“A Really Bad Experience”

The Beachside Resort
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Panama City Beach
Augusta, Maine
“A Really Bad Experience”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

After reading reviews on Trip Advisor, our experience here was a real shocker. Our single queen room was 11' 10" square. There was a dresser opposite the bed which allowed just enough room to pass by. There was no chair; if you wanted to sit down you could choose the bed or the toilet. The only flat surface anywhere was the dresser which was made unusable because the tv was on it. No closet. The drawer on the tiny nightstand was rendered unusable by the AC unit which blocked it. There was a small ribbon window high on one wall which was so high you couldn't see out. It's the kind you usually see in a bathroom; the result was you felt like you were in a closet. The walls were paper thin. The bathroom was tiny.

The beach area is fabulous and the hotel provides nice beach furniture. Although we didn't use the pool, it was a well maintained area and very appealing. There is also a raised deck, with very nice chaise lounges, chairs, and tables. Staff is friendly. Wifi is very good. In contrast to most other hotels we have stayed at in the past 14 days, everything in the room worked and it was the only hotel with a textured floor in the tub.

Because other reviews are so good for this hotel, I would recommend that if you decide to stay here, ask not to stay in room 238.

Room Tip: Stay away from 238.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank debsmiley1
John L, General Manager at The Beachside Resort, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
I wanted to thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay at the Beachside Resort. First, let me apologize that you didn't enjoy your stay. The room that you choose, our Queen with an Inland View, is our coziest most economical room. If you're single or a couple, looking to save some money but still vacation on the beach, it's a great choice. If you're need more room to spread out and seeing sunsets from your balcony is important, then another one of our room types might be a better pick. .

Again, I'm so sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay However, I do hope that if you're by this way again, you'll give us another chance. I sure you'll be satisfied.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We just finished up the months of January, February and to mid-March at this wonderful hotel. You can't beat the snowbird prices, the warm heated pool (absolutely the best pool on the beach), weekly housekeeping (no winter cleaning ladies!) the quiet, convenient location and the great staff. There is a crazy little diner across the street which serves great food at affordable prices in a tacky environment. We have a fabulous time with our snowbird friends who come from all parts of the U.S. and Canada to enjoy the winter together. It was our 4th year and we hope to return for many, many years. Thanks Beachside for another great, fun year! We hope to stay even longer next year! B & G.

Room Tip: The rooms with kitchens are great for snowbird living.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelling_fool_47
G and B-- I wanted to thank you for your kind comments. It was great having you stay all here over the winter. Hopefully we won't have another one like it (temperature wise) for a very, very, very long time. We will see you again next year . Until then we'll send along warm thoughts of the pool, the surf and good friends. See you in 2015.
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I'm a mom. My children and I enjoyed a few days on PCB. The pool is heated and the room is clean. It was quiet and right on the beach. It was nice to sit on the balcony and hear the ocean at night. We will stay again. I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Lori D
John L, General Manager at The Beachside Resort, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay at the Beachside Resort. I'm so happy that you and your children had the chance to come to our beach. And yes, I'm not sure there is anything better than watching the sun go down while you listen to the soothing sounds of the Gulf of Mexico. Thank you for recommending us and I hope that we'll see you again very soon.
Dunnellon, Florida
Reviewed 1 March 2014

