“Nice Location - Decent Condo - Royal American Beach Getaway's, not so much” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Laketown Wharf Resort

Laketown Wharf Resort
Memphis, Tennessee
“Nice Location - Decent Condo - Royal American Beach Getaway's, not so much”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

This is somewhat wordy but here goes.
We spent 4 nights at this facility in July 2014. The location is near lots of attractions, restaurants, and is across the street from Wal-Mart which is terribly busy and prices seem to be higher than home for the same basic goods!
The facility appears fairly new but the furnishings and beds are what ever the actual owner decides to leave there. So it is a crap shoot like most places that have owners that lease out their condos.
The queen mattress in one of our rooms was really in need of replacement and the bed spread was very basic and looked quite old. It was clean though
The condo did have just about everything you would need to fix meals but bring your own condiments including salt and pepper and paper towels and bath tissue as only one roll is provided!
There is a cool fountain and light show each night at 20:30 and lasts about 15 minutes with short clips of a variety of music. This is nice if you have a lake view as you can sit on your balcony and enjoy. If you have this view the ocean and main pools are outside your front door on the common balcony.
Much has been written about the elevators and rightly so, they are badly designed in my view and I did pick up on how the system works fairly quickly but the problem is there are not enough of them at times and being a 25 floor facility it is just too much climbing for the average person to try and take the stairs. Our average wait was a good ten minutes and sometimes more. Also the way the parking garage elevator access to the rooms is laid out is bad in my view.
All and all the staff AT THE FACILITY was nice and friendly and tried to be helpful. We booked through Royal American however and I would never do that again. The staff there was robot like and I noticed several other quests with problems and I got the feeling the attitude was who cares. The real thing that totally ticked me off was that we went to the hotel AFTER he advertised 4:00 check in time, and we were told to go to the RA office about10 minutes away in traffic, waited in line and was told the room was not ready to check back about 5:00 - WHAT? Fine we were also told to go back to the hotel and see the front desk there and when the room was ready TO COME BACK TO RA to get a code to get in to the room as that is the way the door works. We asked can't the desk clerk at the condos give us one? NO, You need to come back. With today's cell phones, etc. this makes absolutely no sense. We finally went up to the room and asked the cleaning lady on the floor if our room was ready and she said yes. Now we get to go back to the RA Office and ask for a number for the lock? So we are supposed to have a room ready at 4:00 and absolutely check out at 10:00 but it is ok for them to be an hour late and have us go back and forth from condo office to their office. I could accept the late check in as it happens sometimes if it wasn't for the run around RA gave us up front. It made me want to intentionally stay an hour late but that would have only hurt future quests so I did not.
You do have to walk across the street to get to the beach and Pineapple Wiley's is on the way if you are still frustrated from dealing with RA!

Room Tip: Forget the room try to find a parking spot in front of the desk check in BUT NOT the 15 min area so...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed at Laketown during the third week of July, 2014. The property was full. The problem with the elevators cannot be over stated. I would wager that you you leave a hotel a mile away, drive, and park and beat a Laketown guest to the beach. Throw in the fact that you could stop by and get something to eat on the way back and your really ahead. The condo is right across from a busy restaurant and the dumpsters are emptied at 5:30 a.m. every morning. There's your wake up call. The rooms are big but are well worn. The carpet is terrible. There was moldy, water damaged drywall in the bathrooms. We stayed at Laketown because we were there for a baseball tournament and the team got to stay together.That, coupled with an ok price drew us in. If your there for some reason similar it might be worth staying there. If not , keep looking.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Trace B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Most things went well and most of the complaints about elevators were from people who didn't understand the system. You have to input your floor and get on the right elevator. Most we had to wait was still under 5 minutes. Big room and strong wi fi sugnal even for multiple devices and we had a great time at the pools. Will be back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at this facility and I my experience was the worst. The staff is loud and some what rude. It took from 12-4 for me to get a call back for check in but the date that I left house keeping knocks on the door @10:09 to clean the room. Really!! Then when I tried to get a late check out the girl on the front desk said the latest I could check out was 10:30 BECAUSE someone was in route. (I waited 4 hrs to get a check in call) How rude and unfair was that.I when I checked out they had a lame excuse I was not feeling at all. I feel as if that was bull but I definitely will not be booking or give a referral the this site. I come to Florida often and I got married in Panama and this facility was the worst so far as customer service. The front desk needs more training on carrying personal conversations and being loud. Elevator smells bad and nasty. O dont let me forget I had to pay for ice because the ice maker was empty and there were no ice machines a v again cost 2 bucks. That was the first ever a cheap room even has a ice maker. This is only my opinion check it out abd be the judge!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Alexis H
Conyers, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

July 14-18. Good-Bad-Ugly. Good=vacation, Bad Urine Smell in bedroom, Ugly=The Smell was urine in the bed. Someone had peed in the bed and the stain was on the mattress, box spring and smell in the carpet. We stayed in the room 2 nights before I found out from housekeeping about the urine stain in the bedding. We was moved to an upgrade room.

Please note Laketown is NOT on the beach but across the street.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of lake and ocean.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GrannyCTB
illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed for 3 nights (July 7-10) so I understand that it is peak summer season. I read the reviews before making the reservations so prepared myself for the elevator situation. There are 21 floors and we were on floor 19--we had to use the elevators. They are slow with no air conditioning--which is a problem when you stop at each floor prior to yours! We were soaked by the time we exited. Also, a moving crew had taken over 1 of the 2 elevators on our side of the building for 2 days which made the waits for the single elevator very lengthy. They need to figure out a better way/time for moves into the building. I also didn't realize that there are no internal hallways...you enter all units from the outside walkway. So beware if you are afraid of heights.

Our unit was 1908. The unit was large and the kitchen was stocked well. Me, my husband and our teenagers (ages 19 & 16) were very comfortable. The 19th floor provided a nice view of the ocean. If you are in units 1 thru 8, you will pretty much have an unobstructed view. The other units will have the Towers Condos directly in front of them and you will have to sit to one side of your balcony to see the ocean. The bathrooms were good size however they really need to be recaulked. Also, there should be recurring maintenance on the a/c so they change the filter monthly--ours was filthy!

We never used the beach access next to Pineapple Willy's. There is closer beach access directly across the street from our side of the condos. The easiest way to describe that access is when looking at the Towers Condos, look to the left of the east tower, you will a small yellow 3 story house. There is paved beach access on both sides of that yellow house.

All in all, this was a mediocre property.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 01-08 will have better views of the ocean (especially the upper floors).
1 Thank afmom
Chattanooga, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Good trip...nice condo...I'm currently waiting for my third elevator down attempting to move out luggage from the 14th floor to the parking lot. The first elevator took 30-35 minutes and made it down with the first load...finally just left the second elevator after waiting for a long period of
time...now I'm on the third elevator and we're past the 30 minute mark again. I'd take your money and go elsewhere...unless you want to spend your vacation waiting on elevators!

• Stayed July 2014