“Very Disappointed”

Sunbird Suites
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The Sunbird's E903 is awful! We arrived on Saturday to check in, only to be told @4pm, "not ready" we returned after 430pm and the dayshift clerk was gone & no one even realized we needed to check in after that. When we got into the condo it was dirty, food on fridge door, dishwasher had molded food in it, the bathroom doors had makeup all over them and later we discovered "panty liners" stuck to the chest of drawers in the master bedroom. We called from desk and they sent the cleaning team back, whom were very apologetic. When opening the balcony door, the blinds were laying in the floor, the screen door was laying propped up against the balcony rail, the hideaway bed had cheese or something funky stuck in it and the bathroom wallpaper was falling off the walls! We called the front desk and let then know about all of this and no one ever came up. We went and bought our own cleaning supplies to clean and disinfect before we even unpacked. Then that night when we showered the drain was stopped up and we called the front desk, no one came to address the ankle high water in the tub. The next day the doorknob almost came off the hinges in the bedroom and the mirror actually did fall as we walked by it, thankfully it was caught and the screw was dangling out of the sheetrock. Again, we spoke with someone at front desk whom was rude, like we "bothered" her and later that night someone came to retrieve the screen from balcony and said "you won't be charged for the mirror but I don't have the tools to fix it"....really? My husband took his swiss knife and fixed the doorknob and we propped up the mirror in the bedroom so it wouldn't get broken. As the owners of rental properties, we would be HORRIFIED to rent out something in such poor shape as this condo was! All this would have taken was a little TLC and about $75 and it all could be fixed, even the fridge needed a little appliance paint because of the rust. All I can say is shame on the Royal American is they're the managers of these properties because they aren't doing their job and if it's the condo owner, then they're nothing but slum lords!!! When we checked out this morning, all we got was a "sorry here's the RA managers email/number, no eye contact or nothing, at least we could have gotten our cleaning fee back for the lack there of cleaning that was done. We left it cleaner than when we got there 5 days ago, we are just really disgusted and if we could've found vacancies elsewhere we would've checked out Sunday morning.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Marisa S
ResortCollection, Manager at Sunbird Suites, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
We thank you for taking the time to write this feedback and I am sorry for the issues you experienced. However, you stated you booked through Royal American. There are many different management companies that rent units at Sunbird and I represent the onsite management, therefore I cannot speak to your issues. I urge you to try the Sunbird again to experience a great beach vacation in the heart of Panama City Beach.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Moores Hill, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here several times. It is on the up swing,frest paint outside,being refreshed. Great value for your money. Why pay more than u have to. U can walk to most everything. Some people are just to picky.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Patty O
ResortCollection, Manager at Sunbird Suites, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you very much. We are so happy to hear that you are a repeat guest of Sunbird. Our resort is located directly on the Gulf of Mexico and in the heart of Panama City Beach. We look forward to your next visit.
atlanta
Reviewed 9 June 2014

After telling Royal American Beach Getaways on a phone reservation back in March for a June stay that the Sunbird was TOO SMALL for our party of 3 (girls get away), we booked Nautical Watch instead. Upon arrival Royal American Beach Getaways checked us in (my confirmation printed out, I handed it to them that said NAUTICAL WATCH unit B8) and they gave us keys....we went to Nautical Watch. Keys DID NOT FIT! Went back to Royal American Beach Getaways to find out problem and the problem was they gave us keys to SUNBIRD CONDOS!! What? We were told not by phone at any time between March and our June arrival, NOR were we told when we were checked in, they just acted as if it was Nautical Watch B8 keys they were giving us! They were UNAPOLOGETIC!! They were rude, uncaring and for two hours UNACCOMMODATING!! Finally just as the sun was setting we checked into a condo where the frig didn't work and neither did the Bedroom TV. DO NOT USE ROYAL AMERICAN BEACH GETAWAYS unless you wish to have your vacation ruined with incompetent employees and rude behavior!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank kaybird1
ResortCollection, Manager at Sunbird Suites, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
I’m sorry. I represent the onsite management for Sunbird and not Royal American. I do hope you resolve your issues with them and perhaps think of the Sunbird or one of our other many properties when your travel plans bring you back to Panama City Beach.
Jasonville, Indiana
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Arrived a couple hrs early hoping, but
not expecting to check in early. Front desk hostess was rude, disrespectful, & cut me off in the middle of a question about my room, stating that she would call me when the room was ready & speak to me about it then. We drove around to kill time. At 4:30, I called the front desk and asked for a manager. Manager was a blonde on site at the Edgewater. She was even more rude. Talked OVER me when I was trying to express my concerns...seeing as now it was nearly an hour past our check-in time. It was ridiculous. Did I mention we had to pay an additional $150 at the front desk for cleaning fees...this was a surpise, but the hostess assured me it was written in the fine print of our confirmation...after we had already booked/paid for it, of course. When we finally got to our room with an ocean view that we PAID FOR, the ceiling fan blades were all broken off and the base was hanging out of the ceiling. The furniture was DISGUSTING and stained. Wouldn't let my dog sleep on it. Toilet was filthy dirty. When we finally got our patio door forced open...guess what our view was?! The front desk where my buddy the hostess was working. I felt like I was on MTVs Punked. When my 200 pound, 6 ft husband couldn't get the patio door closed back, I walked to the front desk and I asked for my money back. She said "sorry, but you signed a paper when you got here stating that we don't give refunds." I told her that the Motel 6 we crashed in the night before was nicer and I was NOT sleeping here. Finally, a young man (I presume the owner) poked his head out of an office and made her make it right. He was very apologetic and told me that they had just taken over new ownership and a lot of stuff needed tweaked and fixed. While I appreciated his help, I do offer one piece of advice...as soon as you get those rooms fixed...start "tweaking" your staff!

