always a roll of the dice. I don't care for those beaches because cars are allowed to drive on them. As a parent of two young kids, I feel like I can never relax. I'm constantly watching them when they are in the water. If they are on land, I'm paranoid about the traffic. It is a very dangerous situation, especially on a busy day.

Hammock Beach is about 10 minutes south of Crescent Beach (just south of St. Augustine). The beach is much narrower (especially at high tide!), but cars are not allowed. The beach itself has a lot of coquina shells. Good for hunting for sharks teeth, but bad for feet. You may want to pack a pair of water shoes.

(2) Large Units

I think the main tower has one, two, and three bedroom units. I've only stayed at the one bedroom and three bedroom units. The three bedroom is basically a full-scale condo. The one bedroom has a full bath (separate shower, garden tub), king bed, and full size pull out sofa bed. We stayed most recently in the one bedroom, and it met our needs. It has a balcony, living area/ bedroom, small fridge, coffee maker, two flat burners, and microwave.

(3) Great Pool

A two-story pool, with a water slide and lazy river. Need I say more? There are actually several pools, some of which are heated. One is inside. One is an "adult experience" only (although we saw plenty of kids in it). The pool area is probably the busiest area at the resort, and lounge chairs are at a premium. Most are taken pretty early in the day by people who "reserve" them with towels. There is also a "members only" area that is off limit to guests.

(4) Resort Activities

My son loved the crafts (coloring sand dollars, tie dying a shirt, etc.) and the movie on the lawn. They helped keep him busy when he needed a break from swimming.

Some things they need to work on:

(1) Housekeeping.

Absolutely, positively, do not expect an early check-in. Last time they kept us waiting until after 4:00 because they said it was a busy day for checking in/out. This time, I planned for a Thursday arrival, hoping we would do better. We did get our room a little sooner (we got the call our room was ready at 3:45), but not by much. We also weren't alone in our wait. In the afternoons, the lobby is full of people waiting for their room to be ready. On the other hand, the night before we checked out, we got a message stating that there would be no late check outs the next day due to full occupancy (we never requested one, so I found that a bit irritating).

We also kept missing our housekeeping staff. The first day, we took the "do not disturb" sign off the door by 10:00. We got a message much later in the day stating that they missed us, and we would have to call concierge for housekeeping. When we called, they came and brought fresh towels, but not more shampoo, etc. The same thing happened the next day. It's a good thing they don't depend on tips, because they wouldn't have gotten much out of me.

(2) Roaches

I'm a native Floridian, so I know our bugs. I'll give a pass to the occassional bug, because I know it's an uphill battle, even for the cleanest property. However, we spotted three roaches in our room during our stay. The last came out of the pull out sofa when I opened it up during the last night. After it ran, it left some odd body parts behind. That did gross me out, so I pulled the bedding off and called the concierge for replacement bedding. The bedding didn't come until an hour later. The man who brought it tried to assure me by telling me the difference between a palmetto bug and a roach (I know the difference, thank you very much, but I wouldn't want either in my child's bed). After the wait, I was very discouraged to find twin sized sheets and no blanket. It didn't take as long the second time to get the bedding, but there was still no blanket. At this point, it was after 10:00 and the kids were literally falling down tired, so I made do.

(3) Maintenance

I noticed a lot of little things that needed to be repaired: chipped paint, scratches and handwriting on maintenance doors; a loose brick on the pool deck; the upper shower not working near the beach; stains on the carpet in my room; etc. By themselves, it wasn't much, but it did take away from the overall experience.

Tips:
- If you are coming from the north on 95, exit at highway 206 (Flying J exit, one exit north of where the hotel says to exit). I think it is about the same distance, but less interstate. You'll get a great view of the beach and see Marineland. You'll also avoid the traffic at Palm Coast and a toll bridge.

-Don't worry about parking. When you arrive, just let them valet your car. It's included in your room price.

-When you go down the stairs to the beach, the lounge chairs on the right are reserved the club members. Resort guests have to use the chairs to the left (left if you are facing the beach; it's the northern end of the beach).

- A lot of people get confused by the elevators at first. One of two elevators will respond to an elevator call. However, the elevators are not close to one another. Step back and watch both, or you may miss your elevator.

- Be careful on the beach. The beach has a lot of rocks, and there is a reef just off shore. Several of the rocks are obscured during high tide. The water is not clear, so it can be very easy to miss. There are also no lifeguards on duty at the beach.

- Make use of any and all amenities. Valet? You bet. Help bringing your bags upstairs? Sure thing. Rent a bike? Might as well. You're paying for it. It's a cashless/ tipless resort, but you will be hit with a 20% gratuity for just about everything, so use the things that don't have a fee.

- There is a Publix located very close to the resort. Use it to stock up on bottled water. The tap water at the resort does not taste great.

- Check out the travel auction websites. I got a great deal on this last trip by purchasing a package on luxurylink.com during the off season. Because of that deal, I was able to tolerate the pricey food and drink prices at the property.

10 Thank Barbara J
#1 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
The Lodge at Hammock Beach
The Lodge at Hammock Beach
#11 of 11 in Palm Coast

Been to Hammock Beach Resort? Share your experiences!