“Not clean and very stinky”

Knights Inn Palm Harbor
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Palm Harbor
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We traveled fro 3 months. Red Roof to Red Roof with our doggie. This was by far the worst. Thank god I did not see bedbug. But it was moldy and stinky and just not clean. Front desk staff mediocre and blah. No enthusiasm. Shoot we only there one night and that was enough.

Room Tip: There are none.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank caffeineacademy

Reviewed 6 March 2012

BEWARE BEWARE! I would like to comment on my experience at this hotel in which I stayed feb. 23-28, 2012.  I was Not impressed with the room when I first arrived but with no other options (peak time for spring training and snow birds) I had to gut it out.  I though for $40 a night, how bad could it be???  Boy was I wrong!  After the first night in the room, I noticed a small blood stain on the sheets and immediately went to the maid and asked for my sheets to be changed in which she did.( Note the maid was not dressed so professional)The next day I started experiencing some itchy spots on my ankles and upper legs but thought nothing of it as Florida is notorious for Mosquitos and other bugs and I had been outside that day.  The morning I was to check out I was awakened by my alarm only to find a small insect on my arm in which I flicked off and thought nothing of.  It was on the plane flight home that I began to get uncomfortable itching my back and arms.  After a long flight home to California, I stepped in the shower and my wife said WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR BACK?  Panicked I said I don't know why?  I could tell her voice was panicked!  I looked in the mirror only to find out that my back was covered in swollen red bumped and almost unbearable to not itch!  After a visit to the doctor, I was informed that I have bed bug bites as was asked if I was in a hotel or traveling recently.  Go figure!   Now it's starting to come together,  the bug I flicked off, the itchy legs, the blood spot on the sheets, all signs of bed bugs after I did a little research...  I am really upset and in discomfort as I look like I have the chicken poks on my whole body.  Yes, it has spread in coming days. Never, ever, have I experienced anything like this in my travels and 1000's of hotels my job has taken me across the country.  I have called and spoke to the front desk and they have told me I need to call back and speak to the manger in which I will. Three days later I was able to get in touch with the manger and tell him the situation. Of course, he denies his hotel is infested and of course claimed I brought them in and it was my house that has the bed bugs. He claimed I got them in the airport or from my brand new rental car or even my job. I took offense to this and explained I plan legal action. The manger seamed to think I was trying to get a free stay when in reality I never asked to be compensated with monetary value only the problem be fixed so others don't suffer like I have. Now, I will be seeking monetary value for my stay. I have taken numerous pictures of my body as evidence of my troubles.  I have done nothing but panick over the last few days because after extensive research, I have found that bed bugs can travel and can possibly now be spread in my home.  My wife is panicked and inspects her arms and body daily for any sign of bites.  To make things worse, our niece has been staying with us and has napped in our bed so now she may have been exposed to these things.  This is a vicious cycle and feel this needs to be addressed and fixed.  I will be making a call and getting them to make this right!!  If this is spread to my beautiful new home and to my family members, legal action may be taken and this place needs to be shut down....  The maids dress unprofessional and I was often being interrupted with something broken in the hotel.  Not to mention, the weekend I was there, a pipe burst and water had to be shutoff for numerous hours with no compensation or discount on the room. The towels were in such bad shape with stains that I made a trip to the local store to purchase a towel and toiletries. The toilet seat was broken and was stained all over.  I was often awoken or stirred up from screaming kids and families that looked to me like they made the hotel their permanent home.  Rocks were being kicked by kids and 1 was even kicked off my window which scared the crud out of me. I went outside to address the problem and once I saw the parents of the kids, it was better off I keep myself out of trouble.  I am very unhappy as you can tell and after reading the reviews very mad at myself for not doing my research..... I would rather sleep outside next time!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank K P
redroofpalmharbor, Manager at Knights Inn Palm Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

We thank you for bringing the issue to our attention. Unfortunately Bed bugs are an epidemic that is effecting the US. This is not jsut limited to hotel, but effects theatres, dept stores, and even people personal homes. Bed bugs are carried from place to place on people clothing or person items. As soon as we are made aware of the situtation we call out a professional company to take care of the issue and treat the room.

