“Dont Book Here!!!”

VISTA Hotel on Lake Tarpon
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Palm Harbor
“Dont Book Here!!!”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I had booked this resort thru groupon 2 months ago for 3 days for my birthday weekend! I was so excited since it seemed like an awesome place. I drove 4.5 hours to get there and when I arrived I was told they didn't have my reservation, even though I had the reservation confirmation. To makes matters worse they had nothing available. Now it's spring break, and I'm sure when they booked my lower price didn't realize this, however, they never did anything to rectify it or to help me find another place to stay. 4 hours later I finally found a place to stay for $850 for the weekend.
Needless to say I will never go back there nor will I use Groupon!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Juicepluswendy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Chicago Illinois
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Oh boy. I have to say I mostly agree with Tropic2112 on this one. We had 3 couples and a single in our group and booked through Hotels.com, so it was a decent price. We thought. When we got there the front desk gals were not at all welcoming. The word neutral fits pretty good. The room was VERY worn out and right out of the 1970's, when the place was built. They are supposedly trying to work on it and I guess it's costly to update, but maybe they should close it off and do it all! It sits right on Route 19, a very busy highway, but the rooms do have nice balconies with a view of the canal. There was an alligator and wildlife to observe. The maid, Norma, was a very good. The breakfast did consist of coffee, juice and small plastic wrapped sweet rolls, and on some days muffins too. That's it. Of the 4 rooms we had, the phones in one of the rooms worked okay. One couple never had a working phone the whole time. There were 2 washers and 2 dryers for guest use, but 1 of each was broken. The laundry room was dirty, as were the machines. No soap to purchase and no change machine. I most definitely will NOT go back to this hotel. Even at the deal we got, so not worth it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ChicagoIllinoisKat
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Starting off from my arrival the ladies at the front desk were rude with their stale face attitudes. The rooms were okay except for the caked up fixtures and outdated lights and curtains. The cleaning crew is the only thing going for this motel because it is far from being a resort or hotel. Nice view from the balcony but the balcony chairs looked like a plastic piece of junk. As for the continental breakfast if you call baby danish snacks and basic refreshments continental then it was great but in reality it was awful and they false advertised it to a tee. I wouldnt recommend a homeless person to stay there. Check it out for yourself if you dont believe me you will be very disappointed. If you have lots of luggage be ready to carry it all because there is only one raggedy cart corral. NEVER AGAIN I REPEAT NEVER EVER AGAIN...

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank 5Generation5
Wellington, Florida
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Having spent the previous night in an excellent 3 star hotel near Bush Gardens, the family and I were travelling around on a rainy monday. In need of good accommodations, we came across the Lake Tarpon Resort online at a reasonable price.

The location was convenient to where we were, and the good stops there.

Though the desk clerk was accommodating, her neutral attitude and overall distraction with her cellphone was offsetting.

The room had a nice view of the canal in the back. The hotel is very old and the rooms have not been kept up. Every metal surface (Lamps, switch plates towel racks) were rusty. The electrical appliances in the room were in disrepair and somewhat dangerous. (Akin to staying in a third world country.)

The scariest part started at about 2 in the morning. With our small children sleeping in the bed, came loud pounding on the door. Scared me half to death.. I didn't answer it, and they went away.

At about 4 in the morning, someone was trying to knock our door down. Cursing and pounding mercilessly... I picked up the room phone to call the police, put the phone was in disrepair. I found my cellphone, and contacted the front desk. The man said he would walk over to see what was going on.

Nobody ever came by.

The breakfast consisted of a plastic wrapped truckstop danish and a cup of coffee. In their favor, the coffee was not bad

All in all, one of the worst motel experiences in my 25 years in Florida.

I was fooled by the supposed 3 star rating, and my expectation of a non-eventful restful night was turned into a hair raising sleepless odyssey.

I would not recommend this hotel under any circumstances. Would have been better off in the car..

Run away from this one.

Room Tip: Find another hotel. Poor room, and very scary night.