“New, Clean, Friendly, Spacious - Loved It!”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Panama City Beach Pier Park
Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in Panama City Beach
Reviewed 15 January 2011

During my road trip vacations I always find one of the places I stay to be my favorite - not necessarily because I like the city or whatever, but because the hotel just fits. The LQ Panama City Beach Pier Park is one of them. I stayed on two different occasions over a period of two weeks because I liked it so much.
The property itself is large and rather new, an original La Quinta as it appears. There is sufficient parking available all around the building. The lobby is large with a heigh ceiling and huge front desk. I found the front desk staff to be extremely friendly and courteous. Being a Returns member I received my room upgrade without even asking about it at both times, which has never happened before. When I extended my stay for a second night based on the previous night's online reservation their front desk PC apparently showed the standard rate. The clerk immediately asked about my previous night's rate and overrode it. Whenever I walked by I was greeted by the employee on duty and frequently encouraged to come see them if there was anything I needed. And it was not only the front desk - being on vacation I did not want to get up early and sometimes spent time in the room during the day. Never once was I bothered by housekeeping, they completely managed to work around my schedule, leaving a note that they would return later, or quickly cleaning up when I had left.
Based on the upgrade I found myself in an executive mini-suite instead of a standard room. Everything looked brand new, the sofa, the beds, the curtains, tables, even carpets - it was all in very good shape. The bed was very comfortable. The room had a refrigerator, microwave and flat-screen TV affixed to the wall. The bathroom was large and clean. I found a USA Today under my door each day and also received all other benefits for Returns members without ever asking, this is often not the case...
Other reviews complain of poor cellphone reception - while I did not have trouble with that, I did have issues with the on-site Wifi. Maybe it was my device, but reception in both rooms I had (near the end of the hallway) was poor, I had to go into the bathroom to at least get a weak but steady signal. Room for improvement here.
All that said, it's time to turn to the location. At the time I made my first reservation there were no reviews available on TripAdvisor so I had to rely on advertisements and maps. Well, they claim that the beaches are .5 miles away. While this is not technically a lie, don't get excited. The real beaches where most of the action is, are a couple of miles to the south east, depending on time of day plan for 10+ minutes in the car. Its easy to find, but you are NOT staying at a beach resort. Quite the opposite, the hotel ist located about half a mile inland on US-98. The location is quiet despite the 4-lane road, but you won't be able (or willing) to walk through the residential streets towards the small beach. Take a car, its simple, but you're doing yourself a favor. For non-beach fun (shopping, dining, entertainment) you'll want to check out Pier Park, which is roughly 3 miles/5 min from the hotel. Again, its easy to reach, just down the road. Food-wise also plan for a drive, there is absolutely nothing near the hotel.
In summary: don't expect a beach resort, don't expect to be in the middle of things, but what you will get is a new, clean, well-maintained, friendly property at acceptable prices that is within a short distance of the area's attractions. I did not try the other La Quinta property in town which is way more central and has comparable prices, but I would no hesitate to recommend this hotel to others and stay again myself.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank aRTie81
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Panama City Beach Pier Park

Reviewed 13 October 2010

This hotel was a good value, room was clean, the staff was friendly and helpful, breakfast looked good, but was too crowded and I didn't have time to wait. Pier Park is near and is a great place to both eat and shop. I would stay again.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 October 2010

This location is brand new. The rooms are clean, the a/c unit is quiet, the Bright Side breakfast was awesome. We went to PCB for Thunder Beach Fall Rally. We were in a great location, close to everything, but far enough away from all the motorcycle noise. I would reccommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2010

This place is new and so it's nice, clean and modern. Beds/pillows were comfy, nice large bathroom. Didn't have any problem with the wireless (took me a minute to figure out how to get it started though). The location is not close to the beach (you would have to walk a ways in my opinion to get to the beach), and there really isn't anything else within walking distance.

My only 2 complaints though were small: While checking in the clerk made me sign a paper stating that the hotel is 100% smoke-free (which is fine with me) and we would get charged a fee if caught smoking. No problem. I go back outside to get luggage and the same clerk steps literally right outside the front door and starts smoking! Had to walk through her smoke to get inside - didn't make sense to me. I'd think they would have a designated area for smokers that wasn't right outside the main door.

The other thing was the breakfast - paper plates, choice of 1 meat, a weird round egg, choice of 2 cereals, bread and make your own waffles. The sign on the waffle maker said to leave them in an extra 10 seconds. I made a very thin waffle, and left it in for the 10 seconds but when I sat down to eat it the middle was still raw. Also only had syrup (at another hotel they had strawberries and whipped topping which was nice. Orange juce tasted bad too. So I would not pick this place for their breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank sugabutt
Reviewed 29 August 2010

I had reservations for the hotel, and when we arrived, check-in only took, literally, about a minute. The hotel was 100% smoke-free, which was a major plus. The room was extremely nice; it was large, clean, well decorated, and the TV was a nice LG flatscreen. They had free WiFi which worked great. The bathroom was clean as well. The bed was very comfortable; there were about four pillows to choose from, so my husband had two fluffy pillows and I was able to have my flatter, firmer pillow. They even had Dominos on speeddial, which made it nice since we'd been travelling all day. They had a drink vending machine and an ice maker on the floor we were on, and they also had a snack vending machine in the lobby. Breakfast was wonderful; they had waffles, bagels, toast, yogurt, cereal, fruit, and sausage, plus coffee and juice. All in all, it was a great hotel, and when we travel in the future, we'll make sure to look for a LaQuinta first.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Just stayed a week here and it was a great experience. The day manager was a friendly and accomodating guy, the ownership was on site and hands-on to ensure a positive stay and the rooms and common areas were clean and up to date. The internet issue can be interesting but if you simply select a previously viewed site through the drop down box, the agreement page comes up and internet is available and quite speedy. It's not beachfront, but if that doesn't matter to you (it didn't to us), it's a wonderful hotel with exceptional personal service and very clean, nice and new facilities.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2010

The hotel was real nice and clean but the beds are very hard and if you have AT&T you can forget about your phone working...could not get a Internet connection either. Staff was very friendly though if they could fix those problems would go back again!!