“Like Staying With Family”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Panama City
Ranked #23 of 31 Hotels in Panama City
Ocala, Florida
“Like Staying With Family”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I've stayed at this hotel many times and can't believe I haven't given it a review! The hotel is just off 23 street, on Harrison, which makes it quiet but convienent to everything Panama City and Panama City Beach has to offer. The manager, Debra, and her staff treat the guests like family and will do anything to make their stay pleasant. The hotel has recently been repainted and recarpeted so everything is fresh and new. The rooms are large, clean, and comfortable. They have free wifi in each room although it is a little slow. Their outdoor pool is very nice but hardly used. They also have a small exercise room. They have a hot breakfast which changes daily and also breakfast items for those on a diet. If you desire a daily newspaper, they will make sure you have one. Each night they bake cookies and put them out in the lobby for the guests. yum, yum. The rates are far more favorable than those on the beach and you don't have to put up with all the traffic congestion. This is one hotel that really cares about their guests. As a side note, one time I told the staff I would be arriving on my motorcycle to attend a motorcycle event on the beach. When I arrived, they had arranged covered parking for the motorcycle and a wash down station with towels to clean the bike after my arrival. That what I call customer service!

Room Tip: The hotel is only two stories. I prefer to be on the second story as it is a little quieter. If you...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dan R
CIS-PCFL, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Panama City, responded to this review, 15 October 2015
Thank you for taking the time to complete the review. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 16 February 2013

That's all I need in a hotel and this CI&S will now be my top choice in PC after this first stay. (I've also stayed frequently at a Comfort Inn near St. Andrews and the La Quinta on 23rd.)

Central: the hotel is located one block south of East 23rd Street, the main dining and shopping area in Panama City. When you're ready for the beach, head west on 23rd and you'll end up one block from the Hathaway Bridge which takes you to the beach.

Quiet: Since the hotel is not on 23rd itself, you don't hear much noise from the very busy 23rd street. Rooms are "interior."

Breakfast: a step above the usual fare at similar mid-price hotels. Possibly the weekday food is not as varied, but our Sunday morning breakfast included scrambled eggs, "Southwest"-style potatoes, fruit salad, fruit, 4 cereals, bagels, muffins, "you make 'em" Belgian waffles, 3 coffees (regular, bold, and decaf), Bigelow tea assortment, and cocoa mix.

Although I don't eat it, the oatmeal is not the packaged "instant" variety but "real" oatmeal in a big crockpot. Also, the yogurt is not single serving containers but a big bowl of plain yogurt with a variety of toppings on the side. And you don't eat on styrofoam with plastic: ceramic bowls, plates, cups, etc. as well as metal flatware. (I think all Carlson hotels are going this way.)

Hotel: Two stories. Computer in the lobby for those without a laptop. High speed access in the rooms for those with a laptop.

We had booked a King using a "Carlson Club points plus cash" option. At check-in, the clerk upgraded us to a King suite since we are Carlson Club members. The room was a "real" suite: the bedroom is separated from the rest of the room by a full floor to ceiling wall and a door. Flat panel TVs and phones in both the bedroom and the living area.

The only issue I had is that the bathroom is configured strangely. The commode is very close to the washbowl, apparently to allow more room between the commode and tub. But, the toilet paper roller is right under the washbowl. Between these two, some part of your anatomy will likely touch either the commode or the toilet paper roller when you are at the washbowl. No big deal...

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Travel_Grognard
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I've stayed at this hotel several times and the general manger and coworkers are very professional ,the breakfast is awesome I love this hotel the people that work the are kind and always there when you need them

Room Tip: Always get a suite the jacuzzi is awesome
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Northbay C
Reviewed 23 September 2012

For a good rate,we got a clean room free Wi fi a comfy bed and breakfast in the morning with waffles! I would stay here again if I come this way.the morning breakfast is more than just cereal. The bed was very comfy.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank lauriehesk
Central Florida
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Our baseball team stayed here for only one night before the condos we rented for a week were available. Our room was clean, beds were comfortable, A/C great. Other rooms apparently had musty smell. We passed on the breakfast, others found it acceptable and others didn't....we went to Chik-fil-A down the road. After checking out, I realized I must have left my hat behind and they had it for me the next day at the front desk (thanks!)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank hopetowinlottery
CIS-PCFL, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Panama City, responded to this review, 30 November 2015
Thank you for taking the time to complete the review. We are working diligently to fine tune the operation of the hotel. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Panama City, Florida
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Uhmmm...what can I say...The price was rather high, but then again this is peak season, so all hotel prices are.

The front view makes the hotel look awesome.

When u walk in it really looks like a country stay...front desk was ok. When u go through the side door, the smell is horrific! There are only two floors to this place, the parking is on the side and I'm surprised there was enough...the pool was ok, deepest end is 4.5 ft, which is good because I can't even swim lol...it has pine trees near it so that's a big plus seeing that there was shade needed. The shower for the pool was terrible, I would have rather used a waterhose... :-/ if you use a gym, good luck with that because it's closed now for remodeling, but I haven't see anyone do any work in there :-/...

The breakfast is so bad...one waffle machine for over 100 guests and it takes 2 mins to make...the juice machine was horrible at first but now seems to be working. Bottom line about breakfast is, it's good if you're not hungry, then it would be good, but if you're starving then you're s.o.l.

The room looked good..bed was super comfortable! The pillows were ok... The bathroom was small, I mean if I ordered a two queen bed room with four people i would need at least four towels right? Well...ended up having to ask for more towels and then had to bring down my old ones in exchange as if I wanted to steal them...wtf

The worst thing this hotel did was wake me up at 519 in the morning with an alarm...a fire alarm at that...so I jumped out of bed to get everyone out...n It just went off...I called the front desk, n they were nonchalant about it like its a normal thing...wtf? So I've been up since then, did my jogged round the quiet neighborhood n now that I've had my weak breakfast I can hopefully enjoy the day...just beware when booking this hotel. If you're looking for something nice, then you might need to cough up an extra 20 bucks a night n stay at the ramada cause this place is only a place to sleep....

P.s. the wifi sucks!

Room Tip: Book with the hotels website...not Expedia or hotels.com
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank The1nOnly

Travellers are raving about these Panama City hotels

magnolia,ms
Reviewed 7 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for the first time for the 4th of july holiday. Too far from beach. Breakfast was only biscuits & gravy, cereal, juices were horrible, coffee was too watery. Whirlpool couldn't fit two people. Air conditioner kept turning off. Room service didn't clean our room until after 3, when we returned and requested it. they ran out of bath towels.Wouldn't stay again....

• Stayed July 2012