“Very Disappointing, stay somewhere else.”
Review of Chateau Motel

Chateau Motel
Ranked #30 of 48 Hotels in Panama City Beach
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Trip Advisor to me, is one of the trusted online places I personally depend on for my decision making for my travel reservations. This time the reviews really let me down. Next time I will read on before making any reservation based on a quick check as I did and also saw they won a trip advisor award this year. Totally disappointing!

Unfortunately when I booked this motel in a hurry one night, I had only read the first page of reviews before I made my online booking. What a mistake that was, live and learn!

I was very very disappointed with my accommodations; I had booked a cabana room on the beach, which I did receive. Upon arrival, I was greeted nicely by the front desk staff and check in went smooth and fast, although I did find it a bit odd they have you initial a paper with 4 or 5 things on it that you must read and acknowledge, one being there is NO REFUND for early checkouts if you decide to leave for any reason (so keep this in mind, as this is important later you will see why).

Normally I book a condo for a week but I was only staying a few days on my way back from my birthday celebration elsewhere and wanted to enjoy a few days at the beach on my way home.

Pictures from a distance are certainly deceiving. The online pictures of the rooms, etc. make it look nice and clean, etc. but close up, when you are actually THERE, you can see all the stains on the bed sheets, the worn, tattered bed linens, and these things are very outdated, worn, my bed blanket had holes in it and the other blanket I'd never even think of putting up on me, as there were hairs all over it! The sheets when I pulled them up over my head, were so thin you could see thru them. And the bed sheets had a foul odor to the point where I could not get to sleep for the longest time and even after I checked out I swear I still had that odor in my nose for hours! It was awful, I don't know what it was, but it certainly grossed me out.

We had a room with 2 beds, and the mattresses were very old and worn, and even bowed!! Mine was the worst, it dipped down very bad in the middle and was very noticeable from the start. The one bed had pieces of foam falling from it onto the floor. (I have pics I am going to post as a follow up.)

I then wondered what I got myself into. It was late, it was rainy and I was tired from driving all day to get there. So for the night I decided to try to make the most of it and ride it out.

The rooms are now smoke free (I am to understand it wasn't that way before; I don't smoke, so no problem); but it's way too late for that in my mind, because the smoky, musty stale smoke odor is still in the rooms and carpet, drapes, etc. and it is gross.

Outside of my room, I sat on the patio and you could see everywhere you looked, cigarette butts everywhere in the sand on the beach; it's like a giant cigarette butt litter box outside of the beachfront rooms. Sad that people have to throw it out there like that and can't pick up after themselves.

The carpet in the room is so old and dirty, you can no longer tell what color it used to be. It's the worst motel carpet I've ever laid eyes on! The whole time I was there I kept my shoes on, there is no way I'd walk in bare feet or even socks on that grossly dirt laden carpet! (I took photos of this too and will post). If you have kids, please don't let them on that yucky carpet!

There's an ancient iron (it's super old, worn, and probably the oldest dirtiest iron I've ever seen in my life) and an ironing board of the same quality, to go with it. They appear to be as old as the hotel. There's a super old hairdryer, all excessively clogged may I add, with other people's hair and that was gross. Another one of those "old as the hotel" looking items.

The acoustical tile ceiling, wow that was awful, it was all sagging, each tile was tattered, stained, or falling, and you felt like you were staying in somebody's old cramped, messy, musty, stale smoke odor riddled basement; and over by the bathroom there was one of the tiles that was lifted up into the rafters and anything could have crawled in thru there I am sure! I didn't see any bugs thankfully, but trust me, I sure expected some and had my eyes out for them. If I had seen any, I would have been at that front desk pronto for a check out. That would have done it for me.

The rooms certainly lack style and charm. It's just a basement feel and very dingy at that.

Door to our room, oh that lovely door that I quickly learned to hate. First off it was very dirty and messy on the inside and was the dirtiest door inside of a room I've ever seen. Looks like it needed a good cleaning for many years now. And it would not close! It would not latch, and it would NOT LOCK!!!! The chain on the door was missing, and those things aren't worth much anyways for safety. I kept slamming and slamming and slamming the door trying to get it to shut and stay shut; finally after about 10 minutes I got it to shut and finally lock, then I wondered if I would be able to get out in the morning. Thankfully I did but the door shutting/locking issue needs addressed; guest safety lacking on this issue really raised my eyebrows.