When I was a little girl back in the 80s, I vacationed here with my parents. Back then, this hotel was called the Sea Witch and had red rooftops. Aside from wishing that A) the hotel was still called the Sea Witch (cool name); B) the internet was better (no Comcast here?); and C) the hotel would take my dog (most dogs are better behaved and cleaner than most Spring Breakers, and you can always charge cleaning fees), I thought everything was as close to perfect as possible. I paid an off-season price of $71 per night - it will be much more expensive than that once Spring Break hits. We got a top floor 2-bedroom with a gulf front balcony. If I could nitpick one more time, one bedroom has the flat screen tv and gulf view, and the other bedroom has no tv, no view. My mother took the latter bedroom, despite my insistence she take the 'good one', but she is a saint who never stops spoiling people rotten (I can't help it!). So I took the good room: the bed was comfortable, the tv had good cable reception, the gulf view was incredible, and at the top it was quiet as a mouse. The carpet was clean; my bare feet came up clean (thank you!) The kitchenette had a full size fridge, cabinets, sink, and microwave. There was no regular stove, but that is OK. The bathroom was small and vintage but was clean and had a good walk-in shower. The balcony was small but who cares. The view was incredible. Just don't lean on that railing; it is a bit scary. The emerald waters and beach, no doubt smooth from being so often trod upon, make up an incredible view. In a way, I prefer Panama City Beach (specifically the quieter west end of Laguna Beach/Sunnyside) to my other sentimental childhood place, Sanibel Island, and that is saying a lot because Sanibel is ranked the #1 destination in the world for a reason! The hotel shows its age in some areas. The elevators are rickety and scary; sometimes I took seven flights of stairs to avoid them but also relive my childhood when I played on those stairs. I didn't use the pool, but the pool area and gardens beside it were very nicely kept. I've been in a lot of hotels in a lot of cities, luxury and budget, and this hotel is one of my favorites, even though it is a little ragged around the edges simply because of its age but that is part of its charm. I can't come as often as I like because it is painful to leave my German Shepherd, but it is an easy 7-hour drive from where I currently live, and I will be back!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank RootlessRoamer
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay at the Beachside Resort. it's so wonderful to hear from our guests that have been coming to the property since "the good ole days". The Sea Witch has a proud history in Panama City Beach lore and I can only hope to add to that legend as we move forward with the Beachside Resort.

To a couple of your unique comments: we do have plans to add a TV to the second room in our two room units. Also, I'm sorry you we aren't able to also welcome your German Shepherd to our property. It was a tough decision, but one we came to after considering that Bay County rules do not allow pets on our beach. I will also follow up with our engineering staff concerning your remarks about our elevators.

Again, thank you so much for coming back and revisiting those great memories from your past. My hope is that we are allowed to help you make more memories in the future. Thanks again, and we hope to see you again very soon.
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here this past weekend (Valentine's weekend). We had never stayed here before... Just happened to find it online and loved the price! Everyone at the front desk was so helpful and nice. This is also one of the cleanest hotels I've ever stayed at. Another plus is that we never heard anyone in the rooms beside ours. Would most definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank PC0327
I wanted to thank you for sharing some feedback about your recent stay at the Beachside Resort. I'm so glad you had a great Valentine's Day -- there is nothing better than the beach with that someone special. I'll make sure to share your kind remarks with our staff and department managers. Again, thank you so much for staying and we hope to see you again very soon.
Kindred, North Dakota
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We booked this room from my iphone only a few hours before arriving. We weren't sure what to expect, but we were very pleased. The first draw was the gorgeous view of sand and sea outside our second floor balcony. The room was very nice, fresh and clean, and we appreciated the large refrigerator in our kitchenette. When we return to the area, this will most definitely be our hotel of choice!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BeachLoversAC
John L, General Manager at The Beachside Resort, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
I am so glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Beachside Resort. What a beautiful picture. What they say is correct, a picture does paint 1000 words -- I never get tired of seeing the sand and the gorgeous Gulf. Again, thank you so much for your feedback and we can't wait to see you the next time you travel along the Emerald Coast.
Springfield, Ohio
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Eureka! This is it! We absolutely loved our 7th floor room! The private balcony was awesome! The beach is wonderful and just mere steps away! The staff is great and so friendly and ready to help. We spent 11 nights there and fully intend to go back. We enjoyed it so much that we called some family and they came down for a few days as well. We loved being away from the commercialized city part of the beach. The beds were very comfortable and everything was nice and clean. A love seat would make the room just a bit better to add to the one chair that is in the room. The WiFi was free but a little slow, maybe because we were at the opposite end from the office. Thanks for a GREAT stay!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
John L, General Manager at The Beachside Resort, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
I wanted to take a minute and thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay at the Beachside Resort. I'm so glad you had a great time! Many of our guests are having the same "Eureka" feeling you experienced. And you're right, the views from the 7th floor are outstanding! I'll also make sure the staff is informed of your kind comments. Again, thank you for taking the time to post your comments and we look forward to seeing you again sooni