“Clean, adequate, but LOTS of hidden fees” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Village of South Walton by Oaseas Resorts

Village of South Walton by Oaseas Resorts
Columbus, Georgia
“Clean, adequate, but LOTS of hidden fees”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I decided at the last minute we wanted to go to the beach, so our rental options were very limited. We found a studio unit at the Village of South Walton through Oaseas on Booking.com, loved the location and price, and booked. The property itself is in a great location. The unit was adequate, and exactly what was described in the description. We didn't have any problems with the staff like some of the other reviewers did. Our key was in the lock-box, and we didn't have any problems checking in. We did try to call their Customer Care to check out since the office was closed, but no one picked up, so I hope that doesn't come back to bite us!

In regards to the hidden fees... They are pretty ridiculous. When we booked the unit, the total was $98/night, and that's all we were charged at the time. We knew it didn't include sales tax, resort fee, and city tax - Booking.com was pretty clear on that. However, we did the math, determined that all of those "extras" should only be $98 and we booked anyway. When we went to pay that $98, it had increased to $153... We were charged a $10 reservation fee, a $10 registration fee, a $56 cleaning fee, a $45 non-refundable limited damage waiver, and $32 in taxes. If you are going to book through Oaseas, you should be aware of all the hidden fees.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ashley M

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Memphis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

We checked in a few hours ago. There was no one at the office and it took several phone calls before anyone answered the phone to tell us the code for the box which supposedly had our room key. When someone finally answered and gave us the code, we opened the box and there were no keys. After driving 10 hours, we had to wait for 20 minutes for someone to drive from Panama City to bring a key. Our room is above a restaurant and we can hear music from downstairs. We asked for a third floor room but were given one on the second floor. The 12,000 square foot pool is nowhere to be found - apparently it is actually at another resort and you have to ride a tram to get to it (according to another review). The second and third bedrooms are ridiculously small and have mattresses that have absolutely no cushion whatsoever. You can feel every spring and there is no padding for my children to sleep on. We have been to Rosemary Beach several times and this is definitely the worst place we've ever stayed here and we will never stay here again. I so wish we had read the other reviews before booking here!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BMemphis_13

Travellers are raving about these Panama City hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

To be honest, I am not sure where to begin, as I have thought about what to say here for some time. Ok, first of all, I have to 100% agree with complaints about customer service by Oaseas Resorts.

They really need to "get it together".

There was nobody at the check in desk and when I went to get my pool passes... well, let's just say that I had to lie to "Randy(the pool Seacrest guy)" and tell him Oaseas is bringing me one. I never got it. I called and was told the office opens at 10am, but I checked back at 1130 and I called again to be told that the office opens at 1pm. I went back and guess what!!?? Yep, nobody was there! No pool passes and I better not get charged for them either!

Fees for Damage Waiver - Issue here! I know how the damage waiver for insurance works (I actually have one in my possession that an owner did buy correctly) and it's sad that Oaseas has decided to "pocket this money" and not actually get the waiver. That's all I am saying there. They are suppose to get your signature on the waiver, but guests, as I, never see a printed out version with terms of the actual waiver. It doesn't exist because Oaseas doesn't buy it. Future guests should probably read up on the actual waiver terms of a real one to understand how it works.

A/C - Major issue here. It is a noisy unit, it's a Mitsubishi Mini-Split and the condensation on the carpets and mold that was inside of this unit was really unbearable for me, but I was only there for 2 nights.

Leaky Toilet, Popcorn in the Kitchenette area, Black Carpets, - really bad!

I think the worse part of these complaints online is the owners of their unit probably have no idea how Oaseas treats their paying guests or more importantly their condo! I pray that Unit 236B of the Village of South Walton goes to better management.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ReviewerT
Lake Charles, Louisiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

We booked this room through Travelocity less than a week before our planned arrival. We were excited to have found such a great deal in the knick of time. The surrounding area is beautiful. There are plenty of shops and restaurants, and the beach is quiet. But, to our dismay, this resort was an unholy mess. For the amount of money we threw away due to the surprise damage waiver, cleaning fees, and other charges, we could have stayed in a MUCH nicer room directly on the beach. Our studio room was more like a shanty shack. Perhaps the worst part of the trip was that the AC was broken, which kept our room at a constant temperature of 88 degrees Fahrenheit - significantly hotter than the temperature outdoors. We will never stay with Oaseas Resorts again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Abby C
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

