“Good Experience”

Courtyard Panama City
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I have to admit I was really nervous about going here because of the terrible recent reviews....I went so far as to look at a lot of other hotels, but there was no vacancy in town due to the Softball World Series. We stayed here expecting the worst and really got the best!! It was an unexpected surprise. We stayed in a King Suite...all of the rooms are newly renovated. They are beautiful...contempory grays, white and gold...the pictures on trip advisor are really old and are not accurate(thank goodness). The only issue was the sofa bed....we had 2 kids with us and the sofa bed is only a twin so one of the kids had to sleep on the floor. The king bed was really comfortable and the mini fridge was very useful (I was told there are mini fridges in all of the rooms). The staff was super nice and we were allowed to check in early...I would say ignore the other ugly reviews. Keep in mind though the lobby was still under construction....it may be noisy during the day until it is over and we were gone during the day at the ballpark so I can't comment on it. I was very relieved at how nice it was!

4  Thank PurdueGirl1127

Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here after a long night of driving from Atlanta. The lobby is being renovated, but the front desk attendant was very willing to make our stay enjoyable and our room was top notch. The renovations didn't impact us at all.

We would definitely stay here again and look forward to seeing the new look!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DannaGro1124
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We paid $200 for a room that was about thirty feet away from an area under major renovations (when we reserved the room in advance, no one told us that we were in the remodeling area)..The experience was HORRID, hammers banging, air compressors humming, and fine white dust was in the air, on the floors and on the lobby furniture...

When we complained to the desk clerk, the manager, the district manager and the Marriott customer service line, they all said that because we had booked the hotel through Priceline, there was nothing they could do to reduce the price of the room and refund some of our money on the spot.

We were never offered to be moved to a different room.

The manager at the hotel, Stephanie, was very rude to us. She kept saying there was nothing she could do (as we had requested to have the room rate reduced) because we booked through Priceline. Ridiculous, we didn't stay at Priceline. I even asked Stephanie if she was in our position if she would be upset, and she said yes. She totally agreed that we shouldn't of had to pay $200 for a room where we had to listen to tools all day long.

Get this, while we were sleeping on the 5th July, after being out on the 4th of July evening, the construction crew started banging their hammers at 8 in the morning.

When we called the general manager, Scott Hillman, he was rude as well, very rude. He said that we should have noticed that the hotel was under construction when we got there and that we could have gone somewhere else. Pathetic, we had booked this hotel a week in advance, to stay overnight on the 4th of July weekend. There were no other places to go. Scott also said there was nothing he could do to reduce the cost of the room, that we would have to take the matter up with Priceline.

The hotel was nice but the management was just downright rude.

They should not have charged us full price for our room.

3  Thank Jordy C
Scott H, General Manager at Courtyard Panama City, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. When you use a 3rd party for reservations as you stated, you have paid them. Unfortunately, we can't change anything with these reservations.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My dad and I stayed here July 4th after driving eight hours to get here. We arrived at 330pm and there was construction going on. We were not informed prior to our reservation here that there would be construction going on, or else I would I have booked a stay some where else weeks before July 4th. We were then woken up at 8 am the next morning. Which, was not okay. From what I said earlier, we were there July 4th, out at the beach watching fireworks and didn't get back until 130 am. No, I don't want to be woken up at 8 am on vacation. Scott, the GM, was very rude over the phone.( Had to call him a few days later, because there was not a manager at the hotel when we were there) He said to me, " SO, you didn't notice the construction going on when you first arrived?" Um, obviously yes I did, but where else were we supposed to go?! It was July 4th! We should have been moved to a different room. AND they should let people know before they arrive about the construction and not blame it on price line(that's where we reserved the room) Anyway, this was the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. I work in the hospitality industry and I would NEVER treat my guests the way these people treated my father and I. DON'T STAY HERE, unless you want to be treated poorly, then this is definitely the place for you. Don't get me wrong, the room was very nice, but if you want to spend 200 dollars on a nice room, go spend it at a different hotel. NOT worth 200$.

2  Thank MelChristo

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. When you use a 3rd party to book a room there is no contact information for guest except for the name. Unfortunately changes cannot be made. The is renovation alerts posted on Marriott's website.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I had the chance to stay there for 2 nights , well although is still in renovation, it is good I had the chance to stay at the 3rd floor at the new renovated room, it is only weird that as an hotel by marriott and focused to executives like me, business people they dont have a safety box in the room, so how about if we have things that we must keep on safety box, we only have there to leave it at the safety box at the reception , I have never had such kind of experience, although I was been traveling a lot all over the world. Beside it, the hotel is good, its breakfast is OK, the noise now is not good only. They should compensate the noise and the dust of the refurbishment with some discount on the price of the rooms.

Room Tip: Just stay on the renewed rooms only
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank clotilde_10
Reviewed 2 July 2014

That is what we were told when we arrived back to our hotel later in the night after a wedding. I went to take a shower and the water was brown! Called the front desk, she told me to leave the water running for about a hour in hopes, with the combined effort with everyone else that it would clean the system out quickly. This was around 11:30pm. At about 12:15ish we called back because the water was way worse. We were told the assistant manager would be calling us shortly to figure out what they could do for us. Never called! We went on to bed with brown and black grime and dirt all over the bottom of the tub from where the water ran. Even the toilet water was black. We had to be up early to make our way home, the water was fine but the tub was disgusting! We went on and checked out and I voiced my concerns over the water issue. The receptionist had "no clue" about the water and then said "Oh, when the city cleans out their system for some reason it makes our water brown". Then she had the audacity to tell me I, I should've called and had the maid clean it up. When?!?? 5:00 am after I was already up until 1:45-2:00am waiting on a assistant manager to call back and still dealing with water issues. She went on to tell us that they don't even have a assistant manager because that person quit. So we were lied to several times, my husband cannot get anyone in management to call him back. We left one number before we left and my husband called back two days later and still nothing. Hotel is a nice place. It was clean. We were just very, very unsatisfied with the water situation and the way we were treated in regards to that situation. If it is true about the city and that this has already happened before, beware!!! It will happen again. No one will warn you either.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank JS2317
Bones H, General Manager at Courtyard Panama City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

You indicated in your response the brown water was unsatisfactory. I agree with you. We world told by the city that if a fire happens close to the hotel and the fire hydrant is turned on it will stir up sediment in the pipes. I don't completely understand and trying to get a clearer answer to this. It has not lasted more than 20-30 minutes before and though I didn't see the color I was informed it was worse than unusual. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

Scott Hillman
cypanamacity@lbaproperties.com

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Everyone at the hotel worked hard to make sure all guests were happy. I also really love the beds. The new decor is a little funky and I am not fond of the oval couches in the king rooms, but overall, it is the best place in Panama City for a business traveler.

Room Tip: I'm not telling! I am going to keep that to myself....
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Emmette M

Thank you for the nice comments! They will be forwarded to the staff.