“Spring break experience” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Panama City Beach
New York City, New York
“Spring break experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Location: right along beach, literally right across a convenience store, and has a wonderful view. Keep in mind that there are two hot spots in PCB, this is on the less crazy side. The more typical spring break area is more east. I actually enjoyed this more because I can relax and socialize and then travel to the other side for the ragers at night. Nice balcony view!
Rooms: it was comfortable livable and mediocre. We only used to really sleep, shower, and leave our stuff in. They asked for a cash $400 security deposit in the beginning-**make sure you do a through room check in the beginning, otherwise they WILL charge you!**. They also gave us wristbands which cost $10 to replace if broken and $50 to replace if lost! Free wifi available only in lobby. Staff was friendly and quick to service. The exterior and interior of the room seemed outdated.
-Cleanliness: it was good, we did not see any bugs or anything like that. The sofa bed was dirty was stains and rust, but other than that it was fine. What was alarming was that we had found drug paraphernalia left from the previous tenant in one of our drawers! We quickly disposed of this.
-Safety: I don't know if it was just for the spring break season, but I felt safe because there was always police officers patrolling around. They never stopped to check your IDs or anything--everyone was out with open cans drinking and everything. I was glad that they were so close if anything ever happened.
-Utilities: the TVs were old and somewhat functional, our toilet was terrible in that it took a long time to fill, and in turn could not flush well, our room had a kitchen (which we primarily used the fridge, microwave, and toaster).
-Room service: will come to change sheets every other day, and comes around to exchange new towels and toss trash everyday
-Continental breakfast: bagels, blueberry/chocolate muffins, yogurt, OJ, apple juice--all for your taking. We just woke up between 7-9am and just grabbed what we wanted and went back to our rooms.
-CONS: the door had a tendency to not close all the way, make sure you lock it! our balcony door did not lock, really loud surroundings that will go early in the morning and late into the evenings, the sofa bed is god awful and will hurt your back,

Room Tip: Rooms with kitchens were very useful (I heard 2-person rooms have tiny fridges)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Steph W
Brian G, Front Office Manager at Beachbreak By The Sea, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a well-thought-out review of our property! First and foremost, I hope you enjoyed your Spring Break!

Your detailing of the property and its features was very accurate I must say. We are an older hotel, but with that comes a certain charm due to the fact that it is not your standard "cookie cutter". We are constantly renovating to try to keep up with the Jones'. For instance, the entire pool and pool deck was redone this off season, and we have just laid new carpet in all of the rooms. We are very excited about these two projects being completed! We have about half of the property now with updated flat screen TV's as well, and that is another work in progress.

Our staff service and friendliness is above all what we try to provide, and thank you for acknowledging that aspect of our property.

In your cons, you mentioned the sofabed being uncomfortable. This is not lost on management, as we are expecting to have all new sofas/sofa beds by this time next year. We are hoping that this comes to fruition! :) I am sorry that you had trouble with your doors and/or locks, and I hope that someone from maintenance was able to assist you with that if it was reported.

Alas, the noise is a large part of Spring Break. As you detailed, we do have Security here throughout the evening and overnight, as well as Managers on Duty. We do our best to keep the noise to a dull roar after hours, but we do want our Spring Breakers to have a good time and enjoy themselves! I hope that if you let us know about any noise issues we were able to rectify them, and if we were not, I do apologize.

Again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts, and we hope to see you again so you can see some of the improvements we are trying to make!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Covington, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed and had bed bugs they offered us another room.we went to look at it and some one had got sick on the bed and flipped the mattress. This was the only other room available. So the gave us one night free and we had stayed 7 days. They came in and sprayed our room. But next day seen another bug. Not happy at all

• Stayed October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank khamby69
Brian G, Front Office Manager at Beachbreak By The Sea, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
I am sorry that you have chosen to share your experience in a falsified manner. In researching the situation, written documentation shows a completely different account of the events that transpired during your stay. I suppose that tends to happen when the review is posted 5 months after the fact.

I will respect the fact that you did not have a good stay, and I would like to discuss our difference in view points if you contact the hotel directly as opposed to a public forum.

Beachbreak is an older hotel, but one thing we pride ourselves on is our service to guests at By the Sea Resorts. I can assure any guest who reads this that our staff's response was much more proactive than the picture that is painted. I can also assure anyone that the resolution was satisfactory to the guest 5 months ago at the time of transaction.

Travellers are raving about these Panama City Beach hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Went to Panama City for a wedding and decided to wait till the last to book a room. Ended up paying around $60 for just a standard room and they ended up over booking so I was upgraded to a suite at no charge. I will agree from the outside it doesn't look like the best hotel but the beachside view is great. Next door is a great bar/restaurant overlooking the beach had some great drink deals but didn't try the food.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Creighton W
Valrico, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

We recently went to Panama City for the night and wanted to stay on the beach for not a lot of money. This place is right on the beach and the pool was ok. The rooms are old and everywhere you go there is a faint smell of urine. Tiny rooms and we did not feel safe. Someone pounded on the door and tried to get in the room. The front desk was notified and was completely non-responsive. This place is probably only good for poor teens on spring break! Yuck!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank tlander
Villa Rica, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I made a last minute decision to go to PC Beach and when I called around for reservations, this was the first hotel that I called that had a room, so I booked it. I arrived three hours early, so the front desk told me that the would text me when my room was ready. My son and I went to the pool to wait. It was an hour after check in time, and I still had not received a message, so I went to the front desk to check on my room. Sure enough, it had been ready but due to a change in staff, they had failed to notify me. No big deal really. The walk to my room was not very pleasant. There were uncovered trash cans at each end of the corridor which did not look very nice, and you got an ever so gentle garbage stench along with the ocean breeze that you felt in the corridor. Lids on trashcans would probably solve that. The floors in the corridors looked nasty and needed a good coat of gray paint to make them look fresh and clean. The room was a little weird. The ceilings were very low. I felt like I was in a box. It did have 2 bedrooms and 2 baths which was handy, and my room was clean. For an older place, they had done all that they could do to the room to make it pleasant. The location of my room was horrible. They stuck me right beside an outside stairwell, so I had the pleasure of greeting everyone that walked by as I sat on my very small balcony. Seriously, there was NO privacy. My bed was right beside the sliding glass doors, so I could not even lay in my bed with the curtains open to view the ocean. I went to the front desk to see if they could change my room, but they said they had no others available. I talked to others who were staying there and they said they loved their room, so maybe I just got a bad one this time. Anyway, the staff was very nice, and their Barefoot Beach Club which is right next door, had excellent drinks and a great atmosphere and friendly staff, but they were inconsistent with their food. One day my burger looked one way, the next day it looked totally different. I was disappointed in their shrimp basket too. It was nowhere near the quality of shrimp that I had ordered this past summer when I was there and stayed at the Legacy. The pool was great, the beach was excellent, and the continental breakfast was a great convenience. In short, if you're basically just looking for a place to stay and don't care much what your room is like as long as it's clean, this place is fine. I personally do not plan to return. The Legacy is more my style.

Room Tip: Ask not to be put next to a stairwell.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kaydee C
McDonough, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We had a very good time staying there. The room was very nice and clean. The beach was wonderful and just a few steps from our room. The staff was very helpful and even found a way for us to extend our stay. Short walks to great places to eat and things to see. We had a wonerful time !!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Decatur, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

This hotel was perfect for a short trip for my husband and I. We loved the location to amenities. Very short walk out to the beach. We stayed on the second level which is just one flight down to the beach. It really was perfect for us. Very relaxing atmosphere and friendly people.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple