“Not what it used to be”
Review of Sea Hut

Sea Hut
Ranked #4 of 72 Restaurants in Palmetto
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I am sure if there has been a change of hands or what is going on. But they ran out of Gas and had to send everyone away on a Friday night and then wait until they got gas again? Service was marginal. I prefer the Crab Trap 2 location but the apparently they have severed ties.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

Quantity trumps quality at Crab Trap I. My fried Ipswich clams were piled high but encased in mushy batter and suspended in a slurry of greasy sediment. In self defense I abandoned the dish after finishing only one-fourth. My wife offered me a scallop swimming in butter, but it looked happier in the pool on her plate than dripping from my fork.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

The decor is beyond outdated. LOTS of wood and HUGE booths -- even if there are only two of you. We wondered if this place was 'the place to be' back in the day.... it certainly looked like it was something special at some point. But, sadly, not in 2013.

The best thing about our meal was the Gator bites appetizer -- they cooked the gator perfectly. When it's overdone, gator is rubbery. This wasn't. The gator was tender and tasty even though it was deep fried.

I had the full-belly clam dinner. I was excited to see it on the menu since FULL-belly clam dinners can be hard to come by. The dinner arrived and there were several full-belly clams but most of the plate was more like clam strips/pieces. My sides were fried okra (excellent) and a baked potato that tasted like it had been sitting around from the day before. The whole thing was disappointing.

My husband ordered the clam strip dinner... he said it was okay. Guess that's not much of a review but take it for what it's worth. His sides were the mac and cheese (horrible) and the clam chowder (upcharge for that). The chowder had quite a few clams on the bottom of the bowl but the broth was way tooooo runny for a true chowder.

So, we tried it. Won't be back.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

We had gone there a few years ago, didn't like it, and never went back. Then we heard it was under new management, and had a new menu, so we tried it again. The place was packed, because it was full of senior citizens who like the cheap menu prices. But the food is really terrible. The fish we ordered was mushy -- old, or spoiled, and inedible, and the side dishes were tastless. We wouldn't eat there again, even if it was free. With all the great seafood restaurants down here, serving delicious fresh seafood, do yourself a favor, pass this one up. If you want good seafood, go somewhere else.

1  Thank Dianne9530
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Went to crab trap the other night with friends. Never have been there before so i searched the internet. Seeing last review, was a little apprehensive. Not sure what changed in a day or two, but food was delicous. Had the citrus wahoo, was great. My friends had crab soup and a combo platter, said it was excellent. Clam chowder was good and spinach salad was really good. Will return sooner than later

1  Thank stopgripingtroll