“NEVER AGAIN!”

Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Panama City
Springdale, Arkansas
“NEVER AGAIN!”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We chose a Comfort Inn because it is a well-known chain and we had had a good experience staying at one in Pelham, AL, the week before on our way to Florida. They're pretty much all the same, right?! My first thought upon seeing the property was that we must be at the wrong hotel because it looked NOTHING like the picture! I guess you can make anything look good by photoshopping out the surroundings and adding a sunset! Very deceptive picture! I have to say, the front desk clerk was very helpful, but that was as good as it got. I knew as soon as I opened the door that it was not going to be good. The smell was horrible!! I can't even explain it! It smelled like a combination of mildew and carpet cleaning chemical! The bathtub and sink area had been updated and were fairly nice, but the toilet seat looked circa 1986!!! It was actually yellowed and worn down and bubbled in spots! Why they didn't replace that is beyond me! I was afraid to use it! Unbelievable! The carpet just felt dirty and my teenagers and I did not want to take our shoes off! in fact, they even showered with sandals on, even though the tub had been updated! The breakfast was average but I had no complaints because it was free. The actual eating area, though, is extremely small (I think there was 3 tables) and when all the families started coming in, it was difficult to maneuver around. My daughter had to eat in the room because there was no room for her to sit. The final straw, though, was when we were all in our room getting ready (about 8:30a.m.) and a hotel employee opened up the door and started to come in! I'm sure she was as surprised as we were! When I went up and asked about it, they had assumed when my sister-in-law had checked out earlier (they wanted to get out a.s.a.p.!), that we had checked out, too! Again, the gentleman at the front desk was very nice and helpful, but this was one of our worst hotel experiences ever! Will not stay here again!

On a side note, we wanted to stay another night in Panama Beach and we happened to pass another Comfort Inn and Suites (on R Jackson Blvd. - highly recommend!) about 2 blocks from the beach that looked very nice. We stopped in and for only about $35 more we had a beautiful room with 2 queen beds and a nice sitting area - and it smelled great! Compared to the previous night, it felt like we were staying at a luxury hotel! Definitely check that one out!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Joli06

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 23 May 2012

If you ever ventured into finding a cheap yet acceptable place to stay around Panama City, you probably know how horrible are most hotels/motels that go under 90$ a night in the area. My friends and I went through this very quest and it soon became clear that 70$ would only buy us a disgusting room with lumpy mattresses in the most undesirable location. Fortunately, we shopped long enough to find the Comfort Inn & Suites.

Contrary to most cheap hotels/motels in the area, the Comfort Inn feels safe and looks on par with today's standards in the hotel industry. Upon checking in (late at night), we were greeted by a front desk clerk who was efficient, helpful and professional. While parking our car, we were NOT stared at by weird-looking patrons loitering in the parking lot...

Our room had clearly been remodeled in the past 5 years and was large enough to comfortably accommodate a party of three. It was equipped with a flat screen TV, a mini-fridge, a microwave oven, a sofa bed, an iron and a coffee maker. Beds were comfortable and the bathroom was clean and functional.

Included in our rate was a free breakfast every morning. It was rather basic but certainly adequate. Also, free coffee is served 24hrs a day in the lobby.

However, the management should pay closer attention to details, especially in the rooms. For instance, our door's safety lock was missing. There were two telephones in the room, yet only one was working - and it was quite grimy. Some bedsheets had cigarette burns.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
lafayette
Reviewed 25 August 2011

A friend and I planned a vacation to Panama City Beach Florida. We looked up hotels and from looking at the pictures, thought this was the one for us. When we arrived, the front desk worker greeted us. As we drove to the back to get to our room it looked more unpleasant. As soon as we opened the door, the room smelled a strong ordor of mildew/mold. We pulled back the sheets and had little holes in them. We looked at the mattress the was soiled in dirt and looked like it was picked up off the side of the road. The shower wall had pubic hairs on it. The curtain was stained with mildew. The room was nasty. We had no choice to stay that night because we had a long drive. We called management to cancel the rest of the stay and refund us our money back. They told me it would take 18 days to get my refund which was unacceptable because I do not reside in Florida. I had to write my banking information down and they had to fax my bank the next morning to release the holds so I can get my money back. Well I brought the manager my information with the fax number. We actually got a room next door to Best Western (completely comfortable); the next morning the funds were not in my account after talking to my back who had never received the fax from the hotel. So i went to ask the manager to fax the information while I was there and she showed me the number she so-say faxed it to the first time. She changd the # 1 in the fax number to a # 9. By this time I was pissed. I called the police and had to taken care of. Please stay away from this place; very unprofessional and not trustworthy.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lashawn p

Travellers are raving about these Panama City hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 July 2011

The pictures do NOT reflect the actual hotel. The room had a musty odor, there were little bugs flying around- I swear my 4 yr old daughter tried to kill about 5 that were lined up on the wall. The tub and toilet along with the carpet and bedding really need to be updated. The best thing about this place is the location to the beach and the breakfast, however, I would have rather spent more money eating out than the 'bargain' we got a this hotel. We paid $89/night so basicly we got what we paid for but the pictures on the website are VERY deceiving. Do yourself a favor and spend more money at a nicer hotel- especially if your staying with kids. VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank LivinLife00
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 September 2010

worse experience we have ever encountered at any hotel and especially Choice Hotels. We asked the front desk around 12 noon saturday when were the beds being made. told the front desk commode was stopped up i was told that they would get to it as soon as they did stairwells, and etc I asked them what we were to do because the bathroom was needed to be used, we also requested new towel we were told that we would have to bring dirty towels back before they could give new ones who ever heard of such!!

The gentleman was very loud and agitated he seem to have a problem with certain group of people.

Another thing he called out a quest and told her she could not take breakfast back to the room but yet we seen that the frontdesk peron had no problem with certain other people taking food to room they walked right passed him and nothing was said. My fiance and I spoke to the frontdesk person regarding policy on the food and he got very defensive and said he did not have time to listen he was trying to get breakfast prepared, when is it you are told by hotel they do not have time for their guest!!!!

Choicehotels needs to seriously check into this hotel poorly ran, rude, inconsiderate of others, you had his wife there and she was never present during the entire process until myself and my fiance came to front desk then she was all mouthy talking about things that she was not even present when original conversation was started with the frontdesk guy, she should have never opened her mouth, she also said that we would have to wait on the commode being stopped they had to take care of the breezeways first.. That is so unacceptable we always have stayed at Choice Hotels 98% of the time but because of the way we were treated and also filing a complaint with ChoiceHotels is a joke. They allow these independent people run these hotels but yet they take no responsibilty for locations actions! Sending a survey to me is not resolving the problem we were told by customer service where we filed the complaint told us that the hotel send us a letter we never recieved any type of letter or a phone call what type of mess is that,

Everyone will know how we were treated by Choice Hotels and definitly about the hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
new orleans
Reviewed 22 September 2009

The pillows smelled like mildew... The MANAGER told us to use airfresher..Sugar ants on the counter top, and worst of all my two yr old found a condom wrapper under the bed. ..The manager's attitude sucked! In return we got a gift certificate for a dozen of free donuts from Krispy Kreme... I kid u not. Pass this Motel up! I wouldnt it to my worst enemy.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank lateshakc
Southwestern New Mexico
Reviewed 4 March 2006

Stayed at the Comfort Inn in Panama City, FL. on June 5th, 2005, the night before my Mother's funeral. It was a late check in (11PM) and we asked the desk clerk for a wake up call at 6am, and even mentioned to him the IMPORTANCE of this wake up call. We received NO WAKE UP CALL and ended up being half an hour LATE to my Mother's funeral!! Don't count on these people for wake up calls!!

4 Thank LuvMySoldier714