“Our bed was lumpy and sagged”

Hilton Garden Inn Panama City
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Negative reviews are my least favorite to write. This is especially true if I am not angry about some specific incident(s).

In this case, I just have to report our sleep experience (which is after all, very important). Our bed felt like an elephant had slept in it. My side sagged right were my backbone is suppose to go. My wife reported her side was also uncomfortable. We arrived back to our room late and did not realize the problem until we were crawling into bed. Too late to change room, plus they were full if I am not mistaken so I don’t know to where we could have moved.

Overall this is a very nice place, relatively new and we’ve stayed here before (rating it very high). I recommend they flip the mattress in room 313 or else replace it. Since ours may be the exception, reviewers will perhaps call this to their attention on their future says at the hotel. My wife would never agree to return. She holds a grudge.

I would also just like to vent (not the hotel’s fault) about people who hoard the luggage carts in their rooms. We waited 2 hours for one of the two carts to show up and then finally had to move everything to our car a few item at a time, making about 5 trips. We are in our 70’s and my wife just had surgery on her arm. I was pretty tired by the time we got everything packed. Someone should make a small electronic radio to attach to these dang carts so the hotel could find them when a hoarder gets hold of them. Of course, the hotel could have more carts but no doubt there are many more hoarders lurking about.

Room Tip: Just check your bed before you move all your luggage from your car.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 May 2012

Stayed here for one night and the room was average. The staff was nice and polite. The breakfast was reasonably priced and good. The only con I have is my room smelled like old cigarette smoke. If I would have stayed for more days I would have requested a move.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2012

This hotel is the BEST. My husband travels frequently to Panama City for business and he always stays at this hotel. He appreciates the comfortable friendly atmosphere. Travello Powells makes the best eggs! He is the chef. He can make an egg over medium better than I can at home. Diana is always there with a welcoming attitude. Slightest situation is always resolved quickly. Thanks Hilton Garden Inn. The rooms are very clean and the beds are super comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I enjoyed staying here but at 4:00 in the morning we heard garbage trucks pulling in to the mall behind us. For the trouble and disatisfaction they refunded us, and there customer servive was amazing! If you are a light sleeper just request to be placed in the front where it is less noisy. Next time we stay there we plan on doing so but we didn't know when we booked the hotel. Also the beds were kinda hard, then again we were on queens. If you like complementery breakfast then your out of luck, as breakfast cost $8:99 per person.

Room Tip: If you sleep light remember to ask for a room not backing up to the mall.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on a recent business trip and this is the first hotel that I can actually say I didn't feel rushed by the housekeeping department. We travel a lot and sometimes when housekeeping comes to clean your room and you aren't ready if you ask the housekeeper to come back they look like you have just ruined their whole day! They never tell you that you are bothering them- they just look like you are (sometimes even with rolled eyes)..but this trip was different and Rachel the housekeeper was by far the best housekeeper EVER! She came to my room and although I told her to come on in, since she saw I was blowdrying my hair she said she would come back. She didn't want to get in my way and she didn't mind! She came back later and checked on me and again I was a little busy so she came back Again! She was so friendly and not at all put out by me being in her way! I've never had a housekeeper that was so nice and accommodating and she did a Great job on my room! The staff was very friendly and the rooms were great. The breakfast also was wonderful and the cook even made blueberry pancakes for me! The breakfast had lots of choices including fresh fruit. We were recently in Panama City before this trip and we stayed at a different hotel and I wasn't very happy with that hotel- my husband remembered having stayed before at Hilton Garden and decided to take me there instead...I'm so glad he did! We won't be staying in any of the other hotels on our next stay, we will definitely go back to Hilton Garden Inn!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I stayed during spring break, so the hotel was booked to capacity. The only issues I had were due to the room not being ready at Checkin time, but that was understandable given it was peak season during spring break. I was given a different room, and from there everything was fine.
The rooms are up to date and consistent with what you would expect at a Hilton Hotel. The breakfast was awesome for the price, and the free wi-fi was fast and easy to use.
They have a pool that looked nice, but I chose the beach instead.
I definitely recommend this hotel if you don't mind being 10-15 minutes from the beach.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank ATL_World_Tour
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I was going to Panama City on business, beaches side. After disqualifying the hotels there due to content (e.g., the one that accepts pets except for pit bulls and Rottweilers) and placement (on Google satellite, they all look like they’re located on vacant lots), I opted for staying on the mainland, although it was out of my way. Of course, if you’re going to PC for the beaches, that’s a different story.

This in a good location, next to a mall and several chain restaurants. It you’re not going to the beach, there’s a pleasant park nearby right on the water where you can sit and watch the sun set.

This is almost an exact replica of the HGI in Lakewood NJ where I recently stayed, so my review is similar.

Very friendly, gracious, welcoming professional staff, right down the line to the maintenance man who gave me advice and directions to my business appointment. My last morning, as I left at an ungodly hour, the desk clerk took pity on me and gave me a yogurt and an apple from the kitchen, as the dining room wasn’t open yet.

The room is well furnished with fridge, cabinets, plenty of surface space on desk, shelf in bureau in lieu of one of the drawers (nifty!) Space between the bureau and the desk you can keep the ironing board if you want to leave it up or for any other junk you may happen to have. Ergonomic chair. Good quality TV that easily swivels so you can watch from wherever you are in the room.

Bathroom: very nice, fluffy towels, a fair amount of surface space for your personal body care items. Basic amenities: shampoo, soap, conditioner, lotion, decent brand. Sorry there is no shower cap. Bathroom light was dark. If you put on a lot of cosmetics, better be sure to ask for a well-lit bathroom.

This place is super clean. Carpet very new. Surfaces look like granite, classy. All design elements look like someone took a lot of care; and that they had good taste. However, incongruously for Florida, the art is an autumnal scene of turning leaves ...

Extra blankets and towels in the closet.

HVAC was a little loud. I actually had to turn it off to watch TV. The volume on one of the stations was blocked from being raised over a certain level. (?) Unlike many hotels, they provide a list of channels, so you don't have to keep scrolling through. My personal appreciation is that they have TCM, which I don't encounter too often in hotels.

The bed has a feature where you can dial the hardness you want. It takes a while to adjust itself once you’ve set it. I suggest taking care of this when you arrive. I found the “optimum” setting a little hard for my taste.

(A caveat at this location: not all the rooms have been converted to these newer mattresses. My original room had an old saggy mattress; I was cheerfully moved to a room with a new mattress; be sure you request a new-mattressed room, at least if you’re going close to the date of this review.)

I used the quiet business center to check emails and print my boarding pass. You use your pass card to get in so it is “open” 24-7.

A terrific and inexpensive breakfast spread served in a congenial setting. Nice common area with comfortable seating.

I have been so dismayed over the years at the uncomfortable road hotels that I've been forced to stay in. I am so glad that I've found the HGI. Hopefully, the brand is consistent. Stay tuned ...

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room with the new mattress during the current time period while they are upgrad...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business