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank kens23sb
I do apologize that you experienced theses issues. We take your comments seriously and I assure you your concerns will be discussed with the appropriate department heads. Once again, I do apologize and I hope that you will return so that we can provide you with quality accommodations and great customer service that we are used to providing.
Oklahoma City
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We arrived early...we had previously requested an early check in and were told there was no guarantee of an early check in until the day of check in. OK, fine. I called at 9 am only to be told that the guest hadn't checked out yet---fine, check out is at 10 am. I called again just before our arrival (around noon) and was told the room wasn't ready yet. OK, I totally understand that it may take more than 2 hours to clean a room. We showed up at the condo, went to check in so that when our room was ready we could just get the keys. So, I PIF and checked in to be told by Melissa that she would call my cell when the room was ready! I thought that was a great idea...but I NEVER got that call. Showed up at 3:58 to check in (check in time is 4pm) only to find a sign on the door that said "OPEN" Will be back at 4pm. I was so angry that I snapped a pic of the hand written note...immediately after taking that picture, Melissa practically runs to the door to let me in and picked the keys up off of the counter and handed them to me...the room was already ready before she decided to take some break! I expressed my anger and she blankly stared at me. We went to the room...we requested a higher up floor months in advanced...we were given room # 102 in the east tower. We were so angry when going into the condo...it was NOT worth the $...we requested a room change and were told that there wasn't anything available but they could accommodate us at their other location for an up charge of $150 per night! Unacceptable! The room was clean, that's the only nice thing I could say about it. The blinds literally fell off every time we opened the patio door, there were hardly any dishes for cooking meals, no curtains or drapes, no sheets, 4 towels for 3 guests for 1 week, and there was a moth eaten blanket left there for our use. I went to the front desk and got sheets, towels, and another crappy blanket...with not even an apology! Additionally, the "heated"pool wasn't heated, we were made to wear some stupid bracelets the entire time we were there, the beach was not kept up, paint chipping all over the condo, dresser and nightstands were so old and I swear it looks like there is mold growing on them at the base. We were so ready for a nice relaxing vacation and I feel this location ruined it for us...I wouldn't ever stay here again...unless I knew who I was renting from. So disappointed!

Room Tip: Any request you make is considered a "preference" and not guanranteed...if your OK with ge...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jennz78
ResortCollection, Manager at Sunbird Suites, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
I thank you for writing this review and bring your concerns to our attention. I can assure you that I have discussed your concerns with our appropriate department heads and your comments are taken seriously. I do urge you to try us again so that we can provide you with the quality accommodations and customer service you are used to receiving and we are used to providing.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Great Value. The views from the living room and balcony are breathtaking. I love being able to sit in the a/c and watch the sunset over the ocean. The swimming pools were nice to relax. Each room is a little different. I loved staying in Unit 410E so nicely decorated and had everything I needed. Would stay over and over again.

Room Tip: I would suggest staying in room 410E great price, great view and nicely decorated.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank zzzannna
ResortCollection, Manager at Sunbird Suites, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you so much for providing this terrific review about your recent stay at Sunbird. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and of course the amazing view of the Gulf of Mexico. Once again, thank you and we look forward to you returning when your travel plans bring you back to Panama City Beach.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Cable tv out for days. NO wi-fi at all. No cell phone Svc unless u go to ground level! False advertising all around. No heated pool either! Also I would expect more than 2 towels for 2 people for 5 days!! Maybe two towels per day.

• Stayed April 2014
ResortCollection, Manager at Sunbird Suites, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write down your thoughts on your recent stay. I will be sure to pass along your concerns regarding the internet and cable to the Homeowner Association. These issues are uncommon and I do apologize. We hope that you will visit us again to enjoy a wonderful beach vacation right in the heart of Panama City Beach.