The room has very little electrical outlets, so bring an extension cord if you are bringing a laptop or something; as there's nothing near the table, the closest outlet is over at the refrigerator/microwave area across the room. Speaking of the refrigerator, it was old, dirty and had some hair I had to wipe out of it, but I must say it was ice cold! And the microwave I'd not even think of touching, as it was all slimy/smeary on the outside and I wasn't going to open it to even see what was on the inside! Hadn't been cleaned in forever by its' appearance.

The motel is older yes, and I was aware of that when I booked it; but is also very very run down and in need of some improvements desperately. They have a great location and would have a great place if they would remodel the rooms and put some capital into it.

If you are staying on the lower levels you have to walk past these low light, murky water laden hallways to get to the other sets of stairs that you have to go down to get to your room. At the time of our arrival it was raining, and all the walkways and stairs were very slippery; and the hallway area near laundry and maintenance after the 1st set of stairs, had water running from overhead down onto you.

I have to point out that there are a few good things about this place, one is that the A/C was so cold we almost froze (however this was because it would not adjust and was evidently broken while set on the lowest temperature); the front desk staff was friendly and efficient; and the maid I encountered was very friendly and nice and so was her gentleman helper. The next morning as I was leaving it was pouring down rain and he offered to help me with my luggage, and saw me having an issue trying to close the motel room door so he stopped. He told me not to worry about the door, it's "always like that". In my mind, I just shook my head in disgust over the non closing/latching door. I couldn't wait to get out of there and on the road to home.

And yes, I left, the very next morning. I felt compelled to stay there our very first night since it was paid for and all and we gave it a chance; but I couldn't even envision staying there another night. I knew to talk to them about the situation would do no good, they know what the situation is with their hotel I am sure; and checking out early I'd get no refund; (remember they have you initial that paper I mentioned earlier to this effect!) so I cut my losses and just went home.

Let it be known I have never in my life, left the beach early.....and this is the very first time in my life that I did. Couldn't get out of there fast enough!

They do have on site laundry, the location is great right on the beach, the employees we encountered were nice; but over all this place really needs gutted and remodeled, and I would certainly NOT recommend it for anyone nor will I return. Save yourself and go stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Any room NOT in this hotel would be great
5  Thank FunTraveler444
D H, Manager at Chateau Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. Sometimes we do not always like to hear the bad things but we do use them as a tool to improve. We appreciate your kind comments about the staff and will pass your review on to them.

We understand the issues surrounding the rain and some of this we can not control. However, we will do our best to address the issues that we can. We also take guest concerns very seriously and do our best to resolve any issues immediately when brought to our attention.

Again, that you for letting us know about your recent experience.

There are newer reviews for Chateau Motel

Reviewed 11 September 2012

I booked this place based on the Trip Advisor reviews and award they received. My first impression was the hallways. They were dark and dingy and had water all on the floors and water dripping from the ceiling from the upper floors. Then, of course, there are no elevators, so if you had a room or "Cabana" by the beach, you had to walk down several flights of stairs with your luggage to get to your room. That could be over looked as this is an old hotel. But once I got to my room, all was not okay! The carpet, bed linens and blankets were very worn, stained and old. The ceiling panels were warped and sagging and the mattress was bowed and also sagging and looked like it had been slept in for the last 40 years. I had a hard time staying here when we arrived, but we had no other place to go and already paid money for the room, so we figured we would stay and make the best of it. The room appeared clean on the surface (excluding the carpet and blankets) and I saw no bugs, but I was looking for them. The door had to be slammed several times before it would lock and this would be every time I closed it. In fact, on the morning I left, it would no even shut, let alone lock!! The sheets had such an odor that it actually woke me up and I could not get back to sleep! I actually felt so nasty in my room that I walked around with socks on and slept fully clothed! And I cleaned the tub before I took my shower!!! The next day I decided to leave, even though I paid for more than 1 night. This hotel has a 7 day cancellation policy, so I lost 1 night stay. I understand it is by the beach, but I have stayed at other beach hotels that are right on the beach and paid the same rate and they were nice. I will say that the staff was very nice. But I would never stay here again!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank thebutcherswife4

