“An Awesome Time”

Laketown Wharf Resort
Reviewed 16 September 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here on 09/05-7. The storm was passing through, so we were worried that we would be stuck in the condo during our entire stay. Wrong! As soon we got there, the weather was nice. We had a one bedroom condo, and it far exceeded our expectations. We were on the19th floor, and the view was awesome. The condo was clean, and the bed was really comfortable. Some reviews stated problems with the elevators. We didn't. But then again, probably because we were there off season. We will definitely be back for the Jazz concerts in next April.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We had a fantastic stay at Laketown Wharf and will definitely be staying here again. It is a very well maintained facility with top of the line condos. We stayed in a two bed/two bath condo even though it was just my husband and I. I won a three night stay here on an auction site for a steal of a price which made it even better. I would pay much more though, because it was an all around great place to stay. Condos have granite counter top, full kitchen, flat screen tv's, organic shower products, huge private balcony & much more. It was definitely a home away from home. The five pools were great and the kid pool looked very cute.
I will say that the photos were deceiving, because this resort is not directly on the beach, but it is right across the street. The walk to the beach was a short stroll across the wooden walkway next to pineapple willys which is directly across the street. It was such an easy walk.
We were also happy that there was a wal-mart on the other side of the building which made it very easy to stock up on groceries.
The staff was very nice and laid back. It was an overall perfect stay and we had a wonderful time. I highly recommend staying here, especially if you can get a deal like we did on an auction website.

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank kayandjay530
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Stayed here last year and I am headed back in a week. The room is huge. It is close to the beach and restaurants. Really nice to have Walmart right across the street. The staff was great and the room was clean. This is the best value I have found in PCB!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank DallasCat_10
Reviewed 29 August 2011

This property is great 5 pools great customer service room was fabulous and the view from the balcony was outstanding. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a place to stay in Panama City, FL

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2011

My family and I have just returned from PCB and our stay at Laketown Wharf. We where more then happy with our Condo the view and the great people who work at the resort. The only problem we had in PCB was one of the vendors who rented jet skies, they where rude and would not honor their own coupons from one of the books that we where given by the Resort. Not the resorts fault. We asked for one of the upper floors and glade we did such a view of the Gulf. Many attractions are near by and many even within walking distance. Pineapple Willy's just across the street Ripleys around the corner just to name a few. Of course the best attraction was the Gulf and the view from the upper floor. We will be back next year.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I stayed at Laketown Wharf August 9-12, 2011 with 3 of my friends. Upon entrance into the room we were amazed. This was our first time in a nice place since one of us is finally 21 and can book rooms at a place like this. I was a little skeptical when I read about the construction going on, but it didn't bother us at all. And as far as access to the beach, just take everything with you at one time and go on over using the walkway on the side of Fat Tuesday's :-). The elevator "issue" didn't bother us either once we found the other set of elevators near the South parking garage. I think the elevators become a problem around check-in and out times. We arrived 30 minutes after check-in time and it was pretty hectic. We stayed on the 12th floor and even the view from there is spectacular. Next time we go, we will stay higher for an even better view. The alligator was a pleasant sight to see as well. The bed in the master bedroom felt better than my own bed here at home! The rooms are very spacious! The light show was interesting to watch especially the ending :-). My best friend and I will be returning next month to stay here for my 21st birthday. I can't possibly imagine staying anywhere else in PCB. Oh, and you can't beat the price!

Room Tip: Stay up high for a beautiful view and try to avoid the main elevators during check-in and out times
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank shaunab90
Reviewed 9 August 2011

There are plenty of reviews of this place, so I won't bore you with too many details (well, I'll try). Overall, this place is great and we would definitely come back. I don't think you'll find a better price for a place like this.
I've seen some negative reviews regarding the beach, construction, and other things that are partly out of the hotel's control.

The beach: I can see (due to the bar/restaurant across the street) the possibility of finding beer cans and litter on the beach in the mornings, especially on weeks such as spring break. However, we noticed every morning there were people cleaning up the beach around 8am and the beaches were beautiful every day we were out there.

Construction: Outside of the elevators, dealing with the construction on the road (Thomas Dr.) was the biggest pain, but even that wouldn't have been enough for us to wish we stayed somewhere else. Again, the hotel has no control over the construction, and it is temporary. I think once it's finished it will make the resort even more beneficial since it looks like they are adding a larger walkway and widening the road.

Pros & Cons (Summary):
We stayed on the 20th floor in a 3-br /bunk-beds condo. So, I can't speak too much for other floors and/or rooms.
Pros:
1. The rooms are really nice, and spacious. We had a three bedroom condo with the bunk-beds. It was plenty for all six of us, and would have been enough for 2-3 more people.
2. At first I was leery of being on the 20th floor (and my 11-yr old son is afraid of heights). By the second day, we were both looking out to the ocean right in front of the balcony.
3. The 20th floor had its advantages, especially with the elevators. We were always one of the first on, and by the time we'd reach the 12th floor, it would be too packed to fit others. So, we never really experienced anything more than a 10 minute wait. Also, the view is fantastic from that high up as you can see over the two condos directly in front of the hotel.
4. Plenty of pools. We mostly hung out at the main pool on the ground floor and the other large pool on the South parking garage on the 10th floor. Never had trouble finding a place to sit.
5. Staff was nice and very polite.
6. Balconies are huge. The largest I've ever had at a hotel or resort.
7. There is a lot to do around that area (miniature golf, go-carts, restaurants, etc.). A Wal-Mart is right across the street and we walked to it several times (tip: make sure to go before 10am or late at night).
8. Though not really the resort's doing, the beach is beautiful and the water was clear (outside of some seaweed) and calm all week. My wife and I did go down one time before 8am and the beach (around the chairs) was still messy with beer cans and litter from the night before, but it really wasn't that bad and they do clean it up really good. You'll get this all along the beach no matter where you stay (may get luckier in an area without a restaurant/bar).

Cons:
1. The elevators. We found out the higher you are, the better chance you won't be waiting on an elevator. Be sure to use the glass/central elevators when going down. The side elevators do take forever to finally make it up. Also, we packed everything the night before and loaded the cars by 7:30am. Had no issues with checking out, but highly recommend leaving by 8am. We were also able to reserve a luggage rack/carrier the night before to use the next morning (just a tip).
2. We had one scary moment at 3am one morning. It ended up being an issue with the pool equipment, but the fire alarm went off having everyone leave their rooms. Going down 20 floors in a crowded stairway was not too fun. However, I'm sure it's not a normal routine, but thought I'd mention it.
3. Road construction - Not really to the fault of the hotel. Just a minor pain while they work on finishing it, which looks close to being completed. It also made it a pain sometimes driving in and out of the place.
4. They do not clean the room daily. However, you can request it for additional fees. They do provide plenty of towels and other products to get you started (dish soap, detergent, paper towels, etc.).

Well, I tried to keep it short. We really loved the place and I hope this review has helped add to anything that was missed in other reviews.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank stretch37