“Mother's Day Treat”

Angelo & Sons Seafood
Ranked #4 of 16 Restaurants in Panacea
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Went to Angelo's for this past weekend's Mother's Day. Nice drive from Tally and always nice to sit on the deck that looks out over the bay while having dinner. Prices have gone up quite a bit here since we first started coming (and we use to enjoy the now defunked Oaks Restaurant across the street) but the quality is still quite good. My husband had his usual Grouper throats. I know, I know, it sound nasty but the throat has some of the most tender meat and you get a PILE of them for 9.99, where as a grouper filet is going to run 19.99 for half as much meat. The kids had a grouper sandwich and mahi mahi, the fish of the day. My order was for the broiled shrimp and grouper. They brought me out what appeared to be a large plate, though I had asked for the small, and yes, they charged me for the large also. Being as it was mother's day I didn't argue, though I did tell the waitress. That was disappointing. The waitress was a little overwhelmed but tried to be as attentive as possible and as we were in no hurry it made no difference to us. The onion rings that use to be so delish as an appetizer was not so good, as thy used the same oil they cook the fish in and it made them fishy tasting. I always get the Greek Trim to my salad, but this time there was at most a tablespoon of potato salad on the plate and only one olive. I don't think I'll pay the extra $3 for that any longer and just get the standard salad. With tip our dinner for four was $98, The only real down side to the restaurant was the couple who were seated next to us half way through the meal with two smaller children who were Extremely Loud and boisterous and Mom and Dad did not try to calm, hush, quiet or ask them to behave. Really made it hard for many diners and they didn't seem to care. I'm sure the restaurant staff noticed did not want to say anything for fear of starting a rowel. We have enjoyed this restaurant before on the fourth of July when a nearby campground was setting off fireworks over the bay and were delighted by that evenings "dinner and a show". I wish they would plan that for every fourth.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stopped in for appetizer and drink. Service was fantastic! From the moment we walked thru the door until we paid our bill, service was friendly, fast, attentive and delivered with a smile. Food was good, can't beat the view.

Give it a try if you haven't been there in awhile...Locally owned and operated.

2  Thank gazelle47_12
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Angelo's has a great view and good food, but skimp on customer service. I was overcharged $200 on my bill (as I was charged for food I did not get). Overall it probably was an honest mistake, but when I called to inquire about it (on a Sunday) I was told there was no manager there and maybe someone would call me on Wednesday. Well no one ever called. The food is good, but there are plenty of other local establishments where you can get the same quality of food at a much cheaper price.

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Had lunch at Angelo's today. Best meals we've had there in years. Large portions broiled and seasoned to perfection. We had shrimp, scallops, crab and grouper. Service was a bit slow, but that can be overlooked when the food is really good like it was today. Yes, it does cost more, but the views make up for it (as long as the food is good too). Like other reviewers, we've found Angelo's to be very inconsistent in recent years, and we don't frequent it like we used to because of that. But if they can keep the quality up to where it was today, we'll start going back more often.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Leaving Alligator Point, we passed by Angelo's and thought we would love to watch the sun set from their outdoor eating area. We checked TripAdvisor as we always do before we went in. I noticed it was ranked only 7 out of 12 and was hesitant but we really wanted to enjoy the water view and took our chances. I am so sorry we took our chances. First, our service was very slow. It took quite a while to get our oysters, even longer to get my beer, and a bit longer than that to finally get silverware to eat the oysters with. Beer was cold, so that's good. But the oysters? We could smell them before she sat them on the table. I have eaten countless dozens of oysters and none of them smelled like this so imagine my surprise when the server's explanation was that they are Appalachicola oysters--I eat those at home 3 hours away and they don't smell like that. We decided to try them anyway...bad idea. They were bordering on warm. Fresh-shucked oysters are supposed to be cold. This was the first time in my life I didn't eat my dozen. So we finally get to order. Fish of the day? Out of it. Green beans? Out of those. Roasted potatoes? Out of those, too. We finally ordered 2 salads and dry-broiled snapper. Salads were typical bagged salad, house dressing was neither great nor poor. Our snapper was great though--nicely prepared except for the enormous amount of onions and parsley on top. We scraped most of it off. The sunset was beautiful...we saw the entire thing while waiting, waiting, waiting for our bill. We finally went inside to get the bill to pay. Bathrooms were clean, hand scrub was a nice touch. I felt that the meal was over-priced for what we got but I guess that water view is expensive. We won't be back unless it's just to have a beer--if they aren't out of those.