Thank your for your kind comments about our staff. We strive to make our guests as comfortable as possible and if a guest has any concerns that they bring to our attention we do our very best to resolve these to the guest satisfaction.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

This is THE place to stay if you're from Birm area -"those who know, go to the Chateau" ( they sell these shirts there very cheap! I read the bad review and was moved to say that the 70's " feel" is on purpose because most of us that grew up going to PCB stayed there when we were kids and miracle strip was still there, etc! Itis one of the few remaining and I Stay no where else! If I travel elsewhere I stay at Westin and luxury hotels ( 5 star normally ) , but to be honest the feel of the Chateau is hard to get at another hotel! I am very impressed with the staff- there's an awesome lady that works the night desk and I drank coffee with her lots! It's family oriented -to a point- they still have some drunks, but hey it's PCB ! ( across the street is a liguor store that sells daiquiris so if you are a light drinker it's pretty convenient-it's near all the "old school " stuff and they do not have nasty bed linens!! In fact the orange soaps are just unbelievable! ( they have a orange pomegranate sloughing stuff in them-I always pack em up for home and they are better than any 5star hotel "goodie" ! What I love is there are irons in the room, all useful stuff (I rent a normal room no kitchenette) Also they enforce quiet after 10 by tvs not going above a certain limit but the main draw is the people are friendly, guests and especially staff!! They have security , too!
The OnLY prob is the parking and that is easily fixed by walking, bc everything is great near there and daytime parking isn't bad at all( I last stayed in July 2012- when they are always booked up)
The best pool bc hotel curves around it and they keep this place spotless!! In fact there are so many maids it's a bit overkill!!
( think I'll call now, I'm homesick for it! and NO I'm not " friends" nor do I know the owner! so I can't understand what in the world happened with this bad reviewer bc I know that they would gladly have moved you or bent over backwards to fix any " stinky linens" )

Room Tip: I stayed last in a single facing road ( bc they were booked) 403? and liked it so much for a solo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Alison W

Ms. Allison,

Thank you so much for your kind comments and sharing all your good experiences at the Chateau with others. We are glad that you like our amenities in the guest rooms and we are pleased with the customer response that we receive from using these soaps. Sometimes the parking can be a little of a challenge but there is plenty of parking for all guest rooms and overflow parking very nearby.

I hope that you bought your t-shirt "those who know" and I would like you to know that we now have some that say "kickin' it old school' so I was very excited when I read the heading on your review.

Thank you for all your kind comments about our staff and the cleanliness of the hotel and most of all thank you for letting others know about your experience at the Chateau.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

The Chateau was a family-friendy wonderful stay! My husband and our 2 children arrived late about 12.00 a.m. We were tired and was suspecting maybe staying for 1 night the lobby was clean and roomy and the night staff were pleased to help us with everything I was starting to have second thoughts on staying for one night only, the rooms were nice and there were no problems the next morning. We decided to stay the whole week My Family and I recommend the Chateau for everyone in the PCB area!

Room Tip: Look for rooms that are high-populated in your area.
3  Thank iluvcilla

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences with us. We are glad that you made that first night choice to be the Chateau and give us an opportunity to become your family place in Panama City Beach. We look forward to many future visits from you and your friends and family. We will be here waiting to welcome you.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

It was our tenth wedding anniversery, and we called ahead and made reservations before hand. Had let Gsr know that it is was our special night! So we get to the room, and it was so clean and because of our comment regarding our anniversery, there was Swan shaped towels on the bed kissing,..so cute and so sweet of them to make our night so special, there was also a card wishing us joy and happiness. What a thougthful gesture for a local couple. Thats not all, we requested a room beachside, gsr told us that one was not available, but when we went to room it was beachside. So if you like to feel welcome this is the place to go.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are glad that you made the choice to stay with us on your 10th wedding anniversary. Congratulations. We hope that you make the Chateau an annual event! We will pass your comments on to all of our staff. Thank you for choosing us.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