The rooms have since been treated by a professional a company to address the situation.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at this Red Roof Inn for the month of Feb...BIG MISTAKE. We were in room 123 for the first 12 nights. It was dirty and very noisy. When we complained, we were told (by the manager) that he had no rooms available and would have to wait 3 days to be moved. He had 4 rooms reserved for emergencies, I guess he didn't consider our complaint an emergency. We then moved to room 247 and after about 10 days noticed we were getting bites. We had been on the golf course and thought maybe it was sand flies or someother fly from there. I had already checked the bed when we moved in and noticed that the matress and boxspring were encased in zippered plastic bags. I thought we were safe from bed bugs.... WRONG. I unzipped the bag from the boxspring and lo and behold, I found bugs. I put 3 of them in a ziplock bag and took them to the front desk, where it was confimed by a registered nurse in the lobby at the time, that they were indeed bedbugs and my bites were bedbug bites. All the receptionist could do for me was give me another room. We left immediately. I'm sorry I didn't knock on every door there to inform the other guests. We had the receptionist call the manager so we could talk to him. He refused to come to the hotel and deal with this and told us we could not have a refund because we had the monthly rate. We have since gotten our refund but want to warn others of our experience. This hotel is poorly managed, filthy dirty, and has bed bugs. STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jeannie D
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel last weekend. My fiance and I had to high tail it out of there on Saturday morning around 5:30 a.m. He had an adult bed bug crawling on his arm and then woke me up. We never sleep in the covers when we travel, we always bring our own blankets and pillows, thank goodness! Once awakened, I pulled back the covers and flipped the pillows to find an entire colony of bed bugs, young & adult, along with a ton of blood stains. I was completely mortified! We immediately packed our bags and went to the front desk. We were told to come back at 7am because the manager wasn't in yet. We waited in the car! Once the manager was in, he proceeded to tell us that an international stayed in our room before us. I'm sorry, this infestation didn't just happen over night. He then said because we didn't report it until Saturday morning, he could only reimburse us one night. If the bugs were there Friday night, they were there in the bed Thursday night too! I told the manager that I would knock on every single door in the hotel if he didn't give me the money back. Needless to say, we got all $254 back. I'm positive nothing was done to the room once we left. Someone is probably staying there right now.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Kimberly A
redroofpalmharbor, Owner at Knights Inn Palm Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

The customer had reported bed bugs in the room. We thoroughly inspected the room and made sure that there were no bed bugs present. The room has since been treated to ensure there is no insect activity. The state of florida also came out and inspected the room. Their find that there were no bed bugs in the room or rooms near by.

Reviewed 26 September 2011

We had a cat show in New Port Richey in late April--our previous stays in Red Roof Inns have been excellent--an 'upgrade' from some hotels that we often use; however, this stay was absolutely our worst Red Roof experience in a lifetime and has made us leary of the units since. The reserved-in-advance room was extremely dirty (note: we travel for cat shows with a VERY clean/bathed/groomed/international winning Norwegian Forest Cat.) After viewing the conditionof the room we returned to the front desk--lady was argumentative, we asked for a mop/broom to clean the room ourselves when we returned from checking out the show facilities in New Port Richey--we could not even get a broom with the excuse given "we left it at your door--came back and thought you were thru with it"....I have delayed posting this negative experience but decided others should be aware to avoid this specific location!

Room Tip: go somewhere/*anywhere* else!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank thegoodkats
redroofpalmharbor, Owner at Knights Inn Palm Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

I would like to express my regret that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay with us. Since your stay we have revamped our entire system. We have implemented a new laundry company for our linens and have had amazing results. The property has gone under an extensive overhaul for the landscaping. All the employees have also been re trained to ensure your and any other customers experience.

I hope that you will try us again in the future.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

Vacationers, beware!!! I checked in 9.2.2011 and my room there was an old musky odor in the room. I reported it to the Front Desk and was told let the A/C run and it will go away. I was foolish to believe...but it was a beautiful day, I wanted to go to the beach. I sprayed nearly an entire can of Febreze turned the A/C on high and left for the beach. I returned 4 hours later and that musky odor still lingered. I went to the front desk, the clerk did not change my room or want to help me. I refused to stay in that smelly room. I paid $74.31 and checked out. I drove less than a mile and checked into a 4 star facility that served breakfast and paid $98.10. The price difference was $23.79 I never should have tried to save the money because It was an expensive lesson but I will never stay at this facility again. You will not receive a refund this is a franchise. Vacationers, beware!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank MsBBR

I am sorry that my front desk staff was not as helpful as they should have been. We have re trained all teh staff memebers to ensure that you have the best experience and are able to solve any issues that may arise. If you could please call the hotel and ask for myself Amish Patel I would love to help you out with your past stay and would love you have you come back and try us again.

Reviewed 31 August 2011

so easy for someone with a dog to use. I have been here since 6/26/2011 because of
an ongoing problem with my house in Dunedin. Have been extremely satisfied

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo

Thank you very much for your review, we work hard to ensure that our customers are extremely happy with their stay with us. Everyone here appreciates your business and look foward to serving your lodging needs in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Harbor
Sandpearl Resort
Sandpearl Resort
#7 of 98 in Clearwater
Innisbrook, A Salamander Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Knights Inn Palm Harbor? Share your experiences!