We arrived at 730pm and no one was at the desk to check in. I called the number for customer service and they said they would get the key...but lost the reservation...10 min later they found the reservation but couldn't figure our how to get the key to me. I was shuffled around to three different departments where no one answered so i left measages and called back. when someone did answer they told me they'd get right on it and i never heard from or saw them again. After another HOUR AND A HALF, where I had to keep calling to remind them I was waiting for a key...I finally talked to a manager, Elaine, who was unbelievably rude and told me I would have to pay another $124 for the room as a "cleaning fee and risk waiver", or I could find somewhere else to stay. She never even apologized for our wait time. So after forking over more than the cost of one night in the horrible, small, hot (AC didn't work) room, we were finally given a code for the lock box we sat in front of for 90+ min.

Kayla in customer service is the only positive I have to report about this place, she was kind and tried to help, though not to any avail.

Checkout is at 10 am and late check out is offered for $17.50/hr (w/ 12 hrs advance notice) or $21/hr.

Bottom line: don't fall for the 'super saver' deals for this place bc the surprise charges are lurking behind that price. Place is not worth the price and they management should be ashamed of their employees customer service. I have stayed at Rosemary Beach often and would rather have paid a little more (really not much more at the end of the day) and stayed somewhere people are courteous, helpful, and prepared for late arrivals.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank mkm828
Mobile, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

How is this company allowed to ambush-charge you with damage waiver/cleaning fees of $122+ after their unit is booked through a Super Savings offer on a major booking website?!?!? Shocked to see it was not just me. 50% mark-up on the "discount" rate offered by Hotwire.com. The room was dinky, with a clanking heater-A/C unit, one miniature trash can, and windows on one wall that opened onto a walkway (no privacy) and the empty parking lot beyond.

The "front desk" wasn't manned for a single second of the time we were there, and the smoking maintenance guy showed up to the room in the middle of the afternoon of the second day of our stay to drop off the linens for the "next" people...which I had to put under the bed...

Check-in was an ordeal in itself. They have a red "bat-phone" that should connect you directly to a rep if you check in "after hours" (it was 4:00 p.m.). Naturally, that phone didn't work, and I had to jump through hoops on an emergency number to get in touch with the brusk lady from Oaseas to be held over a barrel to pay the "damage waiver/cleaning" fee just to get a key on the non-refundable room I'd already booked. Highway robbery.

These people should be ashamed of themselves. Will not use this company or Hotwire again.

Room Tip: You don't get a choice. Don't go here!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank James L
Lookout Mountain, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

The studio unit we stayed in was such a disappointment. Stained wall-to-wall carpet, sandy bath mats, clunky wall unit a/c that made noises all night long, out-dated decor, no box mattress cover, thin sheets and stinky comforter. We had originally planned to stay two nights but cut the trip short to one due to the nature of this unit. I have a feeling many of the units in the buildings here are poorly taken care of and are in need of updating. You get what you pay for here, by the way. I would highly recommend that you save your money to stay at a reputable place such as Rosemary Beach, Watersound, etc. The only redeeming quality here is the wonderful customer service agent at Oaseas who did not decline my request to credit the second night that was charged on my credit card. After explaining my reason for wanting to leave after the first night, the representative was cordial and understanding.

Problems, continued:

- staff at the large pool was grumpy toward my kids
- loud patrons beneath our 2nd floor windows

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank carterkeenan
OaseasResortsGM, Public Relations Manager at Village of South Walton by Oaseas Resorts, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Thank you for your feedback, which I have shared with my team. We take pride in our property upkeep and feel we provide good value given our central location and extensive facilities. Clearly, this was not your impression and for that we offer our apologies. Rest assured that I will follow up with maintenance and housekeeping to address your concerns. I was particularly happy to read your comments about our guest service agent. We strive to have the best customer service and I am delighted that you were impressed. Thank you again for your comments.

Faith Stephens
Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse
Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse
#1 of 1 in Grayton Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Panama City Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Panama City B...
#2 of 48 in Panama City Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,453 reviews

Been to Village of South Walton by Oaseas Resorts? Share your experiences!