Our grown children have been staying at the Chateau and recommended it to us as an less expensive but clean and friendly place to stay in PCB. We took our teenage children who live with their mother in Minneapolis to the beach for the 1st time, they had never been to a beach and not having an unlimited budget we decided to try the Chateau. Although the motel is 50 years old we were pleasantly suprised!! Due to my husband and my respiratory issues we did not make reservations as we wanted to go into the room 1st to see if we were going to be affected. The 1st room we went into had had some heavy smokers previously, although the motel rooms are non smoking the management cannot control what people do in 150 rooms. The desk clerk was very happy to let us enter other rooms so we could see if our breathing was going to be affected. We were given the key to room 429 which has tile instead of carpet, the room was especially clean and fresh smelling, and no hint of having a smoker in it. The kitchenette was very clean and had all the things we needed to have a meal in the room. The room was perfect, an awesome view and the staff could not have been more friendly, kind, and helpful. The grounds were clean, the beach beautiful, plenty of lounge chairs for all, nice pool, and a movie night by the pool on Saturday night. Every time we needed more towels, a trip to the office and that need was taken care of no questions asked. I have read other reviews about the Chateau and saw the complaints about the multiple floors and no elevator. Even with severe breathing difficulties the way in which the motel is built does not mean climbing 4 flights of stairs tho we were on the 4th floor, the parking level is the 3rd floor level which meant one flight of stairs up. The pool level is on the 2nd floor and the cabanas ont the beach level. The stairs were not an issue for us, and the staff is very happy to help carry your luggage to your room if necessary. The beach and pool cams allowed the kid's mother to go to the motel website and see the kids having blast on the beach and pool. We appreciated our stay at the Chateau and loved the "old PCB" feeling of the mom and pop home away from home. We look forward to our next stay ... hmmm wish it were tomorrow!!! If I had any comment I would have liked to have a broom in the area where the ironing board is, it would be nice to sweep the sand from the tile floors. So pleased, Thank you Chateau!

Room Tip: Room 429 is our favorite, outside corner room, very quiet, tile floors, large window and balcony wit...
2  Thank Daventoy
PCNICK, General Manager at Chateau Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

I am very pleased that you and your children had a great time while staying at the Chateau Motel. I am very thankful for you in depth evaluation of my property. I would like to inform you that we have order the brooms and dust pans for our guest rooms. I very much look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

We have recently returned to our home in Alabama after a two day stay at your motel and an extended stay in Central Florida. To say that we were disappointed with our accommodations at the Chateau would be an understatement. My wife requested a room on the beach and was given a room overlooking the pool. The noise made by the kids and the night movies was very disturbing. We were initially given Room 309 but that room was totally unacceptable. Everything was damp in the room to include furniture, bed linens, and even the carpet. The solution by your staff was to move us to Room 310 which was a minor improvement. When we checked out on Saturday morning, 08/11/12, our hanging clothes were damp. The first night we noticed a "howling" sound like the wind blowing but figured it must be coming off the gulf. It made sleep difficult so my wife got up and discovered about an inch gap at the bottom of the entrance door. She eliminated the sound by stuffing a large bath towel under the door. The gap was large enough to allow a snake to crawl into the room. My wife had a 14k gold medical alert (free bleeder) charm that came up missing. She initially thought she had lost the charm and reported this to management, but then remembered leaving it in the room prior to us going out. The charm was never found. The management on duty did not act all that interested concerning the situation. To be honest with you, we would not stay at the Chateau again nor would we recommend it to friends or family.

Jim & Yonnie Manley
Hanceville, AL

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Yonnie M

I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us was disappointing. I can ensure you that I will take every step necessary to eliminate the undesirable issues that occurred during your stay. The only movies that we show are G rated Disney movies, however if our guest find them to be disturbing, I will cancel the program. I sincerely hope that you find the free bleeder charm. Items reported missing or taken from rooms are often found as guest return home and unpack their bags, I hope the same proves to be true for you.