“Disgraceful service, horrible rooms”

Village of South Walton by Oaseas Resorts
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We arrived at 730pm and no one was at the desk to check in. I called the number for customer service and they said they would get the key...but lost the reservation...10 min later they found the reservation but couldn't figure our how to get the key to me. I was shuffled around to three different departments where no one answered so i left measages and called back. when someone did answer they told me they'd get right on it and i never heard from or saw them again. After another HOUR AND A HALF, where I had to keep calling to remind them I was waiting for a key...I finally talked to a manager, Elaine, who was unbelievably rude and told me I would have to pay another $124 for the room as a "cleaning fee and risk waiver", or I could find somewhere else to stay. She never even apologized for our wait time. So after forking over more than the cost of one night in the horrible, small, hot (AC didn't work) room, we were finally given a code for the lock box we sat in front of for 90+ min.

Kayla in customer service is the only positive I have to report about this place, she was kind and tried to help, though not to any avail.

Checkout is at 10 am and late check out is offered for $17.50/hr (w/ 12 hrs advance notice) or $21/hr.

Bottom line: don't fall for the 'super saver' deals for this place bc the surprise charges are lurking behind that price. Place is not worth the price and they management should be ashamed of their employees customer service. I have stayed at Rosemary Beach often and would rather have paid a little more (really not much more at the end of the day) and stayed somewhere people are courteous, helpful, and prepared for late arrivals.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank mkm828

Reviewed 4 March 2013

How is this company allowed to ambush-charge you with damage waiver/cleaning fees of $122+ after their unit is booked through a Super Savings offer on a major booking website?!?!? Shocked to see it was not just me. 50% mark-up on the "discount" rate offered by Hotwire.com. The room was dinky, with a clanking heater-A/C unit, one miniature trash can, and windows on one wall that opened onto a walkway (no privacy) and the empty parking lot beyond.

The "front desk" wasn't manned for a single second of the time we were there, and the smoking maintenance guy showed up to the room in the middle of the afternoon of the second day of our stay to drop off the linens for the "next" people...which I had to put under the bed...

Check-in was an ordeal in itself. They have a red "bat-phone" that should connect you directly to a rep if you check in "after hours" (it was 4:00 p.m.). Naturally, that phone didn't work, and I had to jump through hoops on an emergency number to get in touch with the brusk lady from Oaseas to be held over a barrel to pay the "damage waiver/cleaning" fee just to get a key on the non-refundable room I'd already booked. Highway robbery.

These people should be ashamed of themselves. Will not use this company or Hotwire again.

Room Tip: You don't get a choice. Don't go here!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank James L
Reviewed 12 October 2012

The studio unit we stayed in was such a disappointment. Stained wall-to-wall carpet, sandy bath mats, clunky wall unit a/c that made noises all night long, out-dated decor, no box mattress cover, thin sheets and stinky comforter. We had originally planned to stay two nights but cut the trip short to one due to the nature of this unit. I have a feeling many of the units in the buildings here are poorly taken care of and are in need of updating. You get what you pay for here, by the way. I would highly recommend that you save your money to stay at a reputable place such as Rosemary Beach, Watersound, etc. The only redeeming quality here is the wonderful customer service agent at Oaseas who did not decline my request to credit the second night that was charged on my credit card. After explaining my reason for wanting to leave after the first night, the representative was cordial and understanding.

Problems, continued:

- staff at the large pool was grumpy toward my kids
- loud patrons beneath our 2nd floor windows

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank carterkeenan
OaseasResortsGM, Public Relations Manager at Village of South Walton by Oaseas Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Thank you for your feedback, which I have shared with my team. We take pride in our property upkeep and feel we provide good value given our central location and extensive facilities. Clearly, this was not your impression and for that we offer our apologies. Rest assured that I will follow up with maintenance and housekeeping to address your concerns. I was particularly happy to read your comments about our guest service agent. We strive to have the best customer service and I am delighted that you were impressed. Thank you again for your comments.

Faith Stephens
Director of Customer Care

Reviewed 18 August 2012

My, my. Where to begin? Incompetent staff? Stained linens? Noisy air conditioner? No light in kitchen? Sand on floor? This place is poorly constructed and maintained. The room decor is "first apartment out of college" and straight from Target. The hideously fake plants haven't been dusted since opening. You have to take a TRAM to the pool which is at ANOTHER resort! If you have ever stayed at any other place on 30A, you will hate this place. If you haven't, you won't come back and that is a shame. Avoid the "Villages."

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Tia P
OaseasResortsGM, Public Relations Manager at Village of South Walton by Oaseas Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

I have reviewed your concerns with the appropriate staff and we have taken corrective actions because of the dissatisfaction you faced during your stay with us. We always strive to achieve and surpass our guests’ expectations, and for failing to meet yours we are truly sorry.

If your travel plans ever again bring you to the South Walton area, please give us an opportunity to serve your needs and change your opinion.

Oaseas Resorts

Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed the week after 4th of July, we were in the room for an hour, the kids were playing on the floor in the master bedroom and were black from the knees down from the dirty floors. We complained and they came back up and cleaned but it didn't help. We were told that this is normal in a rental property which is just not true.

Be cautious of the shuttle as well, they only have one driver and if he does not show up it is a hike to the beach and the pool and there is no alternative... apparently there is only one person that can drive a golf cart.

Also be careful of the charges, they charge a non-refundable $40 damage waiver and $133.80 cleaning fee when you check in.

The good - It is a great area, very family oriented and great shops and restaurants. The main pool is fantastic and a great place to relax and spend the day. The beaches are a little crowded but that's to be expected, if you can manage a short walk (700-1000 yards) you can sit right on the water or they have beach chairs available for rent for $25 a day for two chairs and an umbrella and you're right on the water.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Jason L
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We just checked out yesterday (a day early) because the odor in the room was so bad and the carpets are so dirty we could not stand it any longer. A place with rates this high should replace carpet and clean more through. We left the window open the entire time we were there but it did not help.

Room Tip: ask to be put anywhere but building H
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Tina H
Reviewed 2 June 2012

We booked a one bedroom condo for three nights via Oaseas Resorts. Upon arrival we found a clean, well appointed property with a wonderful pool. Many outstanding restaurants and shops are within walking distance of this scenic area. The only problem we encountered was locating the office for check-in.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
#10 of 48 in Panama City Beach
Comfort Inn And Suites Panama City
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Panama City - Tyndall
Hampton Inn & Suites Panama City Beach-Beachfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Panama City...
#1 of 48 in Panama City Beach
23 mi away
Holiday Inn  Panama City
Holiday Inn Panama City
#1 of 31 in Panama City

Been to Village of South Walton by Oaseas Resorts? Share your experiences!