“"Rockin it "Old School at the Chateau"”
Review of Chateau Motel

Chateau Motel
Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in Panama City Beach
Mountain Brook, Alabama
“"Rockin it "Old School at the Chateau"”
Reviewed 9 September 2012

This is THE place to stay if you're from Birm area -"those who know, go to the Chateau" ( they sell these shirts there very cheap! I read the bad review and was moved to say that the 70's " feel" is on purpose because most of us that grew up going to PCB stayed there when we were kids and miracle strip was still there, etc! Itis one of the few remaining and I Stay no where else! If I travel elsewhere I stay at Westin and luxury hotels ( 5 star normally ) , but to be honest the feel of the Chateau is hard to get at another hotel! I am very impressed with the staff- there's an awesome lady that works the night desk and I drank coffee with her lots! It's family oriented -to a point- they still have some drunks, but hey it's PCB ! ( across the street is a liguor store that sells daiquiris so if you are a light drinker it's pretty convenient-it's near all the "old school " stuff and they do not have nasty bed linens!! In fact the orange soaps are just unbelievable! ( they have a orange pomegranate sloughing stuff in them-I always pack em up for home and they are better than any 5star hotel "goodie" ! What I love is there are irons in the room, all useful stuff (I rent a normal room no kitchenette) Also they enforce quiet after 10 by tvs not going above a certain limit but the main draw is the people are friendly, guests and especially staff!! They have security , too!
The OnLY prob is the parking and that is easily fixed by walking, bc everything is great near there and daytime parking isn't bad at all( I last stayed in July 2012- when they are always booked up)
The best pool bc hotel curves around it and they keep this place spotless!! In fact there are so many maids it's a bit overkill!!
( think I'll call now, I'm homesick for it! and NO I'm not " friends" nor do I know the owner! so I can't understand what in the world happened with this bad reviewer bc I know that they would gladly have moved you or bent over backwards to fix any " stinky linens" )

Room Tip: I stayed last in a single facing road ( bc they were booked) 403? and liked it so much for a solo...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Alison W
Ms. Allison,

Thank you so much for your kind comments and sharing all your good experiences at the Chateau with others. We are glad that you like our amenities in the guest rooms and we are pleased with the customer response that we receive from using these soaps. Sometimes the parking can be a little of a challenge but there is plenty of parking for all guest rooms and overflow parking very nearby.

I hope that you bought your t-shirt "those who know" and I would like you to know that we now have some that say "kickin' it old school' so I was very excited when I read the heading on your review.

Thank you for all your kind comments about our staff and the cleanliness of the hotel and most of all thank you for letting others know about your experience at the Chateau.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed 4 September 2012

The Chateau was a family-friendy wonderful stay! My husband and our 2 children arrived late about 12.00 a.m. We were tired and was suspecting maybe staying for 1 night the lobby was clean and roomy and the night staff were pleased to help us with everything I was starting to have second thoughts on staying for one night only, the rooms were nice and there were no problems the next morning. We decided to stay the whole week My Family and I recommend the Chateau for everyone in the PCB area!

Room Tip: Look for rooms that are high-populated in your area.
3 Thank iluvcilla
D H, Manager at Chateau Motel, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences with us. We are glad that you made that first night choice to be the Chateau and give us an opportunity to become your family place in Panama City Beach. We look forward to many future visits from you and your friends and family. We will be here waiting to welcome you.
fountain flo
Reviewed 29 August 2012

It was our tenth wedding anniversery, and we called ahead and made reservations before hand. Had let Gsr know that it is was our special night! So we get to the room, and it was so clean and because of our comment regarding our anniversery, there was Swan shaped towels on the bed kissing,..so cute and so sweet of them to make our night so special, there was also a card wishing us joy and happiness. What a thougthful gesture for a local couple. Thats not all, we requested a room beachside, gsr told us that one was not available, but when we went to room it was beachside. So if you like to feel welcome this is the place to go.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
D H, Manager at Chateau Motel, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are glad that you made the choice to stay with us on your 10th wedding anniversary. Congratulations. We hope that you make the Chateau an annual event! We will pass your comments on to all of our staff. Thank you for choosing us.
Opelika, Alabama
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Our grown children have been staying at the Chateau and recommended it to us as an less expensive but clean and friendly place to stay in PCB. We took our teenage children who live with their mother in Minneapolis to the beach for the 1st time, they had never been to a beach and not having an unlimited budget we decided to try the Chateau. Although the motel is 50 years old we were pleasantly suprised!! Due to my husband and my respiratory issues we did not make reservations as we wanted to go into the room 1st to see if we were going to be affected. The 1st room we went into had had some heavy smokers previously, although the motel rooms are non smoking the management cannot control what people do in 150 rooms. The desk clerk was very happy to let us enter other rooms so we could see if our breathing was going to be affected. We were given the key to room 429 which has tile instead of carpet, the room was especially clean and fresh smelling, and no hint of having a smoker in it. The kitchenette was very clean and had all the things we needed to have a meal in the room. The room was perfect, an awesome view and the staff could not have been more friendly, kind, and helpful. The grounds were clean, the beach beautiful, plenty of lounge chairs for all, nice pool, and a movie night by the pool on Saturday night. Every time we needed more towels, a trip to the office and that need was taken care of no questions asked. I have read other reviews about the Chateau and saw the complaints about the multiple floors and no elevator. Even with severe breathing difficulties the way in which the motel is built does not mean climbing 4 flights of stairs tho we were on the 4th floor, the parking level is the 3rd floor level which meant one flight of stairs up. The pool level is on the 2nd floor and the cabanas ont the beach level. The stairs were not an issue for us, and the staff is very happy to help carry your luggage to your room if necessary. The beach and pool cams allowed the kid's mother to go to the motel website and see the kids having blast on the beach and pool. We appreciated our stay at the Chateau and loved the "old PCB" feeling of the mom and pop home away from home. We look forward to our next stay ... hmmm wish it were tomorrow!!! If I had any comment I would have liked to have a broom in the area where the ironing board is, it would be nice to sweep the sand from the tile floors. So pleased, Thank you Chateau!

Room Tip: Room 429 is our favorite, outside corner room, very quiet, tile floors, large window and balcony wit...
2 Thank Daventoy
PCNICK, General Manager at Chateau Motel, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
I am very pleased that you and your children had a great time while staying at the Chateau Motel. I am very thankful for you in depth evaluation of my property. I would like to inform you that we have order the brooms and dust pans for our guest rooms. I very much look forward to having you stay with us again.
Hanceville, Alabama
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We have recently returned to our home in Alabama after a two day stay at your motel and an extended stay in Central Florida. To say that we were disappointed with our accommodations at the Chateau would be an understatement. My wife requested a room on the beach and was given a room overlooking the pool. The noise made by the kids and the night movies was very disturbing. We were initially given Room 309 but that room was totally unacceptable. Everything was damp in the room to include furniture, bed linens, and even the carpet. The solution by your staff was to move us to Room 310 which was a minor improvement. When we checked out on Saturday morning, 08/11/12, our hanging clothes were damp. The first night we noticed a "howling" sound like the wind blowing but figured it must be coming off the gulf. It made sleep difficult so my wife got up and discovered about an inch gap at the bottom of the entrance door. She eliminated the sound by stuffing a large bath towel under the door. The gap was large enough to allow a snake to crawl into the room. My wife had a 14k gold medical alert (free bleeder) charm that came up missing. She initially thought she had lost the charm and reported this to management, but then remembered leaving it in the room prior to us going out. The charm was never found. The management on duty did not act all that interested concerning the situation. To be honest with you, we would not stay at the Chateau again nor would we recommend it to friends or family.

Jim & Yonnie Manley
Hanceville, AL

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Yonnie M
I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us was disappointing. I can ensure you that I will take every step necessary to eliminate the undesirable issues that occurred during your stay. The only movies that we show are G rated Disney movies, however if our guest find them to be disturbing, I will cancel the program. I sincerely hope that you find the free bleeder charm. Items reported missing or taken from rooms are often found as guest return home and unpack their bags, I hope the same proves to be true for you.

Travellers are raving about these Panama City Beach hotels

Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed 26 August 2012

This motel was perfect, price was right and the VIEW was AWESOME. I found The Chateau to be clean, comfortable, within easy access of lots of thing's to do,and affordable. All the staff we came in contact with were very polite and helpful. This was our first visit to Florida and I'm so glad we chose to go the Panama City Beach and The Chateau Motel, We will be back, Thanks for a great vacation!!!! 08/12/12 - 08/18/2012

Room Tip: The first level i right on the beach, with great views and easy access to beach and pool on second l...
1 Thank racing12003
Thank you so much for your kind words. It is always very gratifying to know that my customers are having a wonderful experience, in Panama City Beach, while staying at the Chateau Motel. I truly hope that you will come visit us again.
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed at The Château for the first time on 8/17/12 and was just looking for a clean, value priced place to stay for a weekend trip. They let us book for only 2 nights, unlike the motel we normally stay at, which was convenient. The staff was very friendly and helpful, even more so than where we usually stay. The rooms are anything but glamorous but, again, we were just looking for clean, which it was for the most part. Everything was fine until the day we left when a horrible rainstorm came through, and without a gutter system, the water was rolling off the building like waterfalls and drenching the covered walkways. We were in a cabana room which is the lowest level right on the beach, and the stairwell coming up to the pool deck was another waterfall. We had water up to our ankles trying to grab our luggage, and my husband decided to put his swimsuit on just to take our soaked belongings to the car to prevent his clothes from becoming soaked with the water runoff. They NEED to get this fixed!! My suggestion is to stay on the 3rd level which is the parking level so that you can back up to the door if it was raining this badly. Other than this disaster, the Château was fairly decent if you are on a budget.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank jackie5981
I would like to thank you for staying at the Chateau Motel and for taking the time to inform us about your stay. I take customer feed back seriously and I look to improve upon any and every aspect with in my ability to improve customer satisfaction. We are currently undergoing a room by room renovation of the property to increase the quality of our rooms. Due to the style of the Chateau's building, a gutter system is not feasible ; however, I am planning to install additional covered walk ways to ensure your weathering experience will be avoidable upon